Why are Lexus so expensive ? Benz and BMW are so cheap compared to Lexus ! Would you spend 10 MB ?

If you got the money knock yourself out but in my opinion it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna that is important therefore the ridiculous import tax like 40% more. Benz and BMW great but limited to service as far as I can see. If you drive it upcountry and it breaks down What and where?

Save the money but if you got it knock yourself out! enjoy!

"...it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna..." Do you mean 'Fortuner'?

You've obviously never been in a Lexus!

"...and it breaks down What and where?"

That's one of the reasons they tend to appear expensive, they tend not to break down.

• Like 1

But if the LS had under 100k and been properly maintained it would actually make sense financially, last a lot longer than the little sh1tbox ever will - they'll go 500k and 20 years easy - and be a LOT more fun to drive.

They are thirsty though, especially when you get up to speed.

I got clocked at 170mph (yes miles not km) middle of the night on the way to Montreal, copper with the radar was stationery, had to radio ahead to get me stopped. Couldn't just pay the fine ($600 I think) had to make a court appearance, boosted my insurance 30% for the next three years.

Think it was around 60K USD new, sold it for over 20K ten years later around 150k miles on it when I moved to Thailand, funny enough to a young Laos guy, new-immigrant software engineer, big face for him 8-)

"I got clocked at 170mph..."

What Lexus was that in, an IS-F or an LFA? Or was it a modified LS? It certainly couldn't have been a standard LS of the era you're referring to.

Subaru wrx would knock spots off all the above mentioned cars and are a lot cheaper !!

The wrx is a rocket propelled roller skate that is actually banned in some US states because the police interceptors cannot touch them on the ground. No kidding.

thumbsup.gif

Who would be stupid enough to waste money on a pretty car to sit in a traffic jam..??

Much better to invest that money in a couple of condos to rent out...

Then you have the guy that owns 3 condo Building [60 condos] and a new Lexus.

• Like 1

Subaru wrx would knock spots off all the above mentioned cars and are a lot cheaper !!

The wrx is a rocket propelled roller skate that is actually banned in some US states because the police interceptors cannot touch them on the ground. No kidding.

thumbsup.gif

Source please.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Comparing SUBARU &lt;deleted&gt; to any of those three is completely ridiculous, how many get past fifteen years and 500K and still tick over like a swiss watch requiring very few unscheduled repairs?

Yes Subarus are not comparable to Lexus etc but plenty of cheap cars like Subaru last more than 15 years and quiet a few do over 500k. Premium brands are nicer to drive and sit in but that does not mean they last longer. Go and buy a Hilux or Triton and see how long it will last if not abused.

And at US prices it's a proven fact by the well-respected Consumer's Union that Lexus running cost long-term is absolutely best in its class, and as I said not much more than owning 2-3 regular Toyotas over that time period. Build quality is that good.

And to the fan of European vs Asian, sorry that ended back in the 90s almost across the board with Toyota and Honda taking over. And the Lexus is far far above the norm for all of them.

Who cares, we are not in the US.

For premium cars, the European vs Asian battle is far from over.

And finally the guy talking about depreciation - we are talking used here, so the first owner's paid for that.

The OP is talking 10M baht cars. Plenty of scope for depreciation.

Another 2 cents, I have nothing against either brands as I said if you have the money go for it! In the end, we are talking mostly status? And people who are willing to spend double the amount for the vehicle I guess just have it and to be honest if I had it I would certainly pay the extra money to have one. And that being said those who have brought up the cost of fuel and how long one can drive one here in Thailand paying more for one compare to at home one would assume they have the money! So gas is of not important and neither would a person have money like this would ever have second thoughts of owning one for 10 years etc... That is just ridiculous and just not in the equation in my book.

When it comes to status, oh I drive a Subaru or I drive a Lexus,Benz, BMW, what sounds better?

In the end, in my opinion regardless of the service history or not or how good the Lexus might be.. What I do know as a common man when I first saw the price tags of a Lexus at Central Festival a year or so ago and what the price tag of that same model different model number in the States the vehicle is like 2-3 times.more in Thailand. And if I had the money I certainly worry about driving one for 500 K or owning it for more than 2 years before I traded up for a newer model. I could buy 2 Fortunas and 1 fully loaded Hilux and still have more than enough to bar fine 10 girls at a major go go in Pattaya for some major fun. That is just how a common guy like me think sorry if people don't agree.

If you got the money knock yourself out but in my opinion it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna that is important therefore the ridiculous import tax like 40% more. Benz and BMW great but limited to service as far as I can see. If you drive it upcountry and it breaks down What and where?

Save the money but if you got it knock yourself out! enjoy!

