SIM topup validity of 1 year now possible

sfokevin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the minimum top-up amount is 10 baht, so for 120 you could accumulate 360 days. FWIW, they may still have some usage requirements?

My current TrueMove H pre-paid SIM has a 60 day rolling expiry based on activity (outgoing call, sent SMS, top-up).

I haven't seen any news (yet) from the NBTC or DTAC or AIS but maybe this is coming soon? The NBTC had wanted operators to totally eliminate expiration dates, but of course that is not feasible. Maybe this is some sort of compromise, reverting back to the way things were in the concession era?

Why not have extended validity based on how long the user has held onto the sim? Once it has been activated for over 12 months + 1000 baht worth of top ups can then be eligible for 365 day validity.

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).

I would assume if you have had a sim for a long period the vilidity rules have been grandfathered in... I dont think any new sim has such a long validity...

Not necessarily grandfathered

There have been some quiet changes in the way that DTAC increases SIM validity which I really don't understand. When I used to top up 100 Baht to my DTAC account it always extended the validity by 90 days, but recently it has started to only give 30 days increased validity for 100 Baht. Fortunately the work around, as mentioned above, is to contact them directly at either a DTAC shop or via Call Center and they will extend the validity of your DTAC SIM by one year for 20 Baht

There is a complicated chart that shows the validity of the various DTAC SIMS versus refill amounts here:

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/Express-Refill.html

Just got the same message I guess.

ตั้งแต่ 18มี.ค.57 ทรูมูฟเอชขอเปลี่ยนแปลงการได้รับวันใช้งานซิมแบบเติมเงินจากการโทรออก ส่งSMS/MMS เล่นเน็ต เป็นได้รับวันใช้งานเพิ่มขั้นต่ำ 30วันทุกครั้งเมื่อเติมและสะสมวันได้สูงสุด 365วัน ตามมติ กสทช.(วันใช้งานคงเหลือก่อน 18มี.ค.57 จะยังคงเดิม)เพิ่มเติม www.truemove-h.com/topupbase

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

DTAC still offers both rolling and cumulative expiries, on both DTAC and DTN, in addition to the Day Giveaway service. It really depends on the type of SIM, and/or current promotion/plan attached to the SIM/account/number. They also offer a SIM which never expiries, as long as you use it at least once every ~ 42 days.

AIS appears to have 'grandfathered' cumulative expiries even on transitioned AWN SIMs. Currently a new AWN SIM appears to still have a rolling expiry, which may be capped at 60 days.

Most TrueMove H SIMs I am familiar with have a 30 or 60 day rolling expiry, including the new TM-H Tourist Inter SIMs, but it sounds like that may transition to cumulative on 18 March. The 'old' TrueMove (GSM1800) may cease to exist on 15 Sep 2014?

I have not received any notification from TrueMove H.

You may end up paying more per minute of voice time, with more generous expiries so best to review the promotion to make sure it meets your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
Most TrueMove H SIMs I am familiar with have a 30 or 60 day rolling expiry, including the new TM-H Tourist Inter SIMs, but it sounds like that may transition to cumulative on 18 March. The 'old' TrueMove (GSM1800) may cease to exist on 15 Sep 2014?

I have not received any notification from TrueMove H.

I made a call earlier today expecting to have 60 days added to my TrueH validity, but the validity hasnt changed at all and is now due to expire in 4 days. I have received no messages from True about this in any language I can understand.

Studying the terms on their website (now apparently with no English translation at all) I see that the minimum top-up is 10B which gives a validity extension of 30 days, but I wonder if this is available at 7/11s or only at True shops?

Either way I will be paying 10B this month and then seeing about porting my number to another provider that has a better way of calculating validity. I am particularly annoyed that they should change the rules without giving any indication that they have done so.

KK I feel your pain but why expect a company like True to have any ethics or friendly customer service.

Just look at the take or leave it attitude of True Visions or True Internet. A true Thai company that treats it's customers like the government treats it's citizens......with unbridled arrogance

I made a call earlier today expecting to have 60 days added to my TrueH validity, but the validity hasnt changed at all and is now due to expire in 4 days.

