Dutch bar owner killed in Udon Thani

Lite Beer

My gal just read some Thai News that they caught his Manager, who confessed. And there is one more accomplice still loose. This is not confirmed in anything I read...so take it for face value or not.

That sounds more likely than just a robbery.

I will never understand Thai logic. The manager wants to kill his boss for what, his business?

Biting the hand that feeds you.

An inconsequential comment to this travesty. His name doesn't appear to be Dutch....Looks more English to me, but never mind...Hope they catch the perps.

A shot-across-the-bow to us inveterate optimists, who think they live in a similarly safe and policed place to what they are accustomed to.

It is Thai wifey who keeps up the 'alert level' for me....Constantly telling me not to be so trusting of Thai people, which route to take home late at night, never stopping for people seeking a ride, even if they are Monks, etc,. etc.

I know this is overgeneralizing and not fair to the Thai people as a whole, who treat me with the utmost respect to which I reciprocate in kind.

If not for warnings from her, I would automatically interact with inquiring Thai's at my front gate, perhaps the same way this person did..........Like the saying goes, "But for the grace of God, there go I".

Perfect advise. Good to hear your wife has your back.

• Like 2

I wonder if he was married to a local girl ?

Why would you wonder that? Stereotyping, are we?

Well, more like profiling in the case of crimes against resident foreigners. Often in crimes against foreigners in Thailand, wives or girlfriends (sometimes in cahoots with family, side boyfriends, or business associates) plot to take the significant other's wealth and rid of him altogether. And then splitting the loot among family and friends.

No harm in suspecting the norm.

Am curious to see who was connected with the bar manager now that he was caught.

Robbery ?? blink.png The injuries inflicted on this man go far beyond the needs of a robber. It seems more a sustained ,frenzied attack.

Must have a mind like a great white shark, only a copy of a Thai soap opera that's all, it is normal to a few. Greed and even enjoying the kill. SICK.

1 of them fled the scene, that's normal, pity the bleeding nutter didn't have the brain to do that before the killing.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

My gal just read some Thai News that they caught his Manager, who confessed. And there is one more accomplice still loose. This is not confirmed in anything I read...so take it for face value or not.

That sounds more likely than just a robbery.

I will never understand Thai logic. The manager wants to kill his boss for what, his business?

Biting the hand that feeds you.

Saw an attempted murder in Subic Town, Philippines. A newbee retiree opened a bar called the Silver Dollar. All sorts of coins under the glass covering to the bar. He would count his money on the bar at closing. His wife hired a Ladyboy Manager from hell, who controlled every aspect of the bar. Evidently, she had "mismanaged" some money and was fired. Next night, a trike (tuk-tuk) drove by and fired at him several times (but missed). The bar was closed immediately, and he has since fled the area/or country. Probably a possible scenario anywhere...but I leave it up to the people who actually run bars in Thailand to input their stories with hostile/greedy managers.

The guy was Dutch, had owned model 59 in udon... The bloke arrested was indeed the manager and his accomplice fleed the scene. Just seen some horrific pictures of the poor man on a facebook page, sickening! Slit the poor mans throat and stabbed him severel times. Rest in peace

of course we don't know the whole story and the background that led to this tragedy but sadly it is very often is the case - that they plan a robbery and think because the victim could identify them they murder their victim. Very stupid and very sad - taking a life for maybe a few thousand baht - he might have given them if asked.

Over the years I was personally involved with several murder cases here in Thailand - and sadly most of them where about - not even large amounts - of money, gold chains e.g. very often perpetrated by people known to the victims or having carelessly taken strangers back to their residence were they where robbed and murdered.

Very likely another senseless murder for pure greed!

RIP

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

Most retirees need not worry as they most likely will not be operating a beer bar, nor making income from bar fines.

I suggest you do some research on the Models 59 Bar and find out exactly the type of bar it was and its recent history. You can do your own search and read the delightful stories.

And yes indeed it is reported that the owner's "right hand man" has been arrested and accused of the murder.

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

Most retirees need not worry as they most likely will not be operating a beer bar, nor making income from bar fines.

I suggest you do some research on the Models 59 Bar and find out exactly the type of bar it was and its recent history. You can do your own search and read the delightful stories.

And yes indeed it is reported that the owner's "right hand man" has been arrested and accused of the murder.

Doesn't look to be a place of much virtue.

Looks like a high pain murder. This has the feel of a contract killing, so I have a feeling that when this sorted out, there will be a woman involved somewhere. The " right hand man" manager was simply the guy who took the job.... Note to self : no Thai right hand man for me......

