Phuket driver 'caused death crash while using phone'

webfact

Phuket driver 'caused death crash while using phone'
Eakkapop Thongtub

1393902419_1.jpg
Locals at the scene of last night's crash.

PHUKET: -- A young woman accused of using her phone while driving smashed into a motorbike yesterday evening (March 3), driving the bike and her own car into a deep roadside ditch, and killing the motorbike rider.

Police, who were quickly on the scene, two kilometres east of the Heroines Monument, controlled a mob of local people who, on seeing Trisukon Lohplodpai, 24, emerge from the wreck of her car with a mobile phone to her ear, were all ready to give her a very hard time.

In the ditch police found Ms Trisukon’s badly damaged white Toyota Vios, a red Yamaha motorbike and the body of the bike’s rider, Panthep Suebsode, 28.

Witnesses told police that the car and the motorbike were coming the same way, from Pa Khlok heading west. The car, travelling at speed, slammed into the back of the bike then, out of control, dragged it and Mr Panthep 100 metres across the opposing lane and into the ditch.

Ms Trisukon climbed out of the wreck with her phone to her ear, mightily offending friends and relatives of the dead man, who accused her of using her phone while driving, causing the accident.

As they gathered to attack her, police arrived and managed to control the situation.

Pol Lt Chatree Chuwichian from Thalang Police Station told The Phuket News, “The woman is now in Mission Hospital because she has a stomach injury. The doctor said she had to stay there overnight.

“When she has recovered, we will charge her with careless driving causing death.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-driver-%E2%80%98caused-death-crash-while-using-phone%E2%80%99-44947.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-04

That's second deadly accident in that are that hit the news in couple of days.

While I hate the crazy driving here, why in this case it's assumed that she was talking to a phone while she was driving?

I guess one of the first ideas, after accident is to call someone for help / assistance, which she might have just done. Here to the relatives, in other places to call for an ambulance / emergency number. I'll hope the police will get her call records to see if that was the case.

Just a couple of years ago I remember a Thai Transport Ministry spokesperson being interviewed by a Western journalist who asked (amongst other things connected with the appalling Thai road traffic casualty rate) why no police action was ever taken against drivers who use their mobile phones whilst driving......................the reply was to the effect that it was not a problem since Thais were able to do several things at the same time!

Sadly, even fatalities like this one, will do nothing to change the laughable superiority complex of those running this third world country.

WHAT!???

please find the link and forward

• Like 1

Just a couple of years ago I remember a Thai Transport Ministry spokesperson being interviewed by a Western journalist who asked (amongst other things connected with the appalling Thai road traffic casualty rate) why no police action was ever taken against drivers who use their mobile phones whilst driving......................the reply was to the effect that it was not a problem since Thais were able to do several things at the same time!

Sadly, even fatalities like this one, will do nothing to change the laughable superiority complex of those running this third world country.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Yet more selfish unique Thainess behaviour......

People use phones while driving in every country, and cause bad accidents. Not unique to Thais.

At least many western countries have harsh fines for such..AFAIK Aus is about $400...and loss of points, but people still use them, and still cause crashes..

I just can't understand why the difficulty [loss of concentration] that many people appear to have,simply talking on a phone whilst driving...its so simple...

OK texting, for sure is totally different ball game by virtue of operation, but just talking????

• Like 1

How could these people live with themselves, after killling someone ???

So, frequent this happens....,

I think they go to the temple after, say a few prayers and thats them back on the road, with a clear head..

So so sad, be interesting if she does get charged, who knows might be related to the Nephew of Red Bull,the guy that ploughed down that Police officer, and he got off with it, Law and Order is a non starter here

Sorry for sounding negative, but this is daily...

• Like 2

Australia realised that using mobile phones when driving was highly dangerous, and brought in a $300 fine for even touching a phone while driving. The points lost can also mean no licence in a very short time. Hands free is ok, with mounted microphone and speaker.

In spite of the alleged 'superior races' who can multi-task whilst texting or talking, research by lesser races has shown that using a phone when driving is equivalent to a good few glasses of beer.

A good example of this multi-tasking expertise was on the Canal Rd a few nights back, where a lane was filled with cars trying to get past a car travelling at about 20kmh. When I drew level with him, he had his hand to his ear, chatting on the phone.

• Like 2

People use phones while driving in every country, and cause bad accidents. Not unique to Thais.

At least many western countries have harsh fines for such..AFAIK Aus is about $400...and loss of points, but people still use them, and still cause crashes..

I just can't understand why the difficulty [loss of concentration] that many people appear to have,simply talking on a phone whilst driving...its so simple...

OK texting, for sure is totally different ball game by virtue of operation, but just talking????

Actually no it is not "simply talking".

The brain is not good at multitasking, in spite of what people claim.

Take an example. How many times have you been bumped into or had to avoid people on the street walking and talking on the phone at the same time?

Or driving a vehicle. If you are doing something a little complex, like turning right across traffic or overtaking, most drivers will tend to stop talking to passengers and also passengers will tend to stop talking, as they appreciate that additional concentration is required.

This effect has been reported here, for example.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120510095812.htm

Texting twenty three times more likely to have an accident, talking four times more likely than just driving.

i spent a week recently, with a female friend, her driving around BKK, her phone was permanently stuck to her ear, never seen so many near misses on her part, (must have been all those talismen she had hanging from the front windscreen, think they are invincible)) it frightened the sh*t out of me, and me an ex rally driver.

• Like 1

We call that multitasking, but I don't see many Thais who can do that without problems, you'll see that everyday on the road, and they don't pay attention anymore for the traffic.

However not only Thais have problems with multitasking.

