Suthep declares end of Bangkok Shutdown

george

I just hope there'll be something left of Lumpini once the protesters finally depart. All the degradation of the other protest areas - the filth and health hazards, will now accumulate in the great Bangkok landmark of Lumpini, whose maintenance has been neglected for the duration of the tent city.

Still, at least we've progressed from a traffic jam in a dump to just a dump with a lake in it.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank heavens - just maybe sanity will prevail. Thailand, a Buddhist nation has chosen the middle road, and for this all are thankful. Maybe if the Democrats begin to see all Thais as parts of the nation, then we can say they are following His Majesty's advice and birthday wish - Thais unite. Long Live the King.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isn't March 3 also the date that Yingluck officially lose the caretaker status ?

March 4. Thaksin passed that point too in 2006 after the elections boycotted by the Dems were anulled but the coup came before his status was clarified in the Constitutional Court. I guess this time it will be clarified, since a case has been filed already.

So in theory what happens after this caretaker status ends. What does the constitution provide for at that point in time. Who runs the government? What provisions provide for another election. I am too lazy to read the constitution and would like to know what is supposed to happen. Thanks for the help.

According to article 3 of the Constitution, the sovereign power temporarily entrusted to the government via the electoral process will be handed back to the people. And since a country cannot function without a government, a new prime minister can be appointed to form an interim government via Article 7 of the Constitution. The president of the Senate will forward the name of the candidate to serve as Thailand's next prime minister to His Majesty the King for royal endorsement.

The President of the Senate is pro-Puea Thai, for your information.

The president will forward the name of the candidate, but I doubt he will choose the candidate by himslef, but will therefore consult all the members of the senate.

I don't care who win.

The only things I don't want see in Thailand and some will agree with me are

-land ownership for foreigners

-easy loans

-crazy development like train....

We have already seen that giving tablets and cars loan didn't do anything good. Thai people are hurt from everywhere...

Regrettably Thailand is becoming like USA and Europe. Tax will go up, and destruction of the middle class. As the middle class is pretty much non existent, what will be left in this country?

The best way now to run this country is to keep simple, keep families together , learn to grow your land, promote local exchanges, make you own electricity,and stay out of debt.

Thai people are good at farming and making bike... Keep them in what they are good at.

You are entitled to an opinion, but I see some flaws with it. Foreign corporations can and do own plenty of land in Thailand, this may be concerning, however the little guy, can't buy a house and live in the suburbs quietly, and what would be wrong if he did? I don't see many issues with low level ownership... what you object to, rightly or wrongly, is already taking place and will surely increase if the Asian union gets going. Secondly, taxes improve the middle class structure, not debilitate it... this is JMK 1.01. I agree with keeping families together, but not on the farm, unless we are talking high tech, state of the art style agriculture, (which I don't think you are).

It's somewhat odd to see the Thai Visa Suthep Cheerleaders Squad wriggling and trying to make something of this that it's not. Fact is, the sites are been deserted for ages, most in BKK are incredibly over the shutdown, the deaths, the ongoing thuggishness and beatings of Bangkok citizens, the protection rackets, the economic implications and lost jobs, shooting in the streets, armed guards taking the law into their own hands and the slow destruction of their city - all to advance the power lust of one nasty man and his bosses (and before you chant "Man From Dubai" I mean Suthep).

It's worth noting that last week PT won a local by-election in Bangkok. Right now if it came to a free and unfettered choice between Suthep and YL, I'm thinking YL would still take Bangkok. From the bars of Pattaya it was probably hard to see how many pictures of YL you could find around the city up to the election - a lot. A minority does not become a majority simply by blowing whistles.

The other thing that deeply confuses you lot is the concept that hating all this and wanting it to stop does NOT mean you are supporting Thaksin or "red", it simply means you support process and the rule of law. It means you want Thailand to advance as a nation, not go back under the bloody thumb of yet another "reforming" totalitarian thug. Thailand has had too many of those over the past 60 years. And here you are, championing the advance of yet another hoodlum wanting power.

