Satish Sehgal faces deportation now

webfact

Is he the publisher of Look East magazine? A glossy magazine aimed at tourists...a lot of it appears to be reviews and recommendations by 'celebrities' endorsing restaurants, products, shops...owned by other 'celebrities'.Indus restaurant seems to be well covered.. I guess tourists wouldn't know that.

He was. His son, Ravi Sehgal who is Thai and President of the Sehgal Group, is running the magazine publication business which was founded in 1971. They also publish the Thai Airways Timetable, and carry out high quality printing for many companies.

http://www.lookeastmagazine.com/

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel kinda sorry for him. He lived here all his life. So, although he might not officially be Thai, he feels and thinks like a Thai. You can't really blame somebody like that for wanting the best for Thailand. He probably believed supporting Suthep was the best for Thailand.

He should have know after the first rumors he should back off. In stead he chose to go on stage again. That was stupid.

The real victims of this political game are children, normal people and businessmen - like him.

They are just used as tools in an extremely dirty game.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good to see all foreigners being treated equally and no special treatment just because you are His so. The fool now joins the fools from Australia and England who got involved in demos and got deported.

This person has been in thailand all his life but not a citizen. Obviously bears no loyalty to the country keeps indian citizenship probably to get benefits while leeching off thailand.

If necessary, I hope he has a great holiday in India. I'm sure the next government will welcome him back with open arms as they will need all the taxpayers they can get to fill PTP's financial black hole.

With a bit of luck he will be able to visit Chalerm and Yingluk in prison, and enjoy a quiet cup of schadenfreude.

How do you know he's been paying his taxes?

You make sense here. Who the hell knows if he even paid any taxes i don't know why some ppl look at this guy and see him as some sort of shining beacon.

• Like 1

I feel kinda sorry for him. He lived here all his life. So, although he might not officially be Thai, he feels and thinks like a Thai. You can't really blame somebody like that for wanting the best for Thailand. He probably believed supporting Suthep was the best for Thailand.

He should have know after the first rumors he should back off. In stead he chose to go on stage again. That was stupid.

The real victims of this political game are children, normal people and businessmen - like him.

Let's ask this question. Why didn't he take up thai citizenship? It's plain obvious he saw no need to do that at all cos who knows he has links or what back in india and thinks it's best to retain indian citizenship.

You would be singing a different tune if say it was the US or any western country and someone who has lived in those countries for most of his life but isn't a citizen.

Good to see all foreigners being treated equally and no special treatment just because you are His so. The fool now joins the fools from Australia and England who got involved in demos and got deported.

This person has been in thailand all his life but not a citizen. Obviously bears no loyalty to the country keeps indian citizenship probably to get benefits while leeching off thailand.

You are aware of how difficult it is to get Thai citizenship?

kriswillems, on 06 Mar 2014 - 09:29, said:

I've got news for you, some businessmen are part of this "dirty game", they're not victims and nor is he. Who do you think is paying for sutheps ego rallies? It's not those donations from the streets.

Let's ask this question. Why didn't he take up thai citizenship? It's plain obvious he saw no need to do that at all cos who knows he has links or what back in india and thinks it's best to retain indian citizenship.

You would be singing a different tune if say it was the US or any western country and someone who has lived in those countries for most of his life but isn't a citizen.

In Europe we've foreigners living, with a permanent residence permit, that have done much worse things than this guy (think about armed robbery, rape, murder) and we don't even deport them and we're not allowed to do so by law.

So, no, if this guy would live in Europe and was involved in a similar protest, than would be no reason to deport him (and I also believe it shouldn't be).

However, I think in Europe he would be arrested and sent to court.

Edited by kriswillems

You are aware of how difficult it is to get Thai citizenship?

Not for someone like this. It was his for the asking. He chose not to take it.

I'm sure he'll be ok. He can sell his wedding options in person as he enjoys a comfortable life in the dynamic and welcoming metropolis of Delhi.

After more than 50 years in Thailand not holding Thai citizenship but "fighting" for a better future of the beloved country? Why not getting naturalized after such a long time which comes with the right to vote and form the future of the country democratically? I love to swim but I don't like to get wet? I know Indians and other nationalities with much lesser background having acquired Thai citizenship. blink.png

Edited by Richard Hall

Going after one Indian Thai taxpayer demonstrates how vindictive and subjective Thai law and its people are.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to be a Thai citizen to wear the rank of Indian-Thai. If you don't then I can proclaim myself to be an Australian-Thai

Sehgal petitions His Majesty the King to challenge deportation? This is a right that is good to know for foreigners who disagree with Thai immigration that they can personally go to the highest law of the Land for review.

Can someone track down the number of foreigners who have taken advantage of this amazing petitioning process, how many succeeded, and what their immigration issue was? I would have thought any appeal to the King might be made through one's embassy, and that foreigners would not be allowed to personally petition the King.

Going after one Indian Thai taxpayer demonstrates how vindictive and subjective Thai law and its people are.

You will find in many countries, when a foreigner involved in activities that violated the rights of other people and its citizen and political activities against a government, he would be either arrested or deported immediately.

To do all this now is again the stupidest thing that the cretaker governemetn can do.

