Satish Sehgal faces deportation now

webfact

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After more than 50 years in Thailand not holding Thai citizenship but "fighting" for a better future of the beloved country? Why not getting naturalized after such a long time which comes with the right to vote and form the future of the country democratically? I love to swim but I don't like to get wet? I know Indians and other nationalities with much lesser background having acquired Thai citizenship. blink.png

This then begs the question what is his reason for doing so? It must be for benefits and his family or himself has links to india that he sees would be more beneficial to him to retain indian citizenship instead of becoming a thai. This guy isn't doing any of it for the simple fact of removing some dictatorship and aiding the ordinary thai people. His speaking out publicly probably would endear him even more to the thai elites and maybe the royalty that would provide him with even more benefits economic or political.

Don't ask what your country can do for you but ask instead what you can do for your country.

Shouldn't this be the first rule for anyone engaging in political activism, particularly if that person lives in a country of his or her free choice?

Otherwise, it may spring to mind that not love for the country but rather just personal benefits appear to be the driving force.

xWPFflags.gif.pagespeed.ic.52UL_9jJ74.pn

Edited by Richard Hall

If necessary, I hope he has a great holiday in India. I'm sure the next government will welcome him back with open arms as they will need all the taxpayers they can get to fill PTP's financial black hole.

With a bit of luck he will be able to visit Chalerm and Yingluk in prison, and enjoy a quiet cup of schadenfreude.

How do you know he's been paying his taxes?

Unless you live a very humble lifestyle, everybody resident in Thailand pays VAT.

As do most tourists. Probably more than the average. That doesn't confer any special contribution. If the logic for being treated as part of Thai society was paying taxes, I would be a regional governor by now. lol

fab4 post # 113

Yes the dastardly PTP will be sneaking around his house seeing if he's got some decent furniture worth "possessing"

Your corruption obsession is getting ridiculous.

In reality any assets he may have here are more than likely protected in some safe bank offshore, anything else, no doubt his 4 brothers and his dear old mum will fight over.

You really are an hilarious chappy .

Where did I mention or even infer that the P.T.P. would be diverting any of the mans presumed assets?

Nowhere. Seems as if your mindset is a trifle sensitive regarding the words corruption and you go into auto pilot to defend the P.T.P and the Shinwatra clique. Why should that I ask, do yu have shares in the Shinwatra empire?

As per usual in you rush and disengage what passes for your though process as you did earlier today concerning the price of rice as you think your Messiah Thaksin Shinwatra and his disciples are being blasphemed.

My obsession with corruption is getting ridiculous?

Well dear boy long before the internet and T.V.F. and no doubt your arrival here in Thailand (if you are actually here ) I like a good many others used to campaign in both English language newspapers concerning corruption and it didn't matter what political parties were involved..

• Like 1

What was happening over at the RBSC during the Thai alliance with Japan and occupation by Japan during WWII?

A fascinating subject.See William Warren's "Celebrating 100 Years" I'm sure the Club would show a copy to anyone with an interest.There's a photo in it of SS with fellow committee members!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

What was happening over at the RBSC during the Thai alliance with Japan and occupation by Japan during WWII?

The British, who had dominated the club since it was founded, and other allied nationals were interned by the Japanese and Mom Ratchada Pisek took over as the first Thai chairman. Ratchada moved that the memberships of the allied nationals should be permanently revoked and the motion was carried, despite a vociferous minority who argued they should be only temporarily suspended. After the war the internees were released and insisted that the cancellation of their memberships was unconstitutional. They won the motion and returned to the club. Ratchada was ousted as chairman and the British contingent managed to reclaim the chairmanship continuously until 1960 when the second Thai chairman was elected by the general committee. Since then the club has been dominated by Thais and there has never been another foreign chairman.

The British Club on Silom Road was taken over as the Japanese military HQ. A released member went to the club to see what was going on and was confronted by a Japanese officer with drawn sword on the stairs but fortunately they managed to sort things out amicably. Since the club had mortgaged the property before the war to Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank which was taken over temporarily by German bankers, the title deeds survived intact and were redeemed from the bank after the war. Most of the club's records, however, were unfortunately destroyed by the Japanese.

