30 day on arrival........ can I extend that at the airport?

Friend arriving on 30 day exempt visa from Oz. He's Irish. He may want to stay longer than that. Options please?

Can he extend that at the airport? Baby on the way but not for another month and a half. Wants to get married also in the near future.

Thanks guys. He arrives on Saturday this week. wai.gif

Best plan would to get a tourist visa before leaving home.

If however your friend wishes to extend a 30 day visa exempt entry the most he will be given is 7 days during which he will have to leave Thailand. Application is made at a local immigration office (not the airport) and the cost is 1900 Bht

If however your friend wishes to extend a 30 day visa exempt entry the most he will be given is 7 days during which he will have to leave Thailand. Application is made at a local immigration office (not the airport) and the cost is 1900 Bht

Ok thanks. So he will need to fly out, yes? where is the best place to go for a double tourist visa please?

He intends to apply for his non O marriage at some point. Also he will have a kid soon, so what is the best visa to get for supporting his kid if he decides not to get married just yet?

Thanks in advance.

No time, leaves on Saturday this week. Last minute decision and all that. Thanks.

"Also he will have a kid soon, so what is the best visa to get for supporting his kid if he decides not to get married just yet?"

If not married or in possession of court generated "legalisation" papers there is no "visa" I know of that would permit your friend an extended stay on the basis of having a baby.

I may of course be wrong if so someone will quickly correct this post !

I think that Ozzie's can get 30-day admissions by doing border runs. There is a huge amount of information about border runs on TV so please search in the appropriate forum on "border runs."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think that Ozzie's can get 30-day admissions by doing border runs. There is a huge amount of information about border runs on TV so please search in the appropriate forum on "border runs."

Last time I looked Australia was not a G7 country so it is only 15 days for Australians !

If he is going to get married, when will he do it? If he does it within the 30 day window of his visa exempt entry, he can apply for a 60 day extension for visiting his wife, 1900 baht at the local office. It has to be a "legal" marriage, (affirmation to marry from his embassy legalized by MFA and offical documentation from the Amphur, Kor Ror 3) not a village shindig! OZ citizens only get 15 days visa exempt by land.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Last time I looked Australia was not a G7 country so it is only 15 days for Australians !

No, only if you fly, other boarder crossings are 15 days, thank Thaskin for that

For OZ , 30 day only if you fly , other boarder crossings are 15 days , thank Thaskin for that.

For OZ , 30 day only if you fly , other boarder crossings are 15 days , thank Thaskin for that.

Police order 778/2251 that changed border crossing visa exempt entries to 15 days and eliminated the 90 days in 180 days rule was signed on November 25, 2008. You can't blame that on him.

policy778-2551_en.pdf

• Like 2

fyi: there are some REALLY cheap air asia tickets available atm for that period. if he comes exempt (30 day on arrival) and buys one of these cheapo tickets he will get anothet 30 days exempt (airport). cheaper than buying double TR visas (when u add the trip to let's say Laos).

fyi: there are some REALLY cheap air asia tickets available atm for that period. if he comes exempt (30 day on arrival) and buys one of these cheapo tickets he will get anothet 30 days exempt (airport). cheaper than buying double TR visas (when u add the trip to let's say Laos).

OK but he still has to take the cheapo flight out of the country and then return for the additional 30 days, right?

Hi. A lot of posters won't agree with me. I travel in Thailand 4-5 months of the year, for the past 12 years. Three times a year with trips varying from 1-3 months.

I have often stayed 2 months and more on a 30 day on arrival.

There are risks involved. I have never witnessed it. And never even been asked why I have so many overstays.

If you have overstayed and for some reason or other the police want to see your passport (eg been on a jetski in Phuket (which means it will have been in an accident) then - yes you have problems including arrest and deportation.

When I have the time (ie I need not to need my passport for 3 weeks to get visa done - I get a non Im o visa. That covered me for up to 90 days at a time.

An overstay is not always just a formality. But it has been for me. You pay 500baht a day. I am currently overstayed by 4 days ( leaving tomorrow) in sept I overstayed 14

I have done it twice a year for last 4years. Not even an eyebrow raised.

You will get the same terms as we get (Irish)

30 days on entry and extend by 15 at tourist police.

Then overstay. It's what I do. Dress well. And act polite. It probably helps that I'm flying biz class. But don't know that it does.

Let the mocking of my post begin.

Might I suggest you start with the fact that I'm a relatively new member and that this is my first post.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by getthaid
  • Like 1

Never an eyebrow raised as long as get to departure place, & correct no black stamp, just take monies & give you a recept with a smile.

BUT, if should get stopped in an immigration check on the street, can be in a spot of bother, I have seen both an American & a Frenchman

both less than 10 days overstay get dragged off from Sukhumvit Soi 11

Man, what a hassle some of you guys go through! (I gripe about getting older but there's an advantage in Thailand of being 50+ and retired...) ----regarding the off topic comment re: boarding refusal hold 1-way tickets. I fly to Thailand all the time fro the US on EVA Air and was told I needed to show an exit out of Thailand on my initial move here (I just bought a refundable $80 flight to Kuala Lumpur). Now I'm armed with the so-called "retirement" visa and show my Thai driver's licenses quickly proving I live here (I noticed how foreign airlines employees can't always identify visa stamps--- a DL gets the point across faster at the gate).

My first reply too.

When I went through immigration to return home from the airport in Bangkok a year ago. There was an office just beyond immigration on the right, that had a note about overstays. I asked them what it was all about. They told me that they assessed charges and collected them so people could proceed home. I don't know remember the rules but 500B a day sounds right. It looked like a straightforward deal. But you never know from time to time when you visit.

A few years back. I was got a certificate of residence to buy a bike. And the next time I checked (for a new bike), I found that the office in Phuket had moved and the rules seemed to be different. So don't trust that things will be smooth with overstay rules. I'm getting a tourist visa because It occurred to me that I was staying over 30 days this time and I am not planning a side trip.

Good luck with the situation.

Hi. A lot of posters won't agree with me. I travel in Thailand 4-5 months of the year, for the past 12 years. Three times a year with trips varying from 1-3 months.

There are risks involved. I have never witnessed it. And never even been asked why I have so many overstays.

If you have overstayed and for some reason or other the police want to see your passport (eg been on a jetski in Phuket (which means it will have been in an accident) then - yes you have problems including arrest and deportation.

When I have the time (ie I need not to need my passport for 3 weeks to get visa done - I get a non Im o visa. That covered me for up to 90 days at a time.

An overstay is not always just a formality. But it has been for me. You pay 500baht a day. I am currently overstayed by 4 days ( leaving tomorrow) in sept I overstayed 14

Then overstay. It's what I do. Dress well. And act polite. It probably helps that I'm flying biz class. But don't know that it does.

Might I suggest you start with the fact that I'm a relatively new member and that this is my first post.

Cheers

Tool,your time will come.

Edited by louse1953

<snipped>

<snipped>

Completely wrong information. Tourist police can't give any extension, but you probably mean Immigration police. Additionally, a 30 day visa exempt entry can't be extended for 15 days, as others have mentioned the maximum possible extension is 7 days (unless you have a Thai wife or child).

Sophon

Cheers

Welcome and congratulations on your posts. The information will help many.

Cheers

Welcome and congratulations on your posts. The information will help many.

Thank you. I appreciate it!