I became tired of the daily routine...

David48

Someone is only seen as a walking ATM if he/she stupid enough to give people the impression that this is what he/she is.

Sure, go ahead and lead with your wallet if that's reall all you've got going for you in this country but, <deleted>, don't start complaining when people - Thai and foreigner - take this piss

You can hardy find a stingier person than me. Even though I don't really carry money on me, speak Thai, and try to be polite with them, they still try to rip me off at any available opportunity. Furthermore, I have never given the impression that I am well-off or willing to pay a lot. (I am a middle class on a rather low income) I wear cheap clothes etc...

Even people whom I know try to double price me. Despite the fact that I am a regular at certain places, they try to double price me.

So, no, you don't need to give any sort of impression.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to OP, but those sound like your problems, not Thailand's.

No offense to the Poster ... but did you read my OP?

Thanks for the reply though ...

Yes, I read it. Says you left Thailand because you were tired of your daily routine of drinking, chasing women, fighting traffic, being seen as a walking ATM, the language barrier, politics, and a list of other things.

I'm curious, what does that have to do with Thailand?

You can hardy find a stingier person than me. Even though I don't really carry money on me, speak Thai, and try to be polite with them, they still try to rip me off at any available opportunity. Furthermore, I have never given the impression that I am well-off or willing to pay a lot. (I am a middle class on a rather low income) I wear cheap clothes etc...

Even people whom I know try to double price me. Despite the fact that I am a regular at certain places, they try to double price me.

I really can't identify with this problem, maybe you live in a tourist area?

It just doesn't happen to me at all, or at least not that I can recall having been bothered by it since my first year or two living here.

I guess another factor is other than marked-price shops where there isn't any bargaining, I generally only buy things I've been buying for years and know the price, I suppose a street vendor might try it on and I just give a snicker and offer them the right price, if they turn me down I smile Kapom and walk away, no drama, if it happens like that I don't even notice I guess.

It just doesn't happen to me at all, or at least not that I can recall having been bothered by it since my first year or two living here.

I guess another factor is other than marked-price shops where there isn't any bargaining, I generally only buy things I've been buying for years and know the price, I suppose a street vendor might try it on and I just give a snicker and offer them the right price, if they turn me down I smile Kapom and walk away, no drama, if it happens like that I don't even notice I guess.

No, I live somewhere where there are not many farangs. It is just part of the life here. I believe that I am friendly and this makes them believe then I am gullible enough. Who knows it.

So you deal with it effectively, just never mind, not a problem, water off a duck's back, laugh and joke about it don't let it bother you.

Or go where prices are fixed, but almost EVERYTHING is more expensive.

No, I live somewhere where there are not many farangs. It is just part of the life here. I believe that I am friendly and this makes them believe then I am gullible enough. Who knows it.

Try moving to Thailand.

a bit more while I am on it:

i find thais ( maybe most people) are very poor listeners

also i would not miss the yelling when talking/speaking but that is true of other cultures too

while some thais are very gentle and soft spoken, so it all works out

i could also say thais are very nosy and have a very poor sense of personal boundaries and respect for others property, but that too is not just a thai only thing

Well when you understand that the vast majority are completely selfish, that feelings are a very poor child to money, then you will understand why most do not bother to listen either. It is a waste of effort when you will do whatever you want anyway!

Try moving to Thailand.

Would you elaborate on this?

I have been here for 2 and a half years.

Try moving to Thailand.

Would you elaborate on this?

I have been here for 2 and a half years.

Sorry didn't sound like the Thailand I know. I thought you lived in Florida.

Edited by thailiketoo

Someone is only seen as a walking ATM if he/she stupid enough to give people the impression that this is what he/she is.

Sure, go ahead and lead with your wallet if that's reall all you've got going for you in this country but, <deleted>, don't start complaining when people - Thai and foreigner - take this piss

Well maybe that's your problem. Maybe they perceive you as being too eager to please or ingratiate yourself so they try it on.

I'm polite too but I give the impression that I'm not the kind to horse around - which I'm not.

I'm NEVER seen drunk and I'm NEVER seen walking with hookers

I've lived in this corner of downtown for 6 years.

Not one of the locals I know would DARE ask me for a handout even though they know

1. Where I live and what I pay,

2. The prices of the clothes I wear and

3. That I eat overpriced Western food

While people will try it on in any country, I think Thais have a very keen sense of what they'll be allowed to get away with and what they won't. If they sense what THEY perceive to be "class", they generally respect it.

Edited by HardenedSoul

Well maybe that's your problem. Maybe they perceive you as being too eager to please or ingratiate yourself so they try it on.

I'm polite too but I give the impression that I'm not the kind to horse around - which I'm not.

Not one of the locals I know would DARE ask me for a handout even though they know

While people will try it on in any country, I think Thais have a very keen sense of what they'll be allowed to get away with and what they won't. If they sense what THEY perceive to be "class", they generally respect it.

I guess you are the lucky one and I am the ill-fated one.

This is my experience which I can't change.

Also, no hookers around me but my wife quite often. thumbsup.gif

I guess you are the lucky one and I am the ill-fated one.