What happened? Did he get deported?

No. He filed a case in the Central Administrative Court (like Thawil did) and the Civil Court granted an injunction against his deportation order (signed by Chalerm) pending the outcome in the admin court. That was apparently exactly what Immigration warned Chalerm would happen and why the Immigration chief didn't want to sign the order himself.

• Like 1

He knew the law like any other Farang in Thailand, Foreigners are allowed to express their political opinion but taking part in an attempt to overthrow the government is not within their political rights!

For tee money all ready paid, would be considered as an act of corruption, the case is to high profile to be brought off by any amount of tea money, it is a warning to all farangs!

Cheers

And I thought the Constitutional Court had ruled that the demonstration was legal and peaceful.

But you are right Kikoman, it is a warning to all: dissenting opinions will not be tolerated. Shut up or get shot or deported!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The British, who had dominated the club since it was founded, and other allied nationals were interned by the Japanese and Mom Ratchada Pisek took over as the first Thai chairman. Ratchada moved that the memberships of the allied nationals should be permanently revoked and the motion was carried, despite a vociferous minority who argued they should be only temporarily suspended. After the war the internees were released and insisted that the cancellation of their memberships was unconstitutional. They won the motion and returned to the club. Ratchada was ousted as chairman and the British contingent managed to reclaim the chairmanship continuously until 1960 when the second Thai chairman was elected by the general committee. Since then the club has been dominated by Thais and there has never been another foreign chairman.

The British Club on Silom Road was taken over as the Japanese military HQ. A released member went to the club to see what was going on and was confronted by a Japanese officer with drawn sword on the stairs but fortunately they managed to sort things out amicably. Since the club had mortgaged the property before the war to Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank which was taken over temporarily by German bankers, the title deeds survived intact and were redeemed from the bank after the war. Most of the club's records, however, were unfortunately destroyed by the Japanese.

To be fair, and I accept you are not suggesting otherwise, I don't think there would have been any objection in 1960 on the part of British members to the Thai membership taking over the key positions.One of the rather attractive aspects of the British expatriate community in the old days was a relative absence of the racism that could be found in Malaysia and India.Part of this lay in the different character of the British community then which if not exactly upper class was devoid of the lower middle class prejudices and was able to recognise gentlemanly characteristics in the Thais they came across in business and in social life.Many of their Thai friends if they had not attended decent English public schools and Oxbridge had the natural grace, charm and good manners that is associated with the Thai upper class.Perhaps less significantly many (I suspect a majority) of the British residents had a Thai girl or boy tucked away which provided a natural sympathy for Thais ways and customs.

• Like 1

To be fair, and I accept you are not suggesting otherwise, I don't think there would have been any objection in 1960 on the part of British members to the Thai membership taking over the key positions.One of the rather attractive aspects of the British expatriate community in the old days was a relative absence of the racism that could be found in Malaysia and India.Part of this lay in the different character of the British community then which if not exactly upper class was devoid of the lower middle class prejudices and was able to recognise gentlemanly characteristics in the Thais they came across in business and in social life.Many of their Thai friends if they had not attended decent English public schools and Oxbridge had the natural grace, charm and good manners that is associated with the Thai upper class.Perhaps less significantly many (I suspect a majority) of the British residents had a Thai girl or boy tucked away which provided a natural sympathy for Thais ways and customs.

The British presence in Thailand was simply an extension of their colonial presence in the rest of Asia. Trading companies and banks like Hong Kong and Shanghai and The Chartered Bank (now Stanchart) opened branches in Thailand to complete their regional networks. Nothing of consequence was manufacturered in Asia, so European exports of industrial and consumer goods were very important. In reverse there were Thai commodities to be exported like teak and rice, not to mention British shipping companies etc. As the colonial presence in the rest of Asia declined, so did the British commercial presence in Thailand. Previously the British were the dominate group in the club's membership but by 1960 the Thai membership had probably overtaken the European membership leading to the election of a Thai chairman.

