Many Farang Smoke In Thailand.

In the past 5 years in Thailand I have noticed that a very large proportion of Farang are smokers.

I come from the UK and over there smokers are firmly in the minority. Where I worked (before smoking ban) there were 2 rest rooms for coffee breaks, there would be like 20 in the non smoking room and about 4 in the smoking room.

Most of my drinking buddies in our regular group were non smokers, while only a couple of us smoked.

Since I have lived in Thailand, almost every farang is a smoker. I can't work out why. I am estimating that around 80% of all farang I know smoke.

Of course I am not claiming all farang smoke and I expect to get many people comment that they are not smokers or there will even be some who may know many farang and most don't smoke. I suppose it could be the social circles we all move in, but my social circle here consists of doctors, teachers, factory workers and millionaire businessmen... (in their former or current lives). So that could scotch the social circle theory.

I am stumped. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but even in Pattaya, Hua Hin etc.., I see a disproportionate farang smokers.

What is also strange is that now I have stopped smoking regular cigarettes (over 30 year heavy smoker). And am now using an electronic cigarette which for the first time in all my attempts to stop smoking has been a resounding success. I feel much better, can smell and taste better, no longer have a morning cough and can breath much easier...

The e-cigarette phenomenon is booming. Last night in my local pub out of 9 farangs, there were no less than 6 farang smoking e-cigs and 2 smoking regular cigs and 1 non smoker.

All e-cig smokers are singing the praises of this form of nicotine replacement therapy, they are avoiding all the harmful effects of smoking, even though we all know we are retaining the nicotine dependency and so some may call us smokers still, at lease we can reduce the level of nicotine and slowly ween ourselves off.

Comments?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are about 10 million adult cigarette smokers in Great Britain and about 15 million exsmokers.

Since 1990 there has been a steady increase in the number of smokers using mainly

hand-rolled tobacco. In 1990, 18% of male smokers and 2% of female smokers said they

smoked mainly hand-rolled cigarettes but by 2011 this had risen to 40% and 26% respectively.

In 2012, the OPN survey found that 38% of men and 24% of women smoked hand-rolled

cigarettes.

OP, your statement "I come from the UK and over there smokers are firmly in the minority" needs some more research.

Edited by Costas2008

The official figures concerning smoking prevalence in the UK are disputable. The figures are gathered by asking people if they smoke. Given the level of propaganda and officially sanctioned discrimination aimed at smokers, many smokers when asked if they smoke will deny it, not wishing to be identified with this newly created underclass. Also there are many 'social' smokers, who will smoke when out with friends, or just in the evenings who don't actually think of themselves as smokers. My eldest daughter is one of these. In UK, she never smokes in her house, and not that much out of it. Likewise her husband. But when they are here on holiday, they both smoke like chimneys. I'm sure if a survey asked if she was a smoker, her reply would be "No".

Where I live, during the summer months I see large numbers of British tourists. Here, smoking is seen as a normal pastime, and because the anti-smoking fanatics have not gained a foothold here the lies and exaggerations that Brits are subjected to on a daily basis don't exist. As a result, tourists can sit down and relax with a beer and a ciggy without feeling guilty about it. Nobody will so much as frown at them.

From my observations, I would estimate that about 60% of the Brit tourists I see are smokers. They are from all walks of life, from blue-collar to wealthy professional. The ant-smoking propaganda over the last few decades in UK has been so remorseless that most Brits actually believe most of it, even though many, perhaps most, of the claims fly in the face of rational thought and common sense. So it isn't surprising that many smokers are reluctant to admit to their enjoyment of tobacco.

• Like 1

It's cheap and there are no rules. Long term expats tend to be a more confident bunch so smoking is more prevelant. It is a great comfort during loneliness so expats smoke. It keeps u busy when there is nothing to do, so expats and tourists smoke.

I came home and quit on 2 weeks. 8 quid a pack and nowhere to smoke. Great saving

• Like 2

People don't look at you as if you are an axe murderer if you light up here. Plus when on holiday, as most are, you are there to have a good time. Along with quite a few over here being young and not so health conscious

I was a social smoker myself at one time, it can be down to the environment, on holiday you kind of just think sod it

• Like 2

Escapees from the nanny state would tend to have all the bad habits in higher proportions wouldn't they?

Would you be surprised if you found that more of us are mongers here than the general back-home population?

Less risk-averse in general too I'd reckon. . .

• Like 2

Many Thai females also smoke in Thailand i have noticed, and long may it continuebiggrin.png . Must be something about the place and I guess prices and no excessive peer pressure to stop.

Yes, that's another interesting thing. According to official figures the smoking prevalence of Thai females is around 3%, but from personal observation I would put it a lot higher than that; perhaps 8 - 10%. Again, these figures rely on the women admitting to being smokers, and cultural pressures dictate that many of them will deny it when asked by a stranger.

I've never been to Pattaya, and the last time I was in Phuket was 13 years ago. I base my observations on what I see when I'm out and about with my wife in Bangkok and Ubon. Bangkok observations, note, were not made in Patong or Nana, but around the shopping centres like MBK and Siam.

in australia there is heavy media against smoking. companies can barely even advertise at all, and have even been forced to have plain packaging or gross pictures on the front.

there are also severe smoking bans in establishments making it difficult to smoke anywhere.

on top of all that, you also have crippling taxes that are being raised every year.

------

compare that with thailand.

no serious media campaign against smoking

no problem displaying smokes or advertising

you can smoke pretty much anywhere.

smokes are cheap

------------------

the ecigs are fantastic. they are significantly cheaper than smoking, you can use them inside, and they are healthier. i've managed to get some of my smoking friends to adapt to ecigs. they never stop thanking me for it.

