Russia/Ukraine fiasco - Another nail in Thailand's coffin?

I'd suggest the impact on the Thai stock market so far has been negligible at most.

While western markets were initially down on the news, Thailand was carrying on in its own little way, and the market was up. Personally I was very happy to have Thai equity exposure and be watching the market rise in the last few days

In March (while this Russian fiasco has been peaking and subsiding), foreigners have actually been net buyers of the Thai stock market not net sellers, i.e putting money into Thai equities while this has been going on, not taking it out...

Basing an assessment of Thailand's economics on the bar scene someone frequents in Pattaya and the reference to Russians there isn't exactly representative of Thailand, if one bothers to consider the 70+ other provinces who couldn't care less about Russian tourists.

As for the Thai property crash, property bubble etc, I've been hearing that for the last 15 years or so....

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

As with any country, any significant drop in the value of the Russian currency or stock market, or slow-down of the general economy there, should in theory result in fewer Russians travelling abroad. (Though it may also result in some who used to go to more expensive destinations moving down-market and coming here instead.)

If fewer of them travel to Thailand I will certainly not suffer. Like soi dogs they just get in the way, make a lot of pointless noise and leave crap everywhere and if I never saw another one in my entire life it would be no loss to me. The same applies to every other nationality of mass market tourist also.

I usually find racists calling other nationalities soi dogs the actual curs.

• Like 1