Eleven Thais make Forbes' billionaires list

webfact

THAI BILLIONAIRES
Eleven Thais make Forbes' billionaires list

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Eleven Thais are on Forbes' 2014 billionaires list, led by Charoen Pokphand Group's Dhanin Chearavanont.

Ranked 97th among 1,645 people around the globe whose net worth this month exceeds US$1 billion, Dhanin is the richest Thai with net worth of $11.4 billion (Bt370 billion). Last year, he was ranked 58th with net worth of $14.3 billion - which was the highest level since 2009 when he first joined the ranking.

Also on the list are Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, Vanich Chaiyawan, Krit Ratanarak, Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth and Keeree Kanjanapas. The magazine also put Thaksin Shinawatra and family on the list, with net worth of $1.6 billion. It said that "ousted in a 2006 coup, Thaksin managed to recover close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets".

The rest are Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, Surin Upatkoon and Thongma Vijitpongpun. Aloke Lohia, chief of Indorama Ventures, was the last on the list with net worth of $1.1 billion.

Globally, Bill Gates is back on top after a four-year hiatus, reclaiming the title of world's richest person from telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu of Mexico. Gates saw his fortune rise by $9 billion in the past year to $76 billion.

Forbes found 1,645 billionaires with an aggregate net worth of $6.4 trillion, up from $5.4 trillion a year ago. Among them, 268 were new 10-figure fortunes, including 42 new female billionaires, another record. In total, there are 172 women on the list, more than ever before and up from 138 last year.

Thanks to the technology boom and strong stock market, the United States once again leads the world with 492 billionaires, followed by China with 152 and Russia with 111. But wealth is spreading to new places. Forbes found billionaires for the first time in Algeria, Lithuania, Tanzania and Uganda.

Thai billionaires
Name net worth (US$ bn)

Dhanin Chearavanont 11.4

Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi 9

Vanich Chaiyawan 3.65

Krit Ratanarak 2.8

Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth 1.75

Thaksin Shinawatra & family 1.6

Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha 1.5

Keeree Kanjanapas 1.35

Surin Upatkoon 1.3

Thongma Vijitpongpun 1.15

Aloke Lohia 1.1

Source: Forbes magazine

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-05

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Huge mistake! I do not see my wife's name on that list. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I owe 4billion do I count

No, but you become very powerful. There is an old saying in business, when the debt is small the banks own you, when the debt becomes huge you own the banks. They will do anything not to loose their money.

"Hey, go get this guy Thaksin, or I think I will go broke.."

"Yassuh"

The problem is how to loose your first billions.

This list rather gives a lie to the financial omnipotence of the Shinawatra family that some people peddle on this forum. comparatively small fry.

mostly ethnic Chinese, mostly desperately anxious to cling on to their fortunes and happily funding the PDRC. The richest: Dhanin Chearavanont owns CP foods of which Mr. Abhisit's father is or was until recently a director, which starts to illustrate how these people are interconnected.

I think it would be unusual in any country to find businessmen who have no political views. It's more about what they do about them and the manner in which they do it. You may have a point in the case but I don't know enough about that.

Thaksin managed to recover close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets".

Is this the money taken by the Thai courts? If so how did he get it back?

and they all married/son/cousin and blood connect them some how, even the big guns fighting between them now, are all cousin and such, but they can put a great show,for the mass, to fulfill the TV time, and move the problems some where else, you create a problem, and then you give the solution, in normal time, everybody would laugh at, but when they propose it is very well welcome.

Basic Marketing, nothing new....

Interesting because I posted Thailand richest man based on last years 14.3 billion, and noted his net worth increased from 2.8 billion to 14.3 billion in just two short years a 600% rise and no one blinks an eye.

Was a result of a post that mentioned that Thaksin wealth increased by 450%, which again was some anti -government misrepresentation of facts as they realistically exist!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

This list rather gives a lie to the financial omnipotence of the Shinawatra family that some people peddle on this forum. comparatively small fry.

mostly ethnic Chinese, mostly desperately anxious to cling on to their fortunes and happily funding the PDRC. The richest: Dhanin Chearavanont owns CP foods of which Mr. Abhisit's father is or was until recently a director, which starts to illustrate how these people are interconnected.

I think it would be unusual in any country to find businessmen who have no political views. It's more about what they do about them and the manner in which they do it. You may have a point in the case but I don't know enough about that.

Thaksin managed to recover close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets".

He told Forbes that the money was returned to him by the Govt relatively recently. I have seen NO other reports of this however and of course the Govt won't admit to it.

He told Forbes that the money was returned to him by the Govt relatively recently. I have seen NO other reports of this however and of course the Govt won't admit to it.

He had the interview in October - just before the amnesty bill debacle. I think he was so sure of the result that he got ahead of himself and disclosed this sensitive information. Just being his usual arrogant self.

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting because I posted Thailand richest man based on last years 14.3 billion, and noted his net worth increased from 2.8 billion to 14.3 billion in just two short years a 600% rise and no one blinks an eye.

Was a result of a post that mentioned that Thaksin wealth increased by 450%, which again was some anti -government misrepresentation of facts as they realistically exist!

Cheers

It could be because all your information is verifiably wrong and heavily slanted in favor of defending Thaksin.

According to the current Forbes page.

1) Thaksin's visible fortune increased a whopping 280% in a single shot just last March.

2) From September 2010 to March 2013 his fortune did increase 435.879%.

Your other information is also wrong, but it gets tiring to correct it all.

• Like 1

Cheers

Which has been proven by other posters several times already to be a big red lie of course, because everyone with a internet connection can find out from the Forbes website that it took him 5 years to go from 2.8 to 14.3 Billion

Mongrels then ??????

More imortantly who has thwe rest and how much has been spent

More imortantly who has thwe rest and how much has been spent