ELCB for water heater

orpheus454

Our house has proper earthing, but no Safe-T-Cut or ELCB.

We have an electric water heater with internal ELCB, with a normal circuit breaker shown in the first attached pic.

Would replacing that circuit breaker with the ELCB breaker shown in the other pic provide additional protection?

Thanks

post-65274-0-84800400-1393735004_thumb.j

post-65274-0-70792900-1393735013_thumb.j

Yes, and the Haco devices are relatively cheap :)

The device you show is an RCBO (it has overload protection) and is the correct one for your heater. Ensure the current rating is the same as the existing breaker.

If the shower heater with "ELCB" is the only device on the circuit, then adding an RCBO would be redundant (which some would argue safer).

But, if that breaker is inside the shower room (next to the ceiling?) makes no sense to me.

But, if that breaker is inside the shower room (next to the ceiling?) makes no sense to me.

Good point Steve, adding an extra RCBO makes sense only if it is at the other end of the cable from the shower heater.

Good point Steve, adding an extra RCBO makes sense only if it is at the other end of the cable from the shower heater.

Thanks for the prompt and informative replies.

It was the redundancy that I had in mind. That is, if the internal unit became faulty with time, then the extra unit would cut the supply.

Also, on your page on bathroom power points, you advise against relying solely on the internal units as they don't cut the incoming supply. Won't this one do that effectively?

Thanks again.

Is that solely so that other devices on the circuit are also protected?

Yes - and the cable. Protection for RCD and overcurrent are only downstream from the breaker. And, if the RCBO is in the shower room, you might get nuisance trips if/when condensation builds up on the breaker. Besides which having a breaker next to the ceiling makes things awkward to reset.

Yes - and the cable. Protection for RCD and overcurrent are only downstream from the breaker. And, if the RCBO is in the shower room, you might get nuisance trips if/when condensation builds up on the breaker. Besides which having a breaker next to the ceiling makes things awkward to reset.

Awkward and dangerous when someone in wet feet reaches up to reset it. Putting a small box in a different room with the RCBO mounted inside would be safer. I always hate to see circuit breakers next to the water heater as I am tall and see them right at eye level.