The winner from Suthep's retreat is Thailand and the Thai people. Hopefully it gives the nation the impetus to push ahead with changes and the idea that Thailand is more than just a small number of powerful people supported by a vast working mass gets through to those who backed this "protest" and pull Suthep's strings.

If the courts do rule against YL and do so without corrupt prejudice (funny how you lot are happy to champion a deeply corrupt court system but rail against Thaksin - how hypocritical), that's good and fine, it's process. The overthrow of an elected government because you can't win elections is not.

So what if they were deserted? The fact of the matter is they are still under the control of the protestors and there is nothing the government could do about it. Whatever the reasons are for Suthep to end the shutdown, it is one stop closer to some sort of peace between the government and the protestors.

It's amusing that you have to tell us it was Suthep and not the 'Man Fron Dubai' when you referred to the someone who wanted to advance his power lust. I guess people would at first thought think of 'The Man From Dubai' before they think of Suthep.

So what if the PTP won the by election? They retained the seat that was already their's in the first place. So did the Dems. As much as this shutdown has inconvenienced Bangkokians, there is no way Poo and her brother's cronies would still be able to take Bangkok. From the bars of Pattaya, it's probably easy to assume that the PTP has gained Bangkok support just because they retained their seat. People here still dislike them.

Well it's okay to support the democratic process even if it means supporting Thaksin and his red thugs. Unfortunately, when you people try to defend him and all the crap he's done, his inept PTP cronies, the rice scam and even his red shirts who want to turn the North into their own state while forming a 600,000 strong militia, then yes, they are 'reds', The reds are so free with calling the protestors 'fascists' and 'thugs' while they conveniently ignore what the reds have done and are trying to do.

When the Shins need the court they use it against their opponents but when the courts rule against the Shins, the courts are 'corrupt', Yeah who's being hypocritical now?

• Like 1

I think Suthep and his allies should be investigated.

Each one of his moves damaged the Thai economy. Could it be possible they bid against certain stocks so that if they lose value, they end up making a huge amount of money?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did that and made billions in the process.

We're one stop closer to peace with Suthep taking a step back ending the shutdown but hey, before the protests are even 100% over, we have red idiots wanting blood and making insinuations without any proof to back it up.

Is it really a step back though? He clearly doesn't have enough people to maintain all the different rally site. if anything, it sounds like he is consolidating all his numbers and strength at one particular site.

If it was really "an end to bangkok shutdown" there wouldn't be a a Lumpini blockage and protest site, would there?

• Like 1

Each one of his moves damaged the Thai economy. Could it be possible they bid against certain stocks so that if they lose value, they end up making a huge amount of money?

We're one stop closer to peace with Suthep taking a step back ending the shutdown but hey, before the protests are even 100% over, we have red idiots wanting blood and making insinuations without any proof to back it up.

Is it really a step back though? He clearly doesn't have enough people to maintain all the different rally site. if anything, it sounds like he is consolidating all his numbers and strength at one particular site.

If it was really "an end to bangkok shutdown" there wouldn't be a a Lumpini blockage and protest site, would there?

Perhaps. But I personally believe that there was some back channel agreement between him and the government. We should know more by next week what's really happening when the caretaker status of Yingluck's government ends. The timing is just too much of a coincidence.

Apart from Crushdepth and TVgerry the usual crew seem to have gone awol over this story

Good..

A bunch of newcomers have appeared in their stead.

Curious.

Normally they pounce on each story within minutes and one has to wade through the rhetoric for 2-3 pages before any sensible comments get made but not on this story.

Something up?

People who voice their opinion against the government are not, by and large, as obsessed about Suthep and the PDRC as the pro-government side would like to believe.

The PDRC did a sensible thing, there's no point in blocking streets when the Thaksin administration is in a dead spiral of its own. Specially in view of the continuous deaths and injuries of protestors and bystanders caused by "third hands".

Now let's see if Yingluck own up to her request of ending the protests as a condition to have a live, one on one, debate.

