Thai Police arrest 'maniac' truck driver caught on video

webfact

Safety is my biggest worry here.

The maximum speed I drive here is 80 km/h.

I try to stay far away from all U-turns.

I avoid using the most left lane, where all the motorcycles are.

I avoid using the most right lane that is "misused" to jump the queue at U-turns.

I try to go with the flow, but keep a safe distance with the car in front of me.

But I am almost sure that within 1 year I'll have another accident.

I never had an accident in my home country.

Here I had 2 accidents in 2 years (1 serious).

But I see so many accident daily, that soon I must be involved in one again.

I need to drive 100km per day, on the same dangerous road.

My neighbor lost 3 children on that road.

Another neighbor has only half brain and head left and is paralyzed. He can still walk a bit, but can't talk. He collects and sells garbage now.

The restaurant owner nearby was crashed to dead (together with several others) by a truck while sitting in the songteaw, leaving a husband and children behind.

At least once a month I see a body covered with blankets.

I love Thailand, but if there would be one reason to go back, it would be safety in general.

This kind of image just makes me sick.

Tell me about it, i have had the same experiences but you have to get over it.There is a big difference between driving safely and driving nervously.If you drive with the attitude,' i will have an accident soon',its like a self fulfilling prophecy. Drive defensively that's all you can do,if you are nervous while driving you will cause an accident and the next time it may be your fault.

In my first two years here i had 3 accidents none of them were my fault,one accident caused 200,000 Baht damage to my car but no one was injured. I just shook it off and have now been driving 6 years without an accident. I am not nervous but i am careful but i don't take it to the extreme.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do truck drivers need a special license in LOS, or are they just driving on car licenses ?

What's a license

jb1

When i first got my motorbike license here in isaan all the villagers ,all motorbike drivers, crowded round me to look at it,they had never seen one.

• Like 2

Why such an aversion to truth here in the LOS? Does anyone just simply confess here? I screwed up. Sorry. He that ever been said? The relationship many Thais have with truth is perverse.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lying when caught breaking the law is not a Thai phenomenon. I arrested plenty of people back home who came up with all sorts of excuses, reasons, lies, etc.

One only has to read the paper and when non-Thais are caught breaking the law here in the LOS, they often try to run, lie, explain away, etc.

Just my 2-Satangs worth.

I won't claim to speak for spidermike007, but I think what's being noted is the consistency with which Thais remain steadfastly opposed to confessing even in the face of a preponderance of evidence. The proportion of Thais involved in disputes who do not confess would also seem high. There is also the noted lacking of Thais confessing in very high profile matters (politicians being the biggest offenders). More often than not in most people's daily dealings here, I think we would agree that Thais are known for their strong aversion to admitting mistakes and confessing to the truth if it will be regarded as a mistake.

I've had all kinds of things happen to me (perpetrated by Thais), some serious and others less so, and I can count a single time in many, many years visiting and living here that a Thai has admitted a mistake and apologized to me. 1 time in hundreds or thousands.

Confessing your sins is a Christian concept.

Thais, like me, won't ever confess to anything, even if caught red handed.

Never any benefit to confession, so best never to do it.

2 months ago, I got an accident with a driver that changed lanes at the very last moment because he entered the wrong lane and tried to get in front of me, so he wouldn't have to wait in the long queue. He tried to push me of the road, but I just went straight on and didn't move a bit. So, he hit my car on the side.

My insurance came and we made pictures, he admitted he was wrong. It was very clear from the pictures. His insurance paid everything.

I thought it would be a good lesson for him. He was pretty upset he lost 2 hours time.

He said I was selfish because I didn't let him go first.

Now, 2 weeks later, the same guy in the same car, at the same place, had another accident by trying to push another car of the road....

This is the big difference between us and Thais.

We learn from our mistakes.

A Thai does not learn from them, they think they just had bad luck, it'll probably work out next time.

Edited by andygunther
  • Like 1

I avoid using the most right lane that is "misused" to jump the queue at U-turns.

I try to go with the flow, but keep a safe distance with the car in front of me.

Another neighbor has only half brain and head left and is paralyzed. He can still walk a bit, but can't talk. He collects and sells garbage now.

The restaurant owner nearby was crashed to dead (together with several others) by a truck while sitting in the songteaw, leaving a husband and children behind.

I love Thailand, but if there would be one reason to go back, it would be safety in general.

