One squaremeter costs 5000 Baht?

catweazle08

So i thought it would be a good idea to buy a table in Bangkok for my living room. There is a furniture-section at Chatuchak, so i gave it a try. I walked around and found several good options, not really that cheap but some nice designs.

One table, about 5000 baht, soon became my favourite. The woman in the shop went to get the guy from the post office. He told me, that i had to pay about three times as much for sending the table to europe then for the table itself. One squaremeter costs 5000 Baht and the table woud be three squaremeters (=about 15.000 Baht).

As an alternative he told me about bringing the table to the airport by myself and get it on my plane back home for an extra fee. But they don´t treat packages really nice on the airport, so there is a good chance, that my table will break during the whole process. Well, i didn´t buy the table.

are these informations legit? 15.000 Baht for sending a livingroom table? huh.png

Sounds high, but for sure it won't be cheap.

Easy enough to just ask at the PO yourself.

Note that many tropical woods will start to drastically fall apart, split right down the middle when they get to a dry climate.

Be sure about paperwork too or they will BURN IT ! Some countries have strict controls on imported wood products, they have to be treated with specific methods and have supporting paperwork or they will either fumigate it and charge you or BURN IT !

Edited by MichaelJackson

Why go through the PO? In the Chatuchak market itself, there are at least 10 freight forwarders advertising their services in english, you just have to ask or walk around till you find them. They will consolidate a lot of such packages from various customers and sea freight it in a container at a much lower cost but it will take longer yo reach. Wooden furniture and wooden packaging materials will need to be fumigated and certified before it can enter many countries.

The figure sounds realistic if sent via the PO.

But I'm sure you could send it through a freight forwarding agent for far less. Contact a few and get some quotes.

higher chance of getting a damaged ,chiped ,scratched ,dented etc and the extra hassle

a big domestic furniture store would at least have a perfect one in stock if they import them

in bulk containers but if your willing to take the risks air will certaintly not be the cheapest way

for such a massive item

Are you sure this guy was actually from the post office?

Usually sending by air freight the cost is based on weight not dimensions.

What country in Europe, there are differing prices for differing countries.

Lets say 300 baht per kilo, 15,000/300 = 50kilos, I doubt if the table weighed 50 kilos.

Even if we assume 500 baht per kilo, 15,000/500 = 30 kilos, doubt if the table weighed that much.

If the guy was trying to say pay by dimensions, why not dismantle the table and reassemble at the other end.

Sorry, price sounds too high.

Edited by rgs2001uk