• Like 1

The plot thickens. Political machinations seem to be evolving on both sides to be "put up or shut up." With Ms Shinawatra having the upper hand at the moment. Unless a third candidate steps forward, which seems unlikely, Suthep looks ripe for defeat, and Yingluck remains the PM.

What newsfeeds are you following??

She is charged and will be found guilty

Her legal term as care taker PM is out in few days

She and her family lost billions

How exactly does she remain on top ??

Maybe I should have said re-elected, but no matter. I am commenting, quite neutrally I might, on the election process. Ms Shinawatra threw a haymaker, and Suthep backed down. Whether or not you or I like it is not the point. Also, charged and being found guilty, or innocent are completely different.
Yes, killing kids on the streets, gathering the red retards beating war drums and threatening civil war while running of north to safety is a brilliant political heymaker.
  • Like 1

I don't know of a single country in the world even the Democracies that have a 100% support base... that is that every possible voter supports them or their policies.. some places have more than 2 political parties and more than two agendas..programs schemes populist policies et al... etc... Whomever is in power is shadowed by the shadow governments set up by the opposition that did not win. Those shadow govts assign individuals to monitor every nuance of the sitting politicians...and there job is too find the cracks,, chasms, valleys and breaks that will give them the most amount of fodder to tear down the sitting group..that is their job...that is what their constituents expect and that goes a long way in keeping things going forward and/or allowing opportunities to use bad decisions as fodder to use as fuel next time around to take the other side down.. So now YL is in a position of having to answer to many serious charges... but at this point that is all they are..anyone can charge anyone here... with anything at any time..if you have the pockets for it..it is no secret that there have been mistakes made by this and every other government that has ever been here... but at this point in time these charges are no more than that...charges... there have not been any convictions yet ...so the process is still in motion... I personally believe that the charges may be greater than the actual transgressions...but one thing for sure.. I cannot predict the outcome...using all the real data available so far it is way too close to call.. and given the inequity in Thai checks and balances and how deeply the corruption is embedded..it is way to risky to even venture a guess what will happen next..it is not over... too much is at stake here...but though it came 3 months too late after too much violence and grief... it seems as if this guy Suthep has been counseled to finally stop his BS attacks and obstreperous behavior.. and for that I am extremely grateful... and I hope that the real Democratic process can begin again...that the appointed interim PM can get elections back on the agenda and this great lil country back to smiling... and these whistle blowers chasing older people down in malls will climb back into their comfy Thonglor homes and find something else to keep them entertained..

but it is not over...

It's not over only because the amnesty bill is still not off the table. We will have to wait for 180 days to expire. It's all about posturing. Incidentally this current caretaker government is fully responsible for the mess they created by introducing the amnesty bill. It would be beneficial for the discussion if you and other red propagandists on this forum could finally acknowledge who created this political crisis instead of continually shifting responsibility.

You are asking a bit much there - the realms of their reasoning does not extend to common sense or truthfulness of facts!!!

Mackie I am neither red or dead or yellow...but one thing for sure...in spite of your leanings and the blinders that you wear I do not and won't stoop to characterizing you as you characterize me... and no this government is not responsible for the insurrection and "whole mess" that you claim they are... much bigger players in this game than you care to acknowledge... but that is fine too you are entitled to your interpretation of media garbage as am I but in the end do we really know...? only in hindsight will we know if anything we have said here was even close to reality and the written history,. so stop with the BS colors crap and get a grip on the big picture

I am also neither red nor yellow and pretty much alive and kicking. We need to get few things straight. I guess you're the one wearing blinkers here. Your lame attempt to absolve the caretaker government from any responsibility has abysmally failed like many times before. No one needs to read any newspapers and rubbish they write. All you need to do is to take off your blinkers and face the facts. The whole mess started with the amnesty bill (uncalled for) folowed up by the rice scheme scam. Without ill-thought amnesty bill neither Suthep nor anyone else whould've been able to galvinse Thai public and start protest. That's how all of this started. You can spin, you can continue wearing your tin foil hat, come up with your own fantastic theories etc...etc...it will not change the fact that the responsibility solely lies with the current caretaker government for the current political crisis. Their corruption and selfishness brought the country to the brink of the civil war once again.