Tell me about it, i have had the same experiences but you have to get over it.There is a big difference between driving safely and driving nervously.If you drive with the attitude,' i will have an accident soon',its like a self fulfilling prophecy. Drive defensively that's all you can do,if you are nervous while driving you will cause an accident and the next time it may be your fault.

In my first two years here i had 3 accidents none of them were my fault,one accident caused 200,000 Baht damage to my car but no one was injured. I just shook it off and have now been driving 6 years without an accident. I am not nervous but i am careful but i don't take it to the extreme.

I have also learned that you have to be tough on the roads here in Thailand.

Here is no one friendly or helpful in the traffic...

Everyone drives selfishly !

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I keep mostly your rules, but

- you can't go max. with 80 in Bangna Trat in BKK.

- have to use U turn many times

- if you keep safe distance which is enough for a car within two minutes some-one will take your safe distance

- I have never been in accident situation (5o ooo km / year) but this was my special luck, and can be turned anytime.

50K km/yr? If, by chance, you have availability to any more of those "special luck" amulets, I want one.

There is life on Planet Thailand Mr.Spock,but not as we know it.

Why such an aversion to truth here in the LOS? Does anyone just simply confess here? I screwed up. Sorry. He that ever been said? The relationship many Thais have with truth is perverse.

Spidermike
Chaiyaphum, Thailand

This is planet Thailand......................of another universe/galaxy/timewarp!

2 months ago, I got an accident with a driver that changed lanes at the very last moment because he entered the wrong lane and tried to get in front of me, so he wouldn't have to wait in the long queue. He tried to push me of the road, but I just went straight on and didn't move a bit. So, he hit my car on the side.

My insurance came and we made pictures, he admitted he was wrong. It was very clear from the pictures. His insurance paid everything.

I thought it would be a good lesson for him. He was pretty upset he lost 2 hours time.

Now, 2 weeks later, the same guy in the same car, at the same place, had another accident by trying to push another car of the road....

A Thai does not learn from them, they think they just had bad luck, it'll probably work out next time.

Very true.

I have also learned that you have to be tough on the roads here in Thailand.

Here is no one friendly or helpful in the traffic...

Everyone drives selfishly !

"Here is no one friendly or helpful in the traffic...

Everyone drives selfishly !"

Very true. You also have to remember that being in a car adds a sense of invisibility to one's being.

Here they can act naturally and express their true being without having to confine to their fake social pretense of Thainess.

Judge a people by how they drive and how they treat those at their mercy.

This is one of the reasons I have a car cam filming every km I drive in LOS.

And for the two drivers..... grow up and let the other go his own way, have a break and grab a tea or a cup of coffee

Ditto... I bit expensive to buy in Australia but like you, my new Dashcam records every km of my journey. I based my logic on the fact that if a farang is involved in an accident, it's their fault...

Touch wood, I've not had an accident in six years of being here but I want to be prepared. :-)

Very true.

Do you think we are discussing intelligence, in general, or just common sense? Or street smarts? Or humility? It does take a little bit of humility to admit that one has erred, and to admit you can do better next time. Is it possible very few Thai men have that ability? Does the nonsense called "face" get in the way of living an intelligent life?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Lying when caught breaking the law is not a Thai phenomenon. I arrested plenty of people back home who came up with all sorts of excuses, reasons, lies, etc.

One only has to read the paper and when non-Thais are caught breaking the law here in the LOS, they often try to run, lie, explain away, etc.

Just my 2-Satangs worth.

I won't claim to speak for spidermike007, but I think what's being noted is the consistency with which Thais remain steadfastly opposed to confessing even in the face of a preponderance of evidence. The proportion of Thais involved in disputes who do not confess would also seem high. There is also the noted lacking of Thais confessing in very high profile matters (politicians being the biggest offenders). More often than not in most people's daily dealings here, I think we would agree that Thais are known for their strong aversion to admitting mistakes and confessing to the truth if it will be regarded as a mistake.

I've had all kinds of things happen to me (perpetrated by Thais), some serious and others less so, and I can count a single time in many, many years visiting and living here that a Thai has admitted a mistake and apologized to me. 1 time in hundreds or thousands.

Confessing your sins is a Christian concept.

Thais, like me, won't ever confess to anything, even if caught red handed.

Never any benefit to confession, so best never to do it.

But it is an apology that resets the relationship - means you are living on the same planet, speaking the same language.

Otherwise relationship is forever damaged - presuming a relationship.

But must save face!