Originally there were very few Thai members who were all of a noble disposition who regarded it as a British style club that they were happy to join as a privileged minority but had no interest in trying to run. They were probably even more keen than the British to keep it exclusive which in the pre-war days certainly meant keeping out the Chinese, except as club servants. In the old club photographs you certainly don't see any Chinese features amongst the members. This obviously changed sometime after the Second World War and perhaps by the early 60s.

Realistically the British and other foreigners had no choice but to accept the Thai nobility into the club was on royal land and obviously had no problem with the manners and English language skills of the noble Thai members. In the end it was simply a game of numbers as the European membership declined relative to the Thai membership. I don't really think playing around with Thai boys or girls made that much difference to the British perception of the culture. This was commonplace in most of the colonies too but didn't necessarily encourage greater respect for their cultures.

• Like 1

Going back to Satish I wonder if he will cite double standards, if the government doesn't blacklist Robert Amsterdam for appearing on the red shirt stage via Skype.

not really the same as Amsterdam's firm is the legal advisor to several PTP hierarchy

Satish is just another non-Thai meddling in things not his concern - some 'red' farangs were booted out a few years back for meddling and that is a better correlation I would say

The British presence in Thailand was simply an extension of their colonial presence in the rest of Asia. Trading companies and banks like Hong Kong and Shanghai and The Chartered Bank (now Stanchart) opened branches in Thailand to complete their regional networks. Nothing of consequence was manufacturered in Asia, so European exports of industrial and consumer goods were very important. In reverse there were Thai commodities to be exported like teak and rice, not to mention British shipping companies etc. As the colonial presence in the rest of Asia declined, so did the British commercial presence in Thailand. Previously the British were the dominate group in the club's membership but by 1960 the Thai membership had probably overtaken the European membership leading to the election of a Thai chairman.

Originally there were very few Thai members who were all of a noble disposition who regarded it as a British style club that they were happy to join as a privileged minority but had no interest in trying to run. They were probably even more keen than the British to keep it exclusive which in the pre-war days certainly meant keeping out the Chinese, except as club servants. In the old club photographs you certainly don't see any Chinese features amongst the members. This obviously changed sometime after the Second World War and perhaps by the early 60s.

Realistically the British and other foreigners had no choice but to accept the Thai nobility into the club was on royal land and obviously had no problem with the manners and English language skills of the noble Thai members. In the end it was simply a game of numbers as the European membership declined relative to the Thai membership. I don't really think playing around with Thai boys or girls made that much difference to the British perception of the culture. This was commonplace in most of the colonies too but didn't necessarily encourage greater respect for their cultures.

There was a difference between the relations (ie they were generally better) between the British and the Thais compared say with the position in Malaysia or (earlier on) Burma.My reference to the usefulness of concubines was facetious but it does contain a grain of truth.The change in the proportion of Thais and foreigners in the Club was certainly due to the factors you mention but also because of the decline of long term expatriate postings.The Chinese aspect is interesting and I suspect that there was more admixture than often maintained.Of course there was a social gap between the relatively recent arrivals from Southern China and the long established grandees.That's a distinction that still exists though less obviously.

Oh dear - very off topic

There was a difference between the relations (ie they were generally better) between the British and the Thais compared say with the position in Malaysia or (earlier on) Burma.My reference to the usefulness of concubines was facetious but it does contain a grain of truth.The change in the proportion of Thais and foreigners in the Club was certainly due to the factors you mention but also because of the decline of long term expatriate postings.The Chinese aspect is interesting and I suspect that there was more admixture than often maintained.Of course there was a social gap between the relatively recent arrivals from Southern China and the long established grandees.That's a distinction that still exists though less obviously.

Oh dear - very off topic

Relations were different because the Thais owned the place. If Thailand had become a European colony the British or French would have treated them the same as the people in their other Asian colonies. The British would have imported a lot of Indians, as they did in Burma and some African colonies. The Siamese preferred to import Chinese labour because they could not claim British or French nationality and thereby have immunity from Siamese laws and special rights to own land etc.

