LED down lighting

hhmike

condo renovations; using LED lighting throughout. 3w, 2w, and 1w for accent lighting. gu4-mr11. got 3w and 2w covered, but am having difficulty finding 1w. There are cheap China 1w, but they are notorious for low standards. I want Philips, Osram, or Lamptan.

Any suggestions?

i have the same.

i have used led lighting throught my place.

I live in chiang mai, bought all my lighting from lamptitude shop.

expensive but good.

If you cant find what your looking for in thailand, just buy them on ebay, shipping will be cheap as bulbs dont weigh much.

• Like 1

Thank you, all. My reason for concern; I know the electricians at a 5-star hotel which went cheap-chinese on hundreds of LED lights, subsequently wreaking havoc with wi-fi, television,etc. The management tossed the cheap lights, replaced with Philips and solved the issue, albeit at 3 times the cost. This is my first venture into LED-land, and I want to be careful.

----as for the condo, there will be three basic "levels" of lighting to each room; a 3w-"cleaning (or bright) level" rarely used. then the stepped ceiling will have buried LED strip lighting. And finally, 1w "accent" light above paintings, wood carving, etc., used most all the time.

These are all warm white down light mr11 type.

Just wanted to mention here for those who are interested. LED lighting causes damage to the retina. You will find many studies on the internet. I won't use them and much prefer the soft and healthy lighting of the old conventional bulbs. Just thought I would mention it.

Also the sun is very dangerous too. Please don't go outside ever again. It will melt your retinas then you'll die. Thats assuming you haven't been crushed by the falling sky - which is a lethal blue colour.

• Like 1

Actually there is something in what Diddl says although a link to one of these 'many studies' would add credence.

Staring at a naked LED device, which is effectively very bright a point-source certainly won't be pleasant, but it's unlikely to do permanent damage.

Early LEDs produced a harsh light for the same reason, adding a diffuser reduced the already minimal light output.

Modern, efficient, diffused LED lamps, which have much better spectral response (and thus better colour rendition) are as good as CFLs.

Wow, thank you for all the input. I am not worried about my retna, or even growing a third breast, but absolutely will not abide any interference with my wifi!! wink.png

Edited by hhmike

• 4 weeks later...

@OP: You probably should not be shopping for LED's by watt ratings, but rather by lumens... There are 3 watt LED's that will make only 100lm, and the best 3 watt LED's that will make 300lm...

300lm isn't particularly bright BTW.. that's about equivalent to a good 5 watt CFL - are you sure you' re planning for enough brightness?

• Like 1

THANK YOU !

Yes, exactly right. During this search, I have learned about lumens. Probably 100lm. (or 1W as I was thinking). I tried to explain lumens to the builder but my Thai is not good enough for technical matters.

There will be 3w or 4w for brightness. We will test that, and, if necessary kick up the watts/lumens.

The 1 watt or 90-100 lumens are strictly for accent lighting (over artwork, paintings, and a line of them by the mirrored closet doors. Also in the balconies' ceilings.

The builder will buy a few to test first.

There will be other lighting in the room(s); ambient, floor lamp, over-counter lights and kitchen lights.

THANK YOU !

Yes, exactly right. During this search, I have learned about lumens. Probably 100lm. (or 1W as I was thinking). I tried to explain lumens to the builder but my Thai is not good enough for technical matters.

There will be 3w or 4w for brightness. We will test that, and, if necessary kick up the watts/lumens.

The 1 watt or 90-100 lumens are strictly for accent lighting (over artwork, paintings, and a line of them by the mirrored closet doors. Also in the balconies' ceilings.

The builder will buy a few to test first.

There will be other lighting in the room(s); ambient, floor lamp, over-counter lights and kitchen lights.

Only the best and most expensive LED's are capable of 100lm/watt, and the lower the wattage, the lower the efficiency - making 100lm @ 1watt almost impossible to find (or impossibly expensive).

Accent lighting is relative to ambient light levels too - if the room is pitch black you can accent with 50lm, if it's softly lit maybe 100-150lm will do, if it's relatively brightly lit it could take 300lm just to accent or more... A standard 50w halogen spot makes around 900lm, and it commonly used for accent lighting in commercial situations...

The other factor in all of this is beam angle - reflectors waste up to 20% of visible light, so with LED's the trick is to choose a lamp with the correct engineered beam angle, rather than relying on reflectors to get it right (otherwise, what's the point of LED?).

My suggestion: buy yourself a handful of CFL's in various wattages and use them to test the light levels you really want/need - then go shopping for LED's with appropriate lumens and beam angles.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Just wanted to mention here for those who are interested. LED lighting causes damage to the retina. You will find many studies on the internet. I won't use them and much prefer the soft and healthy lighting of the old conventional bulbs. Just thought I would mention it.

Word from a opthamologist:

The report still managed to ruffle some feathers, though. So where has all the fuss about LEDs come from? Bobby Qureshi, London Eye Hospital consultant opthamologist, points to the test conditions used.

‘The Madrid study tested someone looking at the equivalent of a 100watt light bulb, at a distance of 12 inches for 12 hours a day,’ he says. ‘And this isn’t something a normal person would be doing.’

It is like celery, there is a study that say that if you est a ton a year you may get cancer.

Word from a opthamologist:

The report still managed to ruffle some feathers, though. So where has all the fuss about LEDs come from? Bobby Qureshi, London Eye Hospital consultant opthamologist, points to the test conditions used.

‘The Madrid study tested someone looking at the equivalent of a 100watt light bulb, at a distance of 12 inches for 12 hours a day,’ he says. ‘And this isn’t something a normal person would be doing.’

It is like celery, there is a study that say that if you est a ton a year you may get cancer.

Believe what you want, I only delve in facts. As for quoting Bobby Qureshi, for all you know he was paid to write such a report by those interested! Many scientists have written medical reports that are erroneous to please those that benefit. If I were you, I would investigate this Bobby Qureshi and find out his links and interests and you might find that he is biased - who knows! The problem also with the medical profession is that they come out of University believing everything they are told and never research further, they just believe. Do as you want and be misinformed, it is your privilege.

I might add that I have a friend in Bangkok who has been using LED lights and a LED computer screen for quite some time now and he was recently diagnosed with retinal damage.

As for celery, it is good if you have a history of kidney stones, it actually helps dilute any further formation of stones, and there are actually various cures for cancer but no-one dare tell you about these because it is big business not to cure, and to deceive is paramount!

Believe what you want, I only delve in facts.

there are actually various cures for cancer but no-one dare tell you about these because it is big business not to cure, and to deceive is paramount!

yeah, right.

I can't find 'many' studies, only links to the Madrid tests. I think the jury is still out, but there are already a few products around that supposedly reduce the blue light from LED phone screens.

When considering the UV emitted from LED lamps don't forget that both regular and compact fluorescent lamps are mercury discharge lamps whose output is mostly UV and is converted to visible by a phosphor inside the glass envelope, quite a bit of the UV makes it past the phosphor.

I don't see any studies comparing the relative levels of UV from the various light sources, but I'm willing to bet that the sun is the greatest provider.

I'm not worried yet, our office is 100% LED lit and of course all the PC monitors are LED backlit.

Hi Mister IMHO;

Thank you for your assist. I do truly value your taking the time to inform (me). Can you recommend any reference for me to learn more about the LED lighting? I am getting a bit confused with the many shapes and many bases. And might you recommend a shop, Thailand or online, where I might be able to purchase LED lighting? A good selection is what I am meaning.

The electricians and builder are busily working on it now, and we are going to play with some lighting. I am using the small (halogen) housing rings, and pin-bases.

Thanks again