Angry Phuket tuk-tuk drivers blockade Patong

webfact

"cue NKM - and that's Ok in this topic :thumbsup:" - SNAPSHOT of the Phuket News Thaivisa Forum front page.

6 out of the 29 threads displayed on the front page are DIRECTLY related to road transport on Phuket.

That equates to around 21% of threads, and that's only the current front page.

That's 1 in 5 threads, which are all negative, related to road transport here.

Not questioning moderation, but it would seem it's "ok" to post about this disgraceful situation on 21% of threads, or one in every 5 threads - such is the dire situation here.

The numbers don't lie, and can't be disputed.

"that's why I see so many newbie tourists on the roads driving motor bikes" - as said, publically, and privately, I firmly believe, that's why so many die here.

Strange, since the number of tourists on motorbikes has increased, and the number of deaths on the roads has decreased.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting comment. I would need to wait and review the published statistics. All I can say is that it's scarey watching many novice m/bike drivers wobbling about in packs. Mind you it's even more alarming watching the 'experts' overtaking with no fear of oncoming traffic.
Yes, especialy the chinese seem to be wobblers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"cue NKM - and that's Ok in this topic :thumbsup:" - SNAPSHOT of the Phuket News Thaivisa Forum front page.

6 out of the 29 threads displayed on the front page are DIRECTLY related to road transport on Phuket.

Not questioning moderation, but it would seem it's "ok" to post about this disgraceful situation on 21% of threads, or one in every 5 threads - such is the dire situation here.

"that's why I see so many newbie tourists on the roads driving motor bikes" - as said, publically, and privately, I firmly believe, that's why so many die here.

Strange, since the number of tourists on motorbikes has increased, and the number of deaths on the roads has decreased.

Interesting comment. I would need to wait and review the published statistics. All I can say is that it's scarey watching many novice m/bike drivers wobbling about in packs. Mind you it's even more alarming watching the 'experts' overtaking with no fear of oncoming traffic.

"Mind you it's even more alarming watching the 'experts' overtaking with no fear of oncoming traffic." - especially when the "oncoming traffic" is "novice m/bike drivers wobbling about in packs." :)

The sooner tourists are made aware of the crap that goes on in Phuket the better. All you ever hear in negative from the place. I pity people who have made their homes there.

As for Tuk Tuk drivers I don't think I need to say anymore as many have pointed out Tuk Tuk drivers need tourism as a supply of their income, when it all goes tits up who will they run to?

Plenty of great places to spend your holidays in Thailand, stay away from Phuket until someone does something about the scams and mafia.

I sense that the casual tourist does some research on the net and is aware of the Tuk Tuk problems, that's why I see so many newbie tourists on the roads driving motor bikes and hire cars (cue NKM - and that's Ok in this topic thumbsup.gif )

Quite honestly this particular blockage of every road into Patong is just senseless. These guys are just killing their income potential. I made my home here in Phuket (10 years in Patong, and now 7 years in Kata) and you have no need to pity me.

And yes, I have a business here in Phuket, but I have no sympathy for this nonsense and I wish that the tourists would vanish and give these loons a lesson in real life economics.

I had a guest check-in this morning and he related to me his experience of travelling from the airport to Patong early this morning. Road blocked on the down hill into Patong, so he had to exit his very expensive taxi ride, walk through the taxi mob, where he felt threatened by the mob for violating their blockade, finding a m/cycle taxi and making his way into Patong.

How many other tourists had this experience ? Phuket has it's many problems, but this is just way over the top. Rant over.

"cue NKM - and that's Ok in this topic thumbsup.gif" - SNAPSHOT of the Phuket News Thaivisa Forum front page.

Sadly, I suppose one road death every three days, and I suspect it's actually worse than reported, seems acceptable to some.

Don't twist words. You're claiming more and more people on bikes are the cuase of more and more road deaths. With the number of road deaths decreased over the years your claim lacks any foundation.

"With the number of road deaths decreased over the years" - please post the link to your source.

Kathu Police Chief Col Jirapat Phochanapan should have assigned officers to walk among the tuk tuks blocking the road and write down the license plates of each vehicle. Then announce that if these vehicles were found blocking the raods at any time in the future, their vehicle licenses would be revoked and the owners would be denied the ability to relicense their vehicles for 10 years. Then follow up and enforce it.

I'm dreaming, I know.

• Like 1

Wow, what will they come up next ? Red shirt, yellow shirt, black shirt, yellow plate, green plate, black plate ? Next up : shoes, belts, flowers and teeth ?

Thailand : it starts with the color !!!

