Fixing a Flat Tire with a Needle and Thread

wayned

I had a slow leak in one of my tires and took the car to the local tire man. While I was waiting I watched him fix a flat tire on a large truck with a needle and thread. The tire had a tube in it and when he removed it there was a tear in the tube aboiut 3cm long. I thought that it was time for a new tube, but no he took out a needle and some thick thread and sewed the tear closed. He then applield a large patch over it and vulcanized it in place with his machine. He put the tube back inti the tire, the tire on the truck, charged the guy 150 baht and the truck drove away. Never had seen this done before but I guess that it's a regular occurance here! Amazing!

• Like 1

Now you can see why there are so many accidents with this sort of practice.......sad.png

As I recall, HGV's have 100+psi to cope with..........w00t.gif

He then applield a large patch over it and vulcanized it in place with his machine.

Sounds OK to me - belt and braces job. smile.png

I'm with the bush mechanics crowd. They do what works for the environment they are in. I've have many motorcycle tubes fixed by vulcanizing a patch on. They clamp it in a fixture then light a small fire underneath, with wood and news paper! Never had a subsequent one fail.