This is my experience which I can't change.

Also, no hookers around me but my wife quite often. thumbsup.gif

"Also, no hookers around me but my wife quite often."

Jeez, you could have worded that one a bit better. lol

• Like 1

common sense...

I am thinking of opening a school for those suffering from Elevator Up is Up and Down is Up Syndrome.

never seen so many people not understand that the up arrow means it is going up and down arrow means it is going down.

additional night classes for those also suffering from fear of moving escalators will be an option as well. Sorry no diploma offered for either.

• Like 2

Does the media really portray us as moronic villains? I e heard of a "don't follow the foreigners" attitude that supposedly runs deep in Thai education and upbringing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Thai education".... now there is an oxymoron.

Answering "Yes" to an "either-or" question.

Cutting in front, or just not getting out of the way -- traffic, queues, etc.

Not accepting 25 and 50 satang coins.

Letting you explain something quite complicated in English, but not understanding any of it.

Lack of logical thought processes -- though it is somewhat charming in unimportant situations.

....... there's more after I get something to eat..... ;)

• Like 1

No offense to OP, but those sound like your problems, not Thailand's.

No offense to the Poster ... but did you read my OP?

Thanks for the reply though ...

Yes, I read it. Says you left Thailand because you were tired of your daily routine of drinking, chasing women, fighting traffic, being seen as a walking ATM, the language barrier, politics, and a list of other things.

I'm curious, what does that have to do with Thailand?

Try reading it again.

"Normally I wouldn't open an OP with a quote from another Member.

But I just can't write this stuff ...

ggt, on 04 Mar 2014 - 11:57, said:"

• Like 2

Reading this topic it becomes apparent TV is a forum or a glass half full of whingers and the other half are generally more upbeat. Me, certainly no more complaint's than back in Australia and who is going to listen anyhow. Think I'll get a hammock and lie under the mango tree there's a nice cool breeze today.

• Like 2

in general, and i know how harsh this sounds but, i think you would be hard pressed to prove this is NOT often the case:

an overall and general lack of what i would call morals and ethics, period

life seems to revolve around immediate gratification and how one is perceived by another and once again that has it's good points as well

it might have something to do with the face saving and social conditioning which also has its charming points

Reading this topic it becomes apparent TV is a forum or a glass half full of whingers and the other half are generally more upbeat. Me, certainly no more complaint's than back in Australia and who is going to listen anyhow. Think I'll get a hammock and lie under the mango tree there's a nice cool breeze today.

There is a fine line between complaining and getting something out / off of ones chest / self expression.

There is also a difference between how this is done properly in person and online.

Hearing loud music.

But one thing he/she did not say is tired of living in Thailand, so he/she won't go anywhere but stays in Thailand (:

That loud stuff is not music, it is noise, plain and simple, music is played by instruments. That loud "music" you mention is computerised crap. Are they real drums you hear? Is it a real bass you hear? Can you make out a melody? Do you hear a piano, a guitar, trumpet, saxophone ETC ETC ETC?

• David - here's my response to the questions raised by whomever made that original post.
  • drinking...Instigate some self control, drink less. And let's face it, that's hardly a problem unique to Thailand.
  • chasing women...Count yourself lucky.
  • fighting traffic...Don't fight, just roll along like water over boulders in a river.
  • getting ripped off...Learn how to bargain. Being ripped off requires someone to part with their money - one's choice really.
  • being seen as a walking ATM machine...Get a T-shirt from the market that say's "I'm not a walking ATM". Don't get ripped off, 200B max!!
  • the language barrier...Since one can create time by drinking less, invest that time and learn some Thai. Um.....requires some energy.
  • the corruption at every level...Do me a favour! Wear your helmet, get a licence, don't get arrested, don't hire a jet-ski. Otherwise, what corruption "at every level" is one exposed to?
  • being portrayed in the media as moronic villains...Accept that there are more than a few moronic villains here, but most Europeans and Thais can spot a good bloke v. a moron at 50 paces.
  • immigration...Well, living in a foreign country does usually require one to meet immigration requirements.
  • banking...Count yourself lucky you have sufficient funds to require a bank account.
  • Thai politics...Funnier than a fight. Don't you enjoy a good comedy when you see one.

And invest in one of them glasses that is half full and not half empty. They cost the same but the half full one gives much more bang for your bucks.

Or, get a smaller glass :)

Ummm david48

have considered in great length your daily routine issues and my reply to them, my conclusion is I will have another red wine and would suggest if you don't like Thailand leave.

Now where was I OH yes that red.

Bye

Ummm david48

have considered in great length your daily routine issues and my reply to them, my conclusion is I will have another red wine and would suggest if you don't like Thailand leave.

Now where was I OH yes that red.

Bye

cheesy.gif ....woooosh much

• Like 1

The fact that you cannot tell a Thai he/she's wrong, because of the face thing.

Or even make them feel like they have done something wrong

is tiresome.

Is everyone in the beauty contest a winner? Does every Thai boxing match end in a draw? Is every person in the Army a general. Are there no people in Thai prisons? Does every legal action in Thailand not have a winner? ...........

Edited by thailiketoo