Bangkok: People urged to reserve tap water for use during salt water incursion

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will the water companies be disconnecting supply or at least announcing when the salinity becomes excessive?

Don't want to pollute our stored supply.

just buy Bottle (mineral water) until such time that its ALL CLEAR.

I am sure a phone call (or personal visit) to your local water plant will tell you precise details.

I once visited the Water Plant (near to Chatuchak) during teh floods (a few years ago)... I wanted to see if there was any flooding in the canals and plant (as I shower from this water).. I was given a really cool tour of the plant and a manager answered pretty much ALL my questions... (from the French building it over 100 years ago,, to How the clean the water,, and how its stored and distributed). I left the compound feeling really good. it was not affected by floods and its a good water plant.

- it gave Peace of Mind smile.png

if you are using a WATER FILTER at home, then it will not filter-out salt.

I believe that a steam-distillation water filter will do this job????

so,, its best to buy bottle water (for drinking) until such time.

as for your shower, the extra salt isnt gonna be a terrible thing...

if you are paranoid about it, then have a few large (cheap) bottles of bottles of water in your shower to give yourself a final rinse after showering.

Or just move to Chiang Mai

Edited by a99az

Please don't ask people to buy bottled water. It's one of the world's biggest sources of pollutants and as the quick facts show you here http://thewaterproject.org/bottled_water_wasteful.asp a terrible waste of energy and oil to boot.

Simply invest in a water purification system - from Bht1,500 (the candle type) to Bht7,000 for the full kit. And you can pack it up and take it with you - but your plastic water bottles will be around for hundreds if not thousands of years.

While I agree with your sentiments, the dynamics are very different here in Thailand.

In the shortest form, thousands of Thais will eat tonight only because they can scratch out a living recycle plastic water bottles.

In addition, today's Thai water bottle will become next week's Thai water bottle or furniture, or scooter part or...or... Unlike the west, where the labor cost of recycling is generally higher than the cost of new plastic, the water bottles here won't be around more than a few weeks or months before they've found a new purpose.

And, as many other posters have mentioned, salt water intrusion is not within the capability of most household water filter systems.