The bigger picture? I love when posters use my own words to get back at me. Be more original next time. Some clues for you. ASEAN, globalisation, Asian pivot, China versus USA...There is much more to Thailand than meets the eye.

Anyway, the deal behind the scenes seems to have been reached only when the protesters started targetting Shinawatras' businesses. It's telling. As long as Thailand was losing money they couldn't be bothered, once their own pockets started 'suffering' suddenly they appear to be cooperative. Of course, only in my humble opinion.

Thai protesters retreat but crisis 'not over'
by Daniel ROOK

BANGKOK, March 1, 2014 (AFP) - Tensions eased in Thailand's strife-hit capital Saturday after protesters abandoned their attempted "shutdown" of Bangkok, but the move was seen as only a temporary reprieve for the kingdom's embattled premier.

The surprise retreat by the opposition demonstrators, who will dismantle many of their barricades, raised hopes of a decline in street violence that has left 23 people dead and hundreds wounded in recent weeks.

There have been increasingly frequent gunfire and grenade attacks targeting the protest sites, mostly at night.

The anti-government movement vowed to keep up its wider campaign, while experts said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's position remained precarious.

An anti-corruption panel is pressing negligence charges against Yingluck that could lead to her removal from office and a five-year ban from politics.

"The protesters themselves could never oust Yingluck from office. Only the courts or a military coup could do that," said Paul Chambers, director of research at the Institute of South East Asian Affairs at Chiang Mai University.

"Most probably judicial intervention will fell the Yingluck government and it is likely to happen in March," he said, adding that a military coup remains another possibility.

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced on stage late Friday that the anti-government movement would abandon its blockade of key road intersections in Bangkok after nearly seven weeks of traffic chaos.

The movement denied the retreat marked a defeat, saying it would keep up its struggle to overthrow a government that it sees as corrupt.

"Our Bangkok shutdown campaign has succeeded. The government is now in disarray and we have got support from the masses," rally spokesman Akanat Promphan told AFP.

From Monday the protesters will consolidate into a single base in the city's Lumpini Park.

The move "does not necessarily spell the end of the protests or represent a setback for the (demonstrators) as long as they continue on their ways and objectives of overthrowing and taking over government," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the

Institute of Security and International Studies at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

"At the same time, they would be hard pressed to generate again the kind of numbers that they had previously," he added.
The retreat follows a recent warning from army commander-in-chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha that the country could sink into civil war unless the two sides pull back.

- Military on sidelines -

"The government is weakened but the protesters did not achieve their core goals," said Thailand-based author and scholar David Streckfuss.

"From the beginning they had two strategies -- either a general uprising or a coup d'etat that would somehow give them a say in the military government that followed. But the military didn't take the bait."

In contrast to the peak of the rallies , when tens or even hundreds of thousands of people flooded the streets of Bangkok, most sites are now nearly deserted for much of the day with a few thousand people attending in the evenings.

"I don't know how long the protests will last but we will try to convince them to negotiate," National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut told AFP.

The anti-government movement wants Yingluck to step aside in favour of an unelected "people's council" to introduce vaguely defined reforms such as tackling alleged corruption.

The protesters obstructed voting in a general election on February 2, plunging the country into political limbo. Election re-runs are due to be held on Sunday in five of the affected provinces.

The backdrop is a nearly decade-long struggle between a royalist establishment -- backed by the judiciary and the military -- and Yingluck's billionaire family, which has traditionally enjoyed strong support in the northern half of Thailand.

It is the "last gasp" of a political system that has traditionally favoured the country's privileged establishment, said Streckfuss.
"The elite can continue but if they tie their wagons to this system, which many people feel does need to change, is this the way they want to go down? I wouldn't think so," he said.

The government's Red Shirt supporters, whose own street protests in 2010 triggered a deadly military crackdown that left dozens dead, has warned they are ready to rise up if Yingluck's administration is toppled by the military or the judiciary.