"...it is just a glorify Toyota Fortuna..." Do you mean 'Fortuner'?

You've obviously never been in a Lexus!

"...and it breaks down What and where?"

That's one of the reasons they tend to appear expensive, they tend not to break down.

I have in the States my cousin who is a surgeon owns a Lexus 370 Hybrid? it is nice and I can tell you he didn't pay 10 million baht for it. He pick me up for lunch and after 10 minutes in the car I didn't really know if I was in his previous SUV, Toyota Highlander? And if I was in Pattaya I don't think I would noticed after 10 minutes sitting at a red light inside whether I was in a Lexus or Fortuna either.

They do not appear expensive and I commend you because you maybe have it but like I said and others 10 million baht for a Lexus? Break it down in USD and from the Baht = 312,000 USD for a Lexus?

You can buy one in the US, ship it to Thailand slip the some baht under the table at customs and have plenty of baht left to buy two or three Fortuna and have pretty much the service history? You know what I mean the spelling might be wrong as you noted but you really think attacking on a personal note is going to sell your point to me and others that spending over and beyond is going to make you right! Like I said if you have it and actually own one I said more power to you and I'm sure you enjoy it. But in Pattaya... If I sat at a red light and you were in your Lexus and I in my Fortuna or Fortuner 9/10 Thais wouldn't even know the difference? The difference would be I have 9 million baht more in my pocket to go down to Walking Street tonight and party back at my place with a car load of ladies to boot!

Or buy a penthouse condo in Jomtien with my own personal pool around 7 million baht, a new fully loaded Toyota Fortuna 1.5 million baht and still have 1.5 million baht to spend throwing ping pongs, drinks, and a personal party back at my penthouse.

If you had a survey right now what would others pick what do you think the result would be? Personally you already know my choice.

Edited by thailand49

thumbsup.gif

Source please.

s-HP-SAUCE-large.jpg

They better get with the program then and git ur done.

car-photo-2010-subaru-sti-police-car-coo

car-photo-2007-subaru-wrx-sedan-european

Oh and back on topic

car-photo-2010-lexus-isf-police-car-euro

Edited by VocalNeal

Yes there is status, but my point is strictly on build quality.

Which in the case of Lexus is orders of magnitude above and beyond ordinary Toyotas, there is nothing in common except financial ownership and distribution infrastructure, the manufacturing is another realm entirely and IMO has been better than Mercedes and BMW for decades.

And this is backed up by the TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP per mile statistics kept meticulously by Consumer's Union, which as I'll say again means that purchasing ordinary Toyotas or Hondas (the absolute record-holders for lowest overall cost) at a fraction of the acquisition cost will save you very little money over a 10-15-20 year ownership period.

Obviously if you're an idiot and buy a NEW one for status, especially in Thailand and then turn around and sell it after only five years, you won't get the FINANCIAL benefit of awesome reliability.

Conversely if you can pick up a USED one that hasn't been damaged in an accident and has been properly maintained, at the same or even a lower price than a Benz or BMW, you will be getting a BETTER financial deal on your overall running costs over time, since that means the original owner Mr Silly-money, has paid for all the extra tax-duty depreciation for you.

And you'll be VERY comfortable and have a LOT of fun driving.

Plus status for free if you happen to want that.

And no my LS400 was stock, probably the second batch imported in the first year, so maybe later model years had some sort of governor installed to cap the top speed? I don't know, but I doubt the smokey's radar was that far out of whack, I didn't usually take it up that high, was just in a hurry that night to meet my Montreal sweetheart 8-)

I think if one was in the States everything being said would make sense but we are on ThaiVisa and talking about a 10 million baht purchase for a car that is much less in the States. You are missing on all cylinders no one is disputing how good this car is and what does Consumer Union has anything to do with this conversation with this car in Thailand, if any, look at the price quoted on Consumer Union and if they knew it was being sold in Thailand for 10 million baht = $330,000 they would rate it as a no buy unless you have money to blow. The question I have for you! would you pay that amount for this great car as you noted? If not, end of conversation about how reliable!

Edited by thailand49

I don't know why people say Lexis is a Toyota, there are some Toyota parts and Lexus is owned by Toyota, a bit Like Bentley is owned by BMW or Jaguar is owned by Ford, Lambo is owned by Audi, Proton owned Lotus, Ferrari and Fiat etc etc, they are still those different make of car!!! And Yes Lexus is a good car I've had 4 of them and they are without doubt the most reliable car to own and drive superbly!!!