• Like 1

She climbed out with the phone still glued to her ear. How's that for dedication to the cause of blatant stupidity?

And then, Pol Lt Chatree Chuwichian said: “When she has recovered, we will charge her with careless driving causing death.” Careless driving? That's it? It should be dangerous driving plus driving without due care and attention, and a manslaughter charge for good measure. The mobile phone rule has been in force for long enough, yet these morons - in particular the female of the species - continually flout it. And you can all too often see where their vague concentration is focused - and it's not the road.

In many countries, drivers use their phone while driving. But surreptitiously.

Here, I could take many videos of people on motorbikes, no helmets, chatting on the phone, while driving in front of the police station...

Actually no it is not "simply talking".

Take an example. How many times have you been bumped into or had to avoid people on the street walking and talking on the phone at the same time?

Or driving a vehicle. If you are doing something a little complex, like turning right across traffic or overtaking, most drivers will tend to stop talking to passengers and also passengers will tend to stop talking, as they appreciate that additional concentration is required.

This effect has been reported here, for example.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120510095812.htm

Texting twenty three times more likely to have an accident, talking four times more likely than just driving.

Different strokes for different folks applies here obviously....everyone is different but in this crazy world everything/everyone is ''blanket-covered''

Some people, myself included can indeed multi task with no problems [it is a skill one can aquire if one wants to practice, practice.....when i was flying eg, one of the most critical concentration times is approach and landing and in this time you have the maximum use of two way communication occurrence ...you are on full alert and multi tasking to the max!!

Also if as you say it is not just talking...why then do they for eg in Aus allow hands free ..it is just talking as i said...

I do realise that yes some neanderthal types can't even avoid you when walking and talking.....bizarre..to say the least..they probably cannot even tie their own shoe laces either..

Edited by andreandre

Different strokes for different folks applies here obviously....everyone is different but in this crazy world everything/everyone is ''blanket-covered''

Some people, myself included can indeed multi task with no problems [it is a skill one can aquire if one wants to practice, practice.....when i was flying eg, one of the most critical concentration times is approach and landing and in this time you have the maximum use of two way communication occurrence ...you are on full alert and multi tasking to the max!!

Also if as you say it is not just talking...why then do they for eg in Aus allow hands free ..it is just talking as i said...

I do realise that yes some neanderthal types can't even avoid you when walking and talking.....bizarre..to say the least..they probably cannot even tie their own shoe laces either..

Multitasking is not possible, the brain can only handle one task at a time. Lots of studies on that.

What can be achieved is fast switching between tasks, but it is very inefficient.

I also had a pilot's licence.

Approach and landing is essentially a series of sequential procedures following a check list, a lot of which become routine and don't require much thought. Communication is restricted to fixed format messages which become routine and do not require a lot of thinking.

I agree it was a times a bit stressful with sidewinds for example. And there is no way I would have considered carrying on a conversation

mobile or otherwise in that phase of the flight.

On reflection, I would say that 99% of my landings had less stress than a single trip across Bangkok on a motorcycle.

• Like 1

She climbed out with the phone still glued to her ear. How's that for dedication to the cause of blatant stupidity?

And then, Pol Lt Chatree Chuwichian said: “When she has recovered, we will charge her with careless driving causing death.” Careless driving? That's it? It should be dangerous driving plus driving without due care and attention, and a manslaughter charge for good measure. The mobile phone rule has been in force for long enough, yet these morons - in particular the female of the species - continually flout it. And you can all too often see where their vague concentration is focused - and it's not the road.

You made up that 'still'. So you checked her phonerecords to conclude that she was on the phone when the accident occured?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Multitasking is not possible, the brain can only handle one task at a time. Lots of studies on that.

What can be achieved is fast switching between tasks, but it is very inefficient.

I also had a pilot's licence.

Approach and landing is essentially a series of sequential procedures following a check list, a lot of which become routine and don't require much thought. Communication is restricted to fixed format messages which become routine and do not require a lot of thinking.

I agree it was a times a bit stressful with sidewinds for example. And there is no way I would have considered carrying on a conversation

mobile or otherwise in that phase of the flight.

On reflection, I would say that 99% of my landings had less stress than a single trip across Bangkok on a motorcycle.

Different strokes for different folks, as i said...

That's second deadly accident in that are that hit the news in couple of days.

While I hate the crazy driving here, why in this case it's assumed that she was talking to a phone while she was driving?

I guess one of the first ideas, after accident is to call someone for help / assistance, which she might have just done. Here to the relatives, in other places to call for an ambulance / emergency number. I'll hope the police will get her call records to see if that was the case.

Referring to Thailand, the police making any efforts to "call logs" is so unbelievably laughable.

If this were America that 1st call would be to a lawyer asking how should I fake my injuries so I can sue for a million.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I seem to recall some years ago that the accident rate while driving and talking on the phone was about the same as driving under the influence. Perhaps Thais because of their superior mental facilities can drive and talk, but in this case she was also chewing gum..... the fatal factor

Accused of using her phone while driving...

If anyone has an accident the first thing many do in Thailand is call someone who may be able to help.

Was she using the phone while driving? no one knows... phone records will prove so or not.

Another perspective: If a bike pulled out in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and ended up in a ditch with angry looking locals arriving, I'd be very quick to pick up my phone and get the police / friends or anyone else who can prevent me from being lynched...

The sensationalist headline has lead many posters into an unbalanced series of judgements...

If someone is on the phone and has an accident would they really continue their conversation while exiting the wreckage ?

Until Police worldwide atart impounding phones, and the simcard, as evidence this will continue. A woman in Australia mowed down a cyclist and killed him and her Defence was "I wasn't talking on the phone, I was sending a text".