Getting back on topic, Satish came anyway and may have benefitted from the non-Thai quota on the GC of RBSC by remaining Indian.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Robert Amsterdam's appearance on the red shirt stage has any implications for the case against Satish. Has the caretaker government now decided that foreigners should be encouraged to express their views on Thai policitics and the lese majeste law at political rallies?

• Like 2

I wonder if Robert Amsterdam's appearance on the red shirt stage has any implications for the case against Satish. Has the caretaker government now decided that foreigners should be encouraged to express their views on Thai policitics and the lese majeste law at political rallies?

I didn't know Robert Amsterdam had permanent residence like Satish nor that he was taking part in illegal activities against an elected government like Satish.Presumably RA has a valid visa and if he infringes its conditions he may not be issued with another one.I don't think there is a ban on foreigners expressing views on Thai politics including LM.I don't think Satish has been banned from the country (in the unlikely event he is ever actually deported) and is presumably able to apply for a visa whenever he likes.He can get a reduced subscription to the RBSC as an absentee member, one unanticipated bonus for him.Personally I think the whole episode was a joke and the government made a fool of itself.The old booby should be allowed to stay though his comments on his fate have been enough to make normal person retch.

Going back to Satish I wonder if he will cite double standards, if the government doesn't blacklist Robert Amsterdam for appearing on the red shirt stage via Skype.

not really the same as Amsterdam's firm is the legal advisor to several PTP hierarchy

Satish is just another non-Thai meddling in things not his concern - some 'red' farangs were booted out a few years back for meddling and that is a better correlation I would say

Presume Amsterdam would have needed a work permit then as you tell us he was there as part of his employment.

There is no comparison between Amsterdam who has done nothing but foster hatred and division in this country with his statements and writings and Satish who has advised many Thai Govts on trade with India and led Thai trade delegations to India.

• Like 1

Presume Amsterdam would have needed a work permit then as you tell us he was there as part of his employment.

There is no comparison between Amsterdam who has done nothing but foster hatred and division in this country with his statements and writings and Satish who has advised many Thai Govts on trade with India and led Thai trade delegations to India.

Or to put it another way a highly intelligent and committed lawyer with an excellent record in human rights work cannot be compared with an amiable but daft old geezer.

The reaction to Robert Amsterdam often contains bile and occasonally sometimes anti semitism - but actually the reason for the hate is that he is a genuine democrat, casts light on hidden areas and doesn't give a rat's arse for Thailand's self appointed "good people,"

I do have some reservations about RA but I also object to the mindless hate that crops up whenever his name is mentioned.Attack his arguments by all means.

" Or to put it another way a highly intelligent and committed lawyer with an excellent record in human rights work "

Ummm don't know much about him and I don't really like him. According to his wiki I can't see to much of the above. I see him working for extremely rich individuals and companies!

PS : if Amsterdam is on stage talking then he is working and in breach of his visa without a valid work permit!

Would be interesting to see immigration treat him the same as the illegal workers in the rest of the kingdom.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Amsterdam

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Nicely propagandist.

Well done !!

The Lawyers Council of Thailand raised that very same issue today and are asking the Labor Ministry to clarify if Amsterdam had entered the country on a tourist visa or had obtained a proper work permit with a non-immigrant visa.

Edited by valvenus

chainarong, on 06 Mar 2014 - 08:02, said:

Thailand is recalcitrant when it comes to foreigners putting their opinions, giving advise, trying to help the country , except how to spend your money, it all revolves around when it suits them, however there are rules , to become carried away in a Thai political protest group, is both ill advised and dangerous, unless you are invited by the ruling Shinawatra's.bah.gif

Hope you feel better after your virtual retch.

Now perhaps you can help me, just who did you have in mind that broke immigration laws, espoused their political views on a public stage and through the media, and was personally invited by the Shinawatra family to do so?

No one comes to mind immediately,...................was it the Pope?

Robert Amsterdam?

• Like 1