Extension of stay based on income of Thai spouse

As there is only one nearby place left to get a NON O visa I am thinking of getting an extension of stay. My visa already expired and I am due to leave the country by 3rd of April, when my last 90 days are over. So I am not even sure if I can get an extension or if I have to leave the country first, get 90 days and than apply for the extension.

As I currently don't have the 400k in my account and am not employed in Thailand I can't prove the required money for the extension. However, my Thai wife has a salary of over 40k per month. Somewhere I read that for the extension of stay it is a family income of more than 40k per month that is required.

Would it be possible to get an extension of stay based on my wifes income?

If anyone can jump in to explain would be great.

Joint income was allowed until November 2008, now it has to be the husbands income.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Proof of family relationship
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.
(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

You can get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife.

You could make a trip to Savannakhet Laos for a new multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with no financial proof needed if you can't qualify for the one year extension.

You could make a trip to Savannakhet Laos for a new multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with no financial proof needed if you can't qualify for the one year extension.

Since the first time around you only need 2 months seasoning, that 60 days would give him time to collect the 400,000 and season it if he hurries.

"400,000 in a Thai bank account in your name or a personal income of 40,000/moth certified by your Embassy."

"No other options -Sorry."

Or, money earned in Thailand can be verified with tax records.

"Income of a Thai Spouse? Is this a joke?"

I don't think he was joking. He knew that the rules used to allow that, but didn't know they had changed.

Did you?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"400,000 in a Thai bank account in your name or a personal income of 40,000/moth certified by your Embassy."

I don't think he was joking. He knew that the rules used to allow that, but didn't know they had changed.

Did you?

As the OP claims to not be working money earned in Thailand does not enter the equation !

Yes I knew that a wife's income could not be used for securing an extension ! Always best to keep up to date its 6-7 years ago that the rule changed!

Edited by thepool

get a 60 day wife extension at the end of you current permission to stay , and then explore the options open to you, but as at post 5 above( who always gives good advice) a multi entry would seem to be the best way forward, which would give you nearly 15 months here, with a border run every 90 days.

Since the first time around you only need 2 months seasoning, that 60 days would give him time to collect the 400,000 and season it if he hurries.

It is 2 months on every application, not just the first.

"As the OP claims to not be working money earned in Thailand does not enter the equation !"

My OR option was directed to all for info because of the words. 'No other options- Sorry." Not everyone reading this topic will know about that. Didn't want people to think that there weren't other options, depending on their circumstances, obviously.

"Yes I knew that a wife's income could not be used for securing an extension ! Always best to keep up to date its 6-7 years ago that the rule changed!"

My response was to another poster.

No good reason to not mention bad info when it pops up. Again, not everyone reading this topic will know about all changes that have been made. Bad info comes from many places, including bar stool talk as well as out of date web sites.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did you?

As the OP claims to not be working money earned in Thailand does not enter the equation !

Yes I knew that a wife's income could not be used for securing an extension ! Always best to keep up to date its 6-7 years ago that the rule changed!

First of all thank you to everone who gave me good advise.

No I was not joking. I am fortunate enough to have a wife who earns a decent salary.

I have not been aware of the change in the rules as I never applied for extension of stay.

The last 5 or 6 years I was travelling for business so frequently that there was no need for an extension as I basically did a visa run 2-3 times per month. And once a year I flew to my home country Germany where you do not need any documents beside your passport and the marriage certificate to get a 1 year NON O with multiple entry. Before that I was on a NON B visa which I got without problems in Singapore or KL.

It is just now that I am considering to get an extension as I don't travel that much anymore and don't want to fly to Germany.

As said your only option to get the one year extension of stay is to have 400k baht in the bank for 60 days in your name only unless you can prove your own income of 40K baht.

As I wrote earlier you can get a multiple entry non-o in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

• Like 1

Actually the rule has been foreign male spouse income except for a short 2 year period on the previous immigration notice that allowed family income. It has returned to being male foreign spouse income/savings. There has never been a requirement for female foreign spouse.

Actually the rule has been foreign male spouse income except for a short 2 year period on the previous immigration notice that allowed family income. It has returned to being male foreign spouse income/savings. There has never been a requirement for female foreign spouse.

Nice to know equality is alive and well in Thailand wink.png - Not!

Nice to know equality is alive and well in Thailand wink.png - Not!

Believe the rule was effectively being rorted with people filing false tax returns and then voluntarily paying tax on it which was always going to be cheaper than money in the bank, which is probably why the rule was moved back.

Having said that, legit marriages should be subject to this kind of stuff.

Believe the rule was effectively being rorted with people filing false tax returns and then voluntarily paying tax on it which was always going to be cheaper than money in the bank, which is probably why the rule was moved back.

Is that true or is it just what you imagine happened?

If someone can't come up with 400k cash, or some kind of income then last thing they would be doing is forfeiting money they don't have to the tax department for fictitious income.

If someone can't come up with 400k cash, or some kind of income then last thing they would be doing is forfeiting money they don't have to the tax department for fictitious income.

It was done by several people when they allowed joint income or income of the wife only. It is suspected that was the reason for the change.

If you look at the taxes on 480k baht income with allowed deductions taken out of the gross income it would be a small amount of money to spend in order to get an extension.

I imagined it ;)

Saw some reports on TV at the time. Tax payments were much less than the needed money in the bank....and it was combined income.

I imagined it wink.png

Saw some reports on TV at the time. Tax payments were much less than the needed money in the bank....and it was combined income.

By my calculation, without any deductions at all, the most income tax a couple would pay on a combined income of THB40K/month is THB375/month each.

The couple would almost certainly qualify for some deductions so it would likely be even less than that.