OMB! What should I do?!? I am extremely colorblind, I see Thailand in Black & White only...tongue.png

I wish the tourists would vote with their feet and not give Phuket any business until the mafia is cleaned up. But, it will never happen, they keep coming, why, I can't figure it out. Just like the decades old jet ski scam, they continue to rent jet skis daily and get scammed. As long as the fools keep coming the crooks won't change their ways. But the fools keep coming and always will. I guess it's the way of the world. A lucrative criminal scam will continue as the fools continue to get scammed. I can't figure out why they keep coming to such a dirty crime infested place to get scammed, surely there are nicer places .

• Like 2

What a disaster........

Seems now at least every couple of days, there are similar disasters, farces, April fools day type events and more and more examples of locals shooting themselves in the foot, round and round responses from the Gov and BIB and dare i mention the hard hitting clean up crew from BKK [DSI]..

Its like a whirlwind of crap spinning out of control and no one knows where to start to get it all under control..let alone have the gonads to actually do something to reign it all in

From every possible angle and every possible aspect it appears that Phuket is totally out of control .

When last did you ever see a, successful ,good job done story concerning the landslide of troubles appear on any news outlet here?

I can't recall one.sad.png

• Like 2

What a disaster........

Seems now at least every couple of days, there are similar disasters, farces, April fools day type events and more and more examples of locals shooting themselves in the foot, round and round responses from the Gov and BIB and dare i mention the hard hitting clean up crew from BKK [DSI]..

Its like a whirlwind of crap spinning out of control and no one knows where to start to get it all under control..let alone have the gonads to actually do something to reign it all in

From every possible angle and every possible aspect it appears that Phuket is totally out of control .

When last did you ever see a, successful ,good job done story concerning the landslide of troubles appear on any news outlet here?

I can't recall one.sad.png

Sorry to say you are correct, the hard hitters from Bangkok just came for their share of the pie!

Its too bad the police don't grow a set of balls and arrest all the drivers blocking the roads and impound their tuk tuks for a month or so.

Or better still crush them for recycling , doing same to drivers is optional whistling.gif

Should get rid of these mafia by charging tourist very expensive rates , from Jungceylon to hotel less then 1 km charging 300 baht never consider going back again to Phuket with bad reputation of this Island. Even Europe ammbasador complaint noting much can be done, should purpose small tuk-tuk running like Pattaya which charging 10-20 Baht but it get protest from tuk-tuk drivers, We are talking about volumme of passangers and not waiting for baits by parking in front of hotels and shopping mall, the mafia reserved thier rights but not letting others to come in this kind of act are unacceptable .

Edited by Bkungbank

So what is the real story of these idiots blockading the roads? PW says it is because the four drivers that got arrested in the sting want the charges dropped ( which supposedly has happened) and the chief of police in Kathu (Patong) removed ( which apparently has also been done). Phuketnews says it's because the police are clamping down on yellow plates ( tuk tuk drivers) and going easy on the other coloured plates and the yellow plates don't like the "unfair" treatment.

Either way, the tuk tuk drivers are a force that needs to be steamrolled by army tanks.

So what is the real story of these idiots blockading the roads? PW says it is because the four drivers that got arrested in the sting want the charges dropped ( which supposedly has happened) and the chief of police in Kathu (Patong) removed ( which apparently has also been done). Phuketnews says it's because the police are clamping down on yellow plates ( tuk tuk drivers) and going easy on the other coloured plates and the yellow plates don't like the "unfair" treatment.

Either way, the tuk tuk drivers are a force that needs to be steamrolled by army tanks.

The point is sting operations only work if you have done something wrong... if not then you cannot be stung!

Edited by eezergood

I doubt they know themselves what the blockade was for, as long as they can protest something.

Its too bad the police don't grow a set of balls and arrest all the drivers blocking the roads and impound their tuk tuks for a month or so.

Or better still crush them for recycling , doing same to drivers is optional whistling.gif

Would you arrest your brother, or the man thats making you an extra few thousand a month??

I wish the tourists would vote with their feet and not give Phuket any business until the mafia is cleaned up. But, it will never happen, they keep coming, why, I can't figure it out. Just like the decades old jet ski scam, they continue to rent jet skis daily and get scammed. As long as the fools keep coming the crooks won't change their ways. But the fools keep coming and always will. I guess it's the way of the world. A lucrative criminal scam will continue as the fools continue to get scammed. I can't figure out why they keep coming to such a dirty crime infested place to get scammed, surely there are nicer places .

You are right. Why do we continue to use banks?

• Like 2

Is the whole of Phuket bad or just certain areas, like Patong?

The things we do to get laid.....anyway:

Is the tuk-tuk blockade ongoing? Only for a few hours each day? Can motorbikes get through?

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).