Immigration police in Nong Khai arrest French-Portuguese for drug trafficking

webfact

DRUG SMUGGLING
French-Portuguese arrested for drug trafficking

30228234-01_big.jpg
Immigration police officers bring in 33-year-old French suspect Avelino De Jusus (3L) to a press conference on Monday. He was arrested by the Immigration police in Nong Khai province on March 2. The court in Paris had issued an arrest warrant for Aveliono

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested a French-Portuguese man allegedly involved in an attempt to smuggle 305 kilograms of cocaine into France, police said Monday.

Avelino de Jusus, 30, was arrested in Nong Khai province Sunday at the Thai-Lao border, Immigration Police Comissioner Lt Gen Panu Gertlabpon told a press conference.

"We have revoked his passports and will extradite him to France soon, since de Jusus has committed no crimes in Thailand," Panu said. De Jusus, who holds French and Portuguese nationalities, faces an arrest warrant in France for his alleged involvement in an attempt to smuggle 305 kilograms of cocaine into the country in 2012.

Twelve other people have been arrested in connection with the incident. He left France late last year, heading to China before travelling to Thailand on November 6, entering on his Portuguese passport.

The French embassy alerted Thai Immigration police to de Jusus’s presence in the kingdom on February 3, leading to his name being placed on a black list and his arrest Sunday when he attempted to cross the border into Laos, Panu said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-03

• Like 1

How stupid to cross a border at an official crossing point. He didnt do his homework. I have been told about and seen places where you can run across the border at night. This is where a lot of smuggling is done. Still, I am very glad that he has been caught. I hate drugs.

• Like 1

They have a blacklist at the Nong Khai border crossing?

I doubt it.

Seems the French contacted Thai via Interpol and this guy got incredibly un-lucky. Of course 300 KG is pretty large amount. But imagine how many foreigners living in Thailand that are running from the law? I bet it is a lot. Of course, different crimes get police more excited to catch people than others. Pedophilia comes to mind. Murder. Manslaughter. Rape.

Maybe they catch them more often than gets announced in the news?

Or maybe they got tipped off this guy was going to Laos.

I just find it hard to believe the Thai immigration system is that efficient.

How stupid to cross a border at an official crossing point. He didnt do his homework. I have been told about and seen places where you can run across the border at night. This is where a lot of smuggling is done. Still, I am very glad that he has been caught. I hate drugs.

He probably needed to do a visa run.

It is just about 30 day visa on arrival expiration time and he figured...

Shoulda run that new crossing down south to Myanmar.

Or sat on overstay until he could figure out what to do long term.

Sounds like nobody makes big money from trying to smuggle 300 kg of blow

Hmm wonder how the hell he travelled through those countries with that much. He doesnt really look like and elephant or a pack donkey. Anyway if he actually did it... what a fuc_king morron, he would have faced death in both China and Lao and i dont understand the santa claus like spirit of the border police, had he been Nigerian or Iranian or something he wouldnt have gotten of that easy

Edited by Redr0m

So do I, pass me another Beer whilst I light up my cigarette, and I wan't no sugar in my Coffee, thank's.

• Like 2

Hmm wonder how the hell he travelled through those countries with that much. He doesnt really look like and elephant or a pack donkey. Anyway if he actually did it... what a fuc_king morron, he would have faced death in both China and Lao and i dont understand the santa claus like spirit of the border police, had he been Nigerian or Iranian or something he wouldnt have gotten of that easy

Read the article again.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They have a blacklist at the Nong Khai border crossing?

I doubt it.

Seems the French contacted Thai via Interpol and this guy got incredibly un-lucky. Of course 300 KG is pretty large amount. But imagine how many foreigners living in Thailand that are running from the law? I bet it is a lot. Of course, different crimes get police more excited to catch people than others. Pedophilia comes to mind. Murder. Manslaughter. Rape.

Maybe they catch them more often than gets announced in the news?

Or maybe they got tipped off this guy was going to Laos.

I just find it hard to believe the Thai immigration system is that efficient.

If he is on the immigration computer in Thailand it doesn't really matter which border he uses as they are all connected for a long time already.

• Like 1

Really?

I heard they are not connected. I cannot substantiate it. But it was heard from a pilot who flies regularly in and out of LOS.

If you are very certain pls share how you know this.

I wonder... has anyone on TV ever seen Immigration pull someone aside as they tried to enter or exit the country? And slap the cuffs on them, as it were.

"We have revoked his passports and will extradite him to France soon, since de Jusus has committed no crimes in Thailand," Panu said.

How could Thailand revoke foreign passports?

Perhaps they meant his Thai visa.

A month or so in jail here and suddenly a 8-10 stretch in Froggieland won't seem so bad.

I believe the country you are refering too, is named France. "Froggieland" does not appear on any map as far as I know. It does however, appear in a book called "Tasteless and Juvenile Place Names".

"We have revoked his passports and will extradite him to France soon, since de Jusus has committed no crimes in Thailand," Panu said.

how could an ostensibly sentient being quibble over one word in a article that is obviously a translation from the original thai news report into english

Obviously they mean his visa(s).

I wonder... has anyone on TV ever seen Immigration pull someone aside as they tried to enter or exit the country? And slap the cuffs on them, as it were.

I have personal experience of this! (well not the handcuffs). During a court case about 4 years ago, I was forbidden to leave the country until the case was resolved. Even after it was fully resolved, I was still unable to exit Thailand because my name had not been removed from the 'exit' blacklist.

I was stopped at Ranong iimmigration, which is hardly a major transit point.

It took me a fast drive to/from the IDC in Bangkok to finally get my name deleted.

So yes, even minor immigration crossings have been connected to the computer system for years.

Simon

Edited by simon43

A month or so in jail here and suddenly a 8-10 stretch in Froggieland won't seem so bad.

I believe the country you are refering too, is named France. "Froggieland" does not appear on any map as far as I know. It does however, appear in a book called "Tasteless and Juvenile Place Names".

Just a heads up mate. The dear ol' Frogs have been calling us Ros Beef for about the last two hundred years, and that's on a good day. Welsh are Taffs, and Irish Paddys. In case you hadn't noticed , you live in one of the most racist countries left in the world. How else can you explain government condoned multi pricing at national attractions and the fact that the concept of a queue, line to our colonial readers, doesn't exist here? All very well being PC ol' chap, but personally I think it all began going tits up when they took golliwogs off jam jars

• Like 1

one has to chuckle at a person who struggles to comprehend the most simple of news articles yet has the stones to call another a morron(sic) and play the racist card.

Edited by HooHaa

how could an ostensibly sentient being quibble over one word in a article that is obviously a translation from the original thai news report into english

how could an ostensibly sentient being get a job as a translator? Greasing palms?

Just a heads up mate. The dear ol' Frogs have been calling us Ros Beef for about the last two hundred years, and that's on a good day. Welsh are Taffs, and Irish Paddys. In case you hadn't noticed , you live in one of the most racist countries left in the world. How else can you explain government condoned multi pricing at national attractions and the fact that the concept of a queue, line to our colonial readers, doesn't exist here? All very well being PC ol' chap, but personally I think it all began going tits up when they took golliwogs off jam jars

I gots to know. What is a "goliwog"? otis