"Any of the scenarios that remove the caretaker government will be opposed in principle by millions and actively by hundreds of thousands I think," Streckfuss said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-01

I have to re-extend my visa in mid-november.

I hope by then the other guy (the monk) will have liberated the Govt Center at ChaengWattana and I can go to Immigration ...

I don't know my way to the replacement sites (I do the 90-days in Jomtien but my file is in BKK)..laugh.png

The temporary immigration centre is at Imperial Lad Phrao (5th floor). I went there on Thursday for an extension.

Me too. You should have said something and we could have gone for a coffee.

Did you grab one of the red shirts for sale there?

• Like 1

you people not understand !!

this is not the finish for kamnan thep !!

he start now the new season.

we have the season 1 is protest.

the season 2 is shutdown bangkok.

now we have the season 3 is the final season !!

we have the new location at lumpini. have the new power to push for the finish.

we will be victory soon !!

You seem to be confusing real life with soap opera seasons.

• Like 2

'The backdrop to the protests is a longstanding struggle between a royalist establishment -- supported by the judiciary and the military -- and Yingluck's family which has strong support in the northern half of Thailand.'

It's fundamentally about the old political guard, on both sides of the divide, each riddled with cronyism, nepotism and corruption, being supplanted in favour of more open, democratic and relevant governing options.

• Like 1

Stop these insinuations. The damage to the economy is the fake loans, pillaging of the rice scheme, tablets for children corruption. All very clear and in the public's eye.

She is currently under investigation for dereliction of duty and fraud. FACT!

The protests have to be paid from some kind of money. Suthep says he is broke and the donations are not nearly enough to keep the protests going for even a day. Suthep himself said that the protests cost over 10 million Baht every day.

So, where is the money coming from? Surely the people "investing" in these protests don't want to just get their money back with the huge risks of not getting anything back at all. So they must be making money from somewhere.

The Thai Baht has been falling daily since Suthep started his protests and especially since the "Bangkok Shutdown" and threats against banks began. Anyone who placed bets against the Baht at the stock exchanges made a fortune. Only the PDRC and their backers knew of their moves in advance, so they would have been stupid not to place these bets.

The same goes for the companies wrongly targeted by Suthep, like AIS and others. Their shares lost value but they will recover.

Who made the billions? Someone did. And it's financial fraud.

• Like 2

Stop these insinuations. The damage to the economy is the fake loans, pillaging of the rice scheme, tablets for children corruption. All very clear and in the public's eye.

The protests have to be paid from some kind of money. Suthep says he is broke and the donations are not nearly enough to keep the protests going for even a day. Suthep himself said that the protests cost over 10 million Baht every day.

So, where is the money coming from? Surely the people "investing" in these protests don't want to just get their money back with the huge risks of not getting anything back at all. So they must be making money from somewhere.

The Thai Baht has been falling daily since Suthep started his protests and especially since the "Bangkok Shutdown" and threats against banks began. Anyone who placed bets against the Baht at the stock exchanges made a fortune. Only the PDRC and their backers knew of their moves in advance, so they would have been stupid not to place these bets.

The same goes for the companies wrongly targeted by Suthep, like AIS and others. Their shares lost value but they will recover.

Oh look! More allegations without evidence! Why don't you tell us who made a fortune out of this instead of saying 'someone', Why don't you show us some proof rather then talk a whole lot of crap. Pretending to know more doesn't mean you do. clap2.gif

Mackie...

