Vaccinations for new born babies

angryfarang

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they most likely will give the baby an injection of Vitamin K ! ( Google for the reason)

The first dose of Hep-B vaccine is usually given before the baby leaves hospital.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hepb/fs-parents.html

Not in our case.

Our TWINS were premies between 2 and 6 weeks, depending on when a baby should be born.

They got their Hep-B shots last week ... it's a month after they were born for them.

Private Hospital, greater Bangkok area.

• Like 2

Interesting.

And if you don't give consent, I wonder if they will make an issue of it.

They don't make any issues of it, if you say no, they just do it out of your sight.

I thought Hep-B shots were one of the non-government approved vaccines (not free ... could be wrong, as these are my first kids) and hence you had to pay for this particular shot.

That said ... I know what 52 is getting at and that action would not surprise me.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Depends on who is refusing consent.

Unless a father is married to the mother then he has no "legal" rights to refuse consent.

Secondly the Mother, (if she is Thai), will likely wish to follow the advice of the Thai medical staff in relation to her babies health and well being.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But they most likely will give the baby an injection of Vitamin K ! ( Google for the reason)

The first dose of Hep-B vaccine is usually given before the baby leaves hospital.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hepb/fs-parents.html

Not in our case.

Our TWINS were premies between 2 and 6 weeks, depending on when a baby should be born.

They got their Hep-B shots last week ... it's a month after they were born for them.

Private Hospital, greater Bangkok area.

There are of course valid exceptions to most rules !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dear Lord, if any doctor tries to do this to my child, they'll be removing the syringe from their eye...

Violence within the context of a hospital environment would earn the perpetrator a nice long stay in the Bangkok Hilton !

I'm only kidding about the violence of course.

Would it be best to have my lawyers draw up a letter refusing consent to any vaccinations - signed by the mother?

I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't want my newborn baby stuck with the hep-b vaccine.

I'm only kidding about the violence of course.

Would it be best to have my lawyers draw up a letter refusing consent to any vaccinations - signed by the mother?

I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't want my newborn baby stuck with the hep-b vaccine.

What is your relationship with the Mother.

Have you discussed you this issue with her ?

Has she had the opportunity of discussing the matter with her medical adviser(s).

My relationship with the mother has nothing to do with this, we are both educated people and in agreement that we don't want our child to have vaccinations - especially the hep-b which is practically given after birth.

I don't want to turn this in to a debate about vaccinations - I'm asking about our options to refuse vaccinations - not if they're necessary or not.

Sorry I had no intention of prying into your private life.

Be aware however that unless you are married to the babies mother you have no legal rights in relation to the child.

If the Mother is not married to the babies father all parental rights are hers and hers alone. The Mother in this case should discuss the issue with her doctor(s) and if she does not wish her baby vaccinated her wish will be noted and respected.

to the OP.

We've discussed this a bit in the past.

Have a look at this thread ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667471-vaccine/

It's one of the less emotive ones.

Particularly posts # 09 and # 10. Post # 10 gives the list of recommended Vaccines. If it's not on the free list there, most likely it won't be given and you would have to pay for it.

As a parent, I understand the dilemma you face. We were happy to go with it ... you obviously have reservations.

Just trying to help without a hidden agenda.

My daughter was vaccinated with Hep B on the day she was born and BCG the day after. She is now 3 years old and it does not seem to have done her any harm so far. What are your objections?

Private or Government Hospital?

Hey man, no worries, it's cool.

Many thanks for the information. The mother (to be...) wishes that child is not vaccinated.

My question now, what is the best way to enforce this?

"enforce! " ?

All that is required is for the mother - to- be to make her wishes known to her medical advisers.

Thanks for the links. I'll take some time to read.

Check this link out too. There are hundreds more like it if you google. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/8199964/We-were-hippies-about-it

And while not being judgmental, the subject is a little close to home - I had two cousins who contracted polio back in the 50's 60's before the vaccine was widely available. One died as an infant, the other contracted the disease when 12 years old and died at age 52 after suffering life with a leg brace and one shoe that had a 6 inch height compensation. Most of her years from 35 on were in a wheelchair.

As recently as last year my golf caddie here in thailand (aged 33) contracted Diptheria (of all things), and nearly died.

Anyway, best of luck.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Its really no big deal just don't take your child back for vaccinations after its born. Although i don't agree its up to you. The hospital never comes looking for my kids if they are late for their vaccinations.

Not sure if they (thailand) require vaccination records to attend school like they do in the usa.

Cool. Like I said, I'm sure some are necessary.

I just don't agree with giving a new born baby a jab for hep-b - a sexually transmitted disease. It's not like he's going to be heading to Nana the night of his birth.

You need to do some research on Hep B. It can be contracted by mother to child contact if the Mother is a carrier or if others around the baby are carriers. And let's face it, Hep B is far from rare in Thailand.

I'm no expert, but if you're basing your decision solely on the assumption that it is a sexually transmitted disease, do some research.