Anything at this stage they do to supress people speaking is only going to make a martyr or rally cry out of it.

This government must be running out of feet and toes. every time the open their mouths they shoot themselves inthe foot again.

With court cases against the government to determine if they are allowed to do anything.

The fact that althought they are not allowed to borrow money they keep trying to devise a way to find gullible Thais.

Non violent removal of protestors

Chalerm and Yingluck

If and when this gets resolved and PT is victorious or the incoming government takes control then proceed with all the charges and actions.

It didn't make Martyrs out of the Aussie and Brits when they were deported by the Democrats for the same thing. People are only upset because the shoe is on the other foot.

Speaking of Indian Thais in Thailand, we never see any more news on Rakesh Saxena, the the bank market fixer who was extradited from Canada by Thailand. Last we saw in the newspaper , he was on oxygen in a wheelchair and is somewhere squirreled away in a Thai jail because he knows too many names. Why Canada agreed to extradite him after 13 years so that Thais could shake him down for his assets is bewildering. Canada should answer up on this questionable extradition and Thailand should answer up as to why they keep this old guy in poor health on ice in a Thai jail while they plunder his bank accounts.

• Like 2

To do all this now is again the stupidest thing that the cretaker governemetn can do.

Anything at this stage they do to supress people speaking is only going to make a martyr or rally cry out of it.

This government must be running out of feet and toes. every time the open their mouths they shoot themselves inthe foot again.

With court cases against the government to determine if they are allowed to do anything.

The fact that althought they are not allowed to borrow money they keep trying to devise a way to find gullible Thais.

Non violent removal of protestors

Chalerm and Yingluck

If and when this gets resolved and PT is victorious or the incoming government takes control then proceed with all the charges and actions.

It didn't make Martyrs out of the Aussie and Brits when they were deported by the Democrats for the same thing. People are only upset because the shoe is on the other foot.

They were considerably more obnoxious and not residents. The brit was filmed in a drunken rampage shouting that they were going to go burn down (I think it was) central world.

Thailand is recalcitrant when it comes to foreigners putting their opinions, giving advise, trying to help the country , except how to spend your money, it all revolves around when it suits them, however there are rules , to become carried away in a Thai political protest group, is both ill advised and dangerous, unless you are invited by the ruling Shinawatra's.bah.gif

It is true. In the UK the original points system for giving ILR to skilled immigrants proposed by the Brown government included points for immigrants' membership of a British political party on the basis that was necessary to show integration in and contribution to British society. I am not sure whether that ever went ahead but it does show a different attitude to foreigners' freedom of expression relative to Thailand where you are expected to keep your mouth shut.

Satish is probably negotiating a big pay off with Chalerm and Tarit right now. He made a choice not to become Thai and knew the risks he was taking as a foreigner by being a protest leader. He only has himself to blame for his troubles.

Most Thai Indians are more than happy to have Thai nationality because they live here. They can't keep an Indian passport but on payment of a fee they can get an INO sticker in their foreign passports which entitles them to PR, the right to work and the right to own land in India. The right can also be passed down to several generations and they can get full Indian nationality, if they surrender the other one. Satish was an idiot not to go that route.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

This move confirms that the ruling establishment in exile have no personal business interests in India. Shame Mr.Sehgal doesn't hold a Ugandan passport, I'd like to see the amart rouge try and deport him then.

Would it really matter even if he did/does have interests in India. When it comes to money/trade the actions and subsequent deportation of one man are hardly likely to hurt Thailand. So he held a prominent position in the Indian business community.....they appoint someone else and move on surely.

I guess because he had lived here for most of his life he assumed he'd get away with it, being a prominent member of the business community. Plus he had his buddy Suthep, what could go wrong?. I might even of done the same thing in his position, i understand why he did it, but it does not change the fact that fair warning was given. I hope Suthep stumps up the dough for an upgrade to business class........because it was him he was following.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If necessary, I hope he has a great holiday in India. I'm sure the next government will welcome him back with open arms as they will need all the taxpayers they can get to fill PTP's financial black hole.

With a bit of luck he will be able to visit Chalerm and Yingluk in prison, and enjoy a quiet cup of schadenfreude.

How do you know he's been paying his taxes?

How do you know he hasn't?

It's a pity they're not doing the same with Michael Yon!!

This man should have known and respected the laws of Thailand like Chalerm, Suthep and Yingluck, etc.

Good one!!!! I actually laughed out loud at this one. Well done!

Who's Michael Yon? I didn't get any hits on google.

• Like 2

He knew the law like any other Farang in Thailand, Foreigners are allowed to express their political opinion but taking part in an attempt to overthrow the government is not within their political rights!

For tee money all ready paid, would be considered as an act of corruption, the case is to high profile to be brought off by any amount of tea money, it is a warning to all farangs!

Cheers

He is not a farang according to TV's finest thai cultural experts please get your facts right, you will upset the old white gentlemen TV who have no wish to be put in the same category as a Indian, but of course they will go on to say they are not racist

• Like 1

Who's Michael Yon? I didn't get any hits on google.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I almost fell for that one, I see what you did there clap2.gifwink.png