Also for a robbery this makes no sense. What could the night's income be from

what I assume to be a bar beer ? A few thousand baht ? So for a few thousand

baht the manager loses his job ? Or.......a new owner for the bar, and a higher

income split for the manager ? As always, these types of crimes by low IQ criminals are easily solved by following the money trail.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

The guy was Dutch, had owned model 59 in udon... The bloke arrested was indeed the manager and his accomplice fleed the scene. Just seen some horrific pictures of the poor man on a facebook page, sickening! Slit the poor mans throat and stabbed him severel times. Rest in peace

of course we don't know the whole story and the background that led to this tragedy but sadly it is very often is the case - that they plan a robbery and think because the victim could identify them they murder their victim. Very stupid and very sad - taking a life for maybe a few thousand baht - he might have given them if asked.

Over the years I was personally involved with several murder cases here in Thailand - and sadly most of them where about - not even large amounts - of money, gold chains e.g. very often perpetrated by people known to the victims or having carelessly taken strangers back to their residence were they where robbed and murdered.

Very likely another senseless murder for pure greed!

RIP

I totally agree...greed knows no bounds in LOS....best to keep your head down and mouth shut.

Dutch bar owner murdered in Udon Thani

Started by Lite Beer, Today, 06:20
just tweeked the grammar a little for the guys at the Nation

How could anybody believe that this was a robbery?

//link to forum removed//

In Thai:

http://www.mcot.net/site/content?id=53118b66be0470f7a38b4669#.UxKzx-OSzTo

Edited by Tywais
Link to forum removed - Rule #10
  • Like 1

Looks like a high pain murder. This has the feel of a contract killing, so I have a feeling that when this sorted out, there will be a woman involved somewhere. The " right hand man" manager was simply the guy who took the job.... Note to self : no Thai right hand man for me......

Also for a robbery this makes no sense. What could the night's income be from

what I assume to be a bar beer ? A few thousand baht ? So for a few thousand

baht the manager loses his job ? Or.......a new owner for the bar, and a higher

income split for the manager ? As always, these types of crimes by low IQ criminals are easily solved by following the money trail.

this place is a night club with many custemers and free lance girls at the week end so income

could be very high but still NOT worth killing for

RIP

A Dutchman called, Fred Reily?

It appears that the victim was running businesses and trying to discretely store the cash proceeds at his home. If he done this on a regular basis then perhaps certain people that knew him could have planned the murder and robbery. Even a competitor perhaps? All depends in what`s involved here and who these types of business owners are involved with.

Senseless killing and a brutal murder in deed. I got a feeling it's an insiders job. Knew exactly what'he had at home, where he had it and since the deceased knew them thus ensured he is murdered. I may be wrong but who knows, I may be right too.

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years have not seen as much as a fist fight since leaving Pattaya over a decade ago, seen more problems in the states on my visits, that to me indicates where the real safety is in rural Thailand away from the Farang ghetto cities that are very violent areas caused by locals, many by drunk Farangs.

May you rest in Peace!

Cheers

It is much safer in Thailand than the USA for sure, but sad to say it seems to be getting more violent in Thailand these days.

Dear Fred, may you rest in peace! Condoleances to his family and love ones.

Black mirage! Have some respect! Whatever did happen, non deserves to get killed brutally.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Extraordinarily sad. However, sorry to speculate, that is quite a violent death for a robbery! I'm sure money was taken but I feel that calling this a robbery is understating it a bit. To me it seems like the cash was a "bonus".

Do you know something concrete or is this just speculation for the sake of it ? Do tell if you know. Why is this kind of post 'popular' ? I cannot imagine anything more 'normal' than a straightforward robbery of a person known to carry large amounts of cash.

Robbery ?? blink.png The injuries inflicted on this man go far beyond the needs of a robber. It seems more a sustained ,frenzied attack.

The number and type of injuries tell a story. Certainly this person wanted to make sure this person was dead and wanted it to be graphic. Either a clear message to other "business interests" (i.e. local "protection") or this was personal. Stabbing somebody 5 times and then cutting their throat isn't something somebody does easily. Remembering also that the "standard" robbery murder round here involves a gun this feels VERY personal as it would involve touching the person as you are killing them.

• Like 1

Just extrapolating on my last point. If it WAS the "manager" (i.e. this isn't just a frame up to cover up a "local protection" demonstration killing) then maybe we are talking about a love interest. Maybe the manager had something going with one of the girls and was angry to see the "farang" taking a cut from his precious woman (or the owner had been "sampling" for free)? That would certainly provide the rage in an emotionally immature man to drive them to this level of attack.

Remember, I am just extrapolating and KNOW nothing more than anybody else on here.

Amazing how such a seemingly benign race of people can metamorph to murderers when there's money involved. Stories like this come to mind when I meet farang tourists harping on about what friendly people the Thais are. And so they are... The nicest people money can buy.

• Like 1

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years have not seen as much as a fist fight since leaving Pattaya over a decade ago, seen more problems in the states on my visits, that to me indicates where the real safety is in rural Thailand away from the Farang ghetto cities that are very violent areas caused by locals, many by drunk Farangs.

May you rest in Peace!

Cheers

Thailand doesn't advertise itself as safer than Detroit or LA. Thailand advertises itself as a quiet paradise...and that's major BS.

• Like 1