Mackie I am neither red or dead or yellow...but one thing for sure...in spite of your leanings and the blinders that you wear I do not and won't stoop to characterizing you as you characterize me... and no this government is not responsible for the insurrection and "whole mess" that you claim they are... much bigger players in this game than you care to acknowledge... but that is fine too you are entitled to your interpretation of media garbage as am I but in the end do we really know...? only in hindsight will we know if anything we have said here was even close to reality and the written history,. so stop with the BS colors crap and get a grip on the big picture

I am also neither red nor yellow and pretty much alive and kicking. We need to get few things straight. I guess you're the one wearing blinkers here. Your lame attempt to absolve the caretaker government from any responsibility has abysmally failed like many times before. No one needs to read any newspapers and rubbish they write. All you need to do is to take off your blinkers and face the facts. The whole mess started with the amnesty bill (uncalled for) folowed up by the rice scheme scam. Without ill-thought amnesty bill neither Suthep nor anyone else whould've been able to galvinse Thai public and start protest. That's how all of this started. You can spin, you can continue wearing your tin foil hat, come up with your own fantastic theories etc...etc...it will not change the fact that the responsibility solely lies with the current caretaker government for the current political crisis. Their corruption and selfishness brought the country to the brink of the civil war once again.

The bigger picture? I love when posters use my own words to get back at me. Be more original next time. Some clues for you. ASEAN, globalisation, Asian pivot, China versus USA...There is much more to Thailand than meets the eye.

Anyway, the deal behind the scenes seems to have been reached only when the protesters started targetting Shinawatras' businesses. It's telling. As long as Thailand was losing money they couldn't be bothered, once their own pockets started 'suffering' suddenly they appear to be cooperative. Of course, only in my humble opinion.

not gonna get in a tit for tat with ya... I believe you are delusional as well cheers...history will decide and the amnesty bill was just the lynchpin this movement of Suthep and Abhiset started with their loss in the election same as last time... Yadda yadda yadda best of luck to you and your hero smile.png you seem to have the only pipeline to the "real facts" of this whole mess LMAO ..

Edited by DirtFarmer

I just hope there'll be something left of Lumpini once the protesters finally depart. All the degradation of the other protest areas - the filth and health hazards, will now accumulate in the great Bangkok landmark of Lumpini, whose maintenance has been neglected for the duration of the tent city.

Still, at least we've progressed from a traffic jam in a dump to just a dump with a lake in it.

Yes, I worry about the health of Lumpini park too - but this location is wonderfully convenient for the nearby Presidential Suite.

My suggestion - move the PDRC protesters to the recently-built, virginal Bangkok Futsal Arena - the white elephant that minor Prince Sukumbhand's Bangkok crew did not finish in time for last year's FIFA Futsal World Cup. The Arena's owners are the BMA, so it could be rented for peanuts (or even gratis).

It probably has excellent facilities, toilets, showers, seating for thousands, shade, parking for hundreds of cars, lighting, and is easily defended - the works.

Win-Win for all.

• Like 2

Bangkok shutdown an utter failure

Of course it is!!!

That is why the government is functioning properly with growth up, tourism thriving, everybody better off and all driving around in shiny new cars. Suthep didn't make a dent in the government - he only had about a 100 ineffective protesters at any time!! This fascist dictator thought he could make problems for the government, but me and you know otherwise!!!

Yingluck will rule Thailand for the rest of her life.thumbsup.gif.

By the way, are you a farmer by any chance - I know you are really because your avatar gives it away!!!!clap2.gif.

Oh look! More allegations without evidence! Why don't you tell us who made a fortune out of this instead of saying 'someone', Why don't you show us some proof rather then talk a whole lot of crap. Pretending to know more doesn't mean you do. clap2.gif

Perhaps you didn't understand it. I'll say it again. An investigation is needed to find out who did.

Because targeting companies that have nothing to do with Thaksin and making their stocks fall down is a little suspicious, don't you think?

Not to mention the huge dive the Thai Baht took since this "shutdown" began.

Do you have another explanation as to how Suthep finances 4 months of 10 million Baht per day each? That is 1,200 million Baht (1,2 BILLION) in protest expenses.

Where did that money come from? Who paid for it?

The "investors" didnt take these risks for free. They made big money.

Well you know not everyone is money minded like the Shinawatras. Just because your mentality is like them doesn't make others the same.

and why do they want them out? because they spend their tax money on things they dont like. Only a fool thinks this is about anything else.

ps this must be hitting you hard. The fuhrer has been stood down by his pay masters as he no longer serves any purpose laugh.png Nothing worse than backing the wrong horse