You completed an out-going call for > ~ 6 sec.? Waited ~ 30 minutes? Checked with #123#? and the validity did not change to 60 days as it has previously? That procedure still works for me. Maybe they've switched you over to this new format? Add 10 baht, see what happens, then maybe add another 10 baht in a day or two to see if it moves out to ~ 120 days?

I've had 12 months validity on my 12Call SIM for ages, possibly since I got it in 2004

This is a result of accumulated, rather than rolling expiry. Have you transitioned to AWN (AIS 2100) yet? Some have reported continuing this method even after the transition, while others have reverted to a 60 day rolling expiry. Obviously any new SIM will have the new, 60 day max. rolling expiry.

Edited by lomatopo

I made a call earlier today expecting to have 60 days added to my TrueH validity, but the validity hasnt changed at all and is now due to expire in 4 days.

You completed an out-going call for > ~ 6 sec.? Waited ~ 30 minutes? Checked with #123#? and the validity did not change to 60 days as it has previously? That procedure still works for me. Maybe they've switched you over to this new format? Add 10 baht, see what happens, then maybe add another 10 baht in a day or two to see if it moves out to ~ 120 days?

I made my regular outgoing call to my own UK VOIP number lasting a couple of seconds. I was billed for it instantly according to the True iService app on my phone but the validity didnt change. It still hasnt changed.

What I dont know is if 7/11 will do 10B top-ups or whether I have to do it via some other channel. The True website gives a lot of info (in Thai) about the various channels for topping up here http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/topup?ln=en and only one or two of them seem to allow top-ups of 10B, like this one http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/topup/channel/entry/2942?ln=en but they dont explain what the channel actually is and how you can use it. Other channels seem to have a minimum top-up of 30B.

True iService app on my phone but the validity didnt change. It still hasnt changed.

What about #123#?

IME, the iService app takes a long, long, long time to update the expiry, not sure why. I would not rely on that, but rather on #123#.

Not sure what the minimum for 7/11 is, but suspect it may not be as low as 10 baht for obvious reasons.

Maybe use one of those coin top-up machines? They're everywhere. http://www.jsk2545.com/product_mobile_phone_vending-eng.html

I've had 12 months validity on my 12Call SIM for ages, possibly since I got it in 2004.

Probably something to do with my topping it up 1000+ Baht at a time.

Think I got my new one 2005 - but can't remember, may have been earlier.

Always got 12 months, even with top-up of 200 baht.

But usually do 1000 as got a smart fone a few years ago and need a data plan (want a data plan !!)

What about #123#?

IME, the iService app takes a long, long, long time to update the expiry, not sure why. I would not rely on that, but rather on #123#.

#123# reports the same validity date (unchanged).

Not sure what the minimum for 7/11 is, but suspect it may not be as low as 10 baht for obvious reasons.

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe use one of those coin top-up machines? They're everywhere. http://www.jsk2545.com/product_mobile_phone_vending-eng.html

I've never paid any attention to those but that may well be the best answer. I will invest 10B in some research. smile.png

I have a trip to the UK coming up during which I will probably use up some of my old True credit, so if the 10B top-up extends my validity I may leave porting my number to another provider until I get back.

The Google translation of the TrueH top-up page says this:

Mobile top up Recharge Prepaid Mobile through agents .
If you do not want to fill We had a dealer to serve you fill casual . Addition of 10 - 1,000 baht .
Look for stores with the symbol. TrueMove H Prepay your phone.

Tell the dealer you want a prepaid mobile phone number and the amount to fill.
Then fill the waiting
SMS confirmation

and that seems to give a minimum of 30 days for any top-up (150 days for 1000B). So all I need to do is find somewhere with this sign:

icon_topup_true.png

OK, your call may not have "registered". I assume this has worked for you in the past? Maybe just complete a 30 second call to a Thai mobile 08n? If you don't know anyone you could almost just dial any random number. That should do it.

Interesting.

Any news about AIS?

I've topped up my (4y old) Sim with 300 Baht and got only 45 days of validity..bah.gif

30 day validity extension costs 30 Baht each time.

Not really cheap.

Same as DTAC, but DTAC has the option of paying a small fee to extend the life of the SIM, I would call the AIS call center and see if they have the same option. Have found that most mobile providers have the same services, of course True being the exception

Any news about AIS?