Edited by bonobo
removed profanity

More likely a reflection of the type of Thais you associate with.

Good girls would never dream of smoking, nor touching alcohol.

By my definition anyway, definitely even one whiff of either's a total deal-breaker for me.

Do you ever stop posting nonsense?
  • Like 2

By my definition anyway, definitely even one whiff of either's a total deal-breaker for me.

isn't the term "good girl" somewhat judgmental?

• Like 1

this stuff is hilarious.

only on thaivisa.

• Like 1

I'm a reformed smoker (the worst sort). I find close contact with no air flow with people smoking leaves me nauseous. Having said that I am a total hypocrite, because when I am angry or upset I smoke....cigars, Cubans purito sized preferably.

The last time I smoked consistently for any amount of time was my last trip to LoS. Since then I've had maybe one or two. I did notice that there was a lot of smoking around me comparative to say North America. I also was warned about the tourist police and tossing your buts in the street (too keep an ashtray of some sort handy at all times).

Personally I equate cigarette smoking as slavery, emotional turmoil; anger or uncertainty manifested.

• Like 2

this stuff is hilarious.

only on thaivisa.

Only on Thai Visa by certain posters. :)

The official figures concerning smoking prevalence in the UK are disputable. The figures are gathered by asking people if they smoke. Given the level of propaganda and officially sanctioned discrimination aimed at smokers, many smokers when asked if they smoke will deny it, not wishing to be identified with this newly created underclass. Also there are many 'social' smokers, who will smoke when out with friends, or just in the evenings who don't actually think of themselves as smokers. My eldest daughter is one of these. In UK, she never smokes in her house, and not that much out of it. Likewise her husband. But when they are here on holiday, they both smoke like chimneys. I'm sure if a survey asked if she was a smoker, her reply would be "No".

Where I live, during the summer months I see large numbers of British tourists. Here, smoking is seen as a normal pastime, and because the anti-smoking fanatics have not gained a foothold here the lies and exaggerations that Brits are subjected to on a daily basis don't exist. As a result, tourists can sit down and relax with a beer and a ciggy without feeling guilty about it. Nobody will so much as frown at them.

From my observations, I would estimate that about 60% of the Brit tourists I see are smokers. They are from all walks of life, from blue-collar to wealthy professional. The ant-smoking propaganda over the last few decades in UK has been so remorseless that most Brits actually believe most of it, even though many, perhaps most, of the claims fly in the face of rational thought and common sense. So it isn't surprising that many smokers are reluctant to admit to their enjoyment of tobacco.

Yeah yeah its all lies eh, I never see them hacking up their guts or dropping dead from cancer and such, bloody misinformation from govts eh, both my Aunt and Uncle didnt die from it in their early 50's either, neither of them got a blood clot in their legs.

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

in australia there is heavy media against smoking. companies can barely even advertise at all, and have even been forced to have plain packaging or gross pictures on the front.

there are also severe smoking bans in establishments making it difficult to smoke anywhere.

on top of all that, you also have crippling taxes that are being raised every year.

------

compare that with thailand.

no serious media campaign against smoking

no problem displaying smokes or advertising

you can smoke pretty much anywhere.

smokes are cheap as fuc_k.

------------------

the ecigs are fantastic. they are significantly cheaper than smoking, you can use them inside, and they are healthier. i've managed to get some of my smoking friends to adapt to ecigs. they never stop thanking me for it.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well, good post.......thumbsup.gif

One quick warning though on ecigs, or rather the refills for them. One of the reasons they are banned in Thailand is the control for the refills concerning the actual amount of nicotine and other chemicals they contain. The cheaper they are, the more cautious you should be in buying them, or sensible enough to source proven suppliers.

And of course as they are relatively new, there is no history on long term usage. Give it a couple of years, and you will have some concern group starting up claiming all sorts of facts and figures. Wait for the passive ecig smoke victims.................wink.png

OP, your statement "I come from the UK and over there smokers are firmly in the minority" needs some more research.

Currently 63 million (ish) people in the UK. 10 million smokers. Which leaves only 53 million non-smokers. I can see why you would question the OP's statement about smokers being in the minority. Ever considered a career in politics :)

Agree with the OP. In my limited circle of farang associates, there is a disproportionate number of smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by sean in udon

Many Thai females also smoke in Thailand i have noticed, and long may it continuebiggrin.png . Must be something about the place and I guess prices and no excessive peer pressure to stop.

Seen a few female smokers in Pattaya. Only seen one in Kut Chap. And from the smell, she wasn't smoking tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

when we all get together in the local bar i would say more of us are smokers than not,only one guy complains and i do my best to blow smoke in his direction,as he is a bore, he generally leaves after this,smokes are also very cheap here a pack of Malboro lights is 90 baht or $3 aus,when i left Aus 2 years ago a pack was about 500 baht or $16.50.Also in Thailand you have freedom to do your own thing,you can smoke in bars and resturants, a thai person would never complain about it,another reason i love it here[mostly],also most expats have a little more of a devil may care attitude,of course we some of us may regret it eventually.

isn't the term "good girl" somewhat judgmental?

I did say by my definition, no way I'd ever take on a girl who smoked or drank. What's wrong with that?

It's such a tiny segment of the overall population anyway doesn't really eliminate many.

Obviously those who meet theirs out in the nightlife will have a different experience, one that I'm very intentionally avoiding.

It seems that you think if someone enjoys nightlife they're down Pat Pong or Nana Plaza.

Good girls smoke and drink. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Do you sisters or mother drink?

• Like 1