I don't know why people say Lexis is a Toyota, there are some Toyota parts and Lexus is owned by Toyota, a bit Like Bentley is owned by BMW or Jaguar is owned by Ford, Lambo is owned by Audi, Proton owned Lotus, Ferrari and Fiat etc etc, they are still those different make of car!!! And Yes Lexus is a good car I've had 4 of them and they are without doubt the most reliable car to own and drive superbly!!!

Because Lexus is a Toyota , it's luxury brand,

Lexus was never another company bought by Toyota , but was created by Toyota to compete against BMW and alike. Just like infinity is Nissan luxury brand.

Have you owned all the cars on the market to say Lexus is without a doubt the most reliable one???? I seriously doubt it.

Lexus is just another car, well made quality car.

It can break just like any other car and can be a pain in the butt just like any other car.

Is it nice to drive ?? Well it's better be for the price it's selling.

Is it the best car?? Without a doubt , very far from it.

Is it worth the money it's been sold in Thailand ?? For some people it is, for vast majority it is not.

If it was, you would see more Lexus on the roads

• Like 2

I can't help but think anyone buying a Lexus for 10 mil is a mug regardless of how much they have.

Curious as to where the "tax" is spent ? It's certainly not spent on the roads to drive these cars on.

Not on topic but your a bit wrong there...

Bentley is owned by VW, as is Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Skoda, Seat, Ducati.. Porsche is a VW partner

Jaguar and Landrover are owned by Tata Motors India..

BMW own Rolls Royce.

Bit confusing is the Renault-Nissan-Daimler alliance which Mitsubishi is now part of this year

I can't help but think anyone buying a Lexus for 10 mil is a mug regardless of how much they have.

Curious as to where the "tax" is spent ? It's certainly not spent on the roads to drive these cars on.

There is a different thread for this. It is where all the rice pledge money went and why they are there are protests to see who it will go to in the future. I believe you will find that many politicians are also in the construction business.

Don't like the roads? Try Indonesia.whistling.gif

As for the price thing it's a bit like the North American Indian with two souvenir stands. "Some people like to pay $5 and some people like to spend $10"

Edited by VocalNeal

Who would be stupid enough to waste money on a pretty car to sit in a traffic jam..??

Much better to invest that money in a couple of condos to rent out...

People who can and who already own enough condos...

I think it's more stupid to pretend not liking nice things just because one cannot buy them...

• Like 1

No i wouldnt pay 10mb, but id consider buying one after its value depreciated.

I think buying a sport car which is comparatively less practical than a sedan makes more sense given the lack of affordable locally assembled alternatives. I bought my 350z when the price came down following the 370z release and after the car came out of warantee saving quite alot. Will eventually replace it with a GTR when those prices come down. If I was to buy a new sedan, id buy that new Crown for just over 3m and enjoy rwd refinement or a locally assembled german car to miss out on some tax.

I dont see the harm in treating yourself if you have the money to throw down on a overpriced car especially if you chose to miss out on other lifestyle choices like whoring out every other night in the bar scene im sure that adds up over the years, or buying a boat you use 2 times a year. For those who enjoy driving, its easy to argue that life is too short to drive something you dont actually want. I dont care about face points but to those who do, obviously driving a 10mb car ensures your purchase is going to be exclusive and viewed by people here in a similar way to driving an exotic in europe or down under

Edited by Retro Reactive

Ignis, point taken but you get my drift? Car manufactures are changing ownership all the time.

Whoisyourdaddy, no I haven't owned every car on the market, but I've owned a lot including BMW's and Jaguars, perhaps I should re phrase what I said, it is the most reliable car I have owned! Would I pay Thai prices for one, no definitely not but UK prices are superb for the quality of car you get. Interetingly you do see a lot in America and they do very often toip the JD power research poll which I think says a lot about the general Lexus mark.

Ignis, point taken but you get my drift? Car manufactures are changing ownership all the time.

Whoisyourdaddy, no I haven't owned every car on the market, but I've owned a lot including BMW's and Jaguars, perhaps I should re phrase what I said, it is the most reliable car I have owned! Would I pay Thai prices for one, no definitely not but UK prices are superb for the quality of car you get. Interetingly you do see a lot in America and they do very often toip the JD power research poll which I think says a lot about the general Lexus mark.

They are popular in the west , because it's fairly cheap in comparison to other luxury makers and models.

In Oz, the 250 model start at $40 000, while Camry is mid to high $30k( from memory)

So the choice of just a car or "brand" for slightly more is a wise choice

In Thailand, in my opinion, the whole car market is screwed up to favor local makers of local models.

In Thailand, in my opinion, the whole car market is screwed up to favor local makers of local models.

It's not just your opinion, it's fact ;) The taxation structure is very much purposely designed to foster and protect local manufacturing.