A lot is dependent on the current plan/promotion associated with your SIM/number/account.

I'd drop an email to [email protected] , obviously mention your phone number, and ask about longer-term expiration options.

Did you switch to AWN.

I think most newer pre-paid AWN SIMs offer a maximum of 30 and 60 day top ups based on amount, while some are capped at 60 days total, and others are cumulative out to 365 days.

Also some SIMs/plans/promotions extend validity on a rolling basis based on usage.

They also may have some options to purchase extended validity.

Not sure if this is applicable to AWN, or your SIM? (You could pay someone else to ransfer validity, but suspect AIS will let you do this for yourself, out of your pre-paid balance.)

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/balance-validity-transfer.html

Validity Transfer denominations are available in 5, 10 or 20 days. Only one option can be processed at a time.
There is no limit on the number of times and days to process Validity Transfer Service and recipient would accumulate total of up to 365 validity days.
The service is applicable only to prepaid customers (One-2-Call! or Sawasdee) who are on a call plan which has the rate of top up amount of at least 200 baht in order to gain 30 validity days and who have been with One-2-Call! or Sawasdee at least 30 days.
Not applicable for less than 200 Baht top up promotion, with validity of 30 days.
Edited by lomatopo

A lot is dependent on the current plan/promotion associated with your SIM/number/account.

That's my current plan

Did you switch to AWN

What is AWN?

They also may have some options to purchase extended validity.

As I've written above: 30 days for expensive (compared to Dtac) 30 Baht....

*500*9#

These 30 Baht doesn't really kill me, but it's annoying.

I will email AIS later and ask them, if there are other options available.

But I seriously doubt it....

AWN is the new AIS/One-2-Call 2100 MHz subsidiary. You would have had to proactively change to this new subsidiary, and suspect you'd know if you had done this. Newer SIMs are labeled as 2100 MHz. AIS's old concession ends in 2015.

Is your validity based on usage?

Mention to AIS that you are considering MNPing to DTAC as they offer cost-effective methods to extend validity.

OK, your call may not have "registered". I assume this has worked for you in the past? Maybe just complete a 30 second call to a Thai mobile 08n? If you don't know anyone you could almost just dial any random number. That should do it.

I have previously had no trouble when calling my own UK VOIP number and calls of just 1 second have extended the validity in the past. I tried calling another Thai mobile and spoke for over a minute. The call was charged but the validity did not change. So I would say that's it as far as that goes.

So whilst on my daily walk I looked for top-up machines. I found one with a load of flower plants laid out in front of it that made it impossible to get to it. Found another that was accessible and working, but couldn't get beyond the "push 0 to start" as all the instructions were from a verbal recording (in Thai) rather than on-screen.

I have two days to find another machine that I can use. I can do top-ups from my online banking without charge but the minimum seems to be either 30B or 50B which is more than I care to pay per month.

The most annoying thing about this is that you have to repeat the pointless procedure every 30 days. Why not just charge 120B per year as a one-off fee and be done with it?

AWN is the new AIS/One-2-Call 2100 MHz subsidiary. You would have had to proactively change to this new subsidiary, and suspect you'd know if you had done this. Newer SIMs are labeled as 2100 MHz. AIS's old concession ends in 2015.

thanks, meanwhile I googled a little bit about AWN.

This explains the SMS (in Thai) with "something about 2100", which my friend received recently.

My Sim is now 4 years old and it seems, that I have to swap it to a newer one, if I want to use AWN?

post-158247-0-46304100-1395453364_thumb.

Is your validity based on usage?

No

Mention to AIS that you are considering MNPing to DTAC as they offer cost-effective methods to extend validity.

Maybe, but atm, I have free 70MB 3G Internet every month with AIS, which I don't want to lose.

Why not just charge 120B per year as a one-off fee and be done with it?

Maybe just contact TrueMove H to see if there are any options for paying for extended validity?

My TrueMove H SIM/account/plan/promotion continues to give a 60 day maximum, rolling, non-cumulative validity based on usage (completed call) or a top-up of any value. Since I use my phone daily, and top it up every month or so, that works for me.

My Sim is now 4 years old and it seems, that I have to swap it to a newer one, if I want to use AWN?

Up to you. Your service will end next year so eventually you'll have to do something.