Pretty in pink: Thai Army chief proposes curtains for bunkers

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are they still protecting the protest sites when the protest sites have been closed down?

There are still 5 protest sites/areas in and around Bangkok. That is why.....

1) Lumpini, PDRC

2) Chaeng Wattana, PDRC led by monk Issara,

3) Interior Ministry , unionists

4) Nail Lern, (students network)

5) Phan Fa/Ratchadamnoen Nok, PCAD

You could technically merged the last two but they do cover distinct areas.

• Like 1

It is important to also point out that most are medical teams who can respond rapidly in case of violence.

I sense a commercial opportunity here for the army engaging in a synergy of advertising cute 'Hello Kitty' products. That would attract loads of girls to keep the soliders happy as well...........they really do look bored.

According to the NATION's report.

-----Prayuth added that the army did not take sides, neither the protesters nor the government. "We provide safety and protection to ensure that no violence happens," he said.-----

IMO, soldiers should always be on the side of a government to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

-----The army has deployed the soldiers to the capital after a series of violent incidents during the antigovernment protests, which resulted in deaths and injuries on both sides.-----

Did the army's deployment of soldiers in the capital in consultation and cooperation with the CMPO? Was it at the order of a government and/or CMPO?

The army has certainly make it very hard and has impeded law enforcement agencies to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

The army's job is to follow government instructions within the framework of the law. It should also be noted that, this being a constitutional monarchy, there is also a higher authority which can override or intervene in the government's instructions, although for pragmatic and traditional reasons this has only done in extremis. The army is not here to support the government in a political sense (yes, I know, I'm getting to that); it is obliged to refuse government orders that are illegal; and ultimately it is responsible to the head of state rather than the government.

I do not entirely agree that it has impeded rule of law. Obviously there is an extensive tradition of illegal military coups, but the fact is that whenever the shit hits the fan the police have proved utterly useless and it is the army that eventually restores law and order, albeit frequently at the expense of the government which are generally breaking the law left right and centre. Yes it sucks, but this is a developing country, a lot of shit doesn't work and if "rule of law" actually existed in Thailand it just wouldn't be necessary.

IMHO there is no rule of law in Thailand. The reason you don't get mugged in the street is largely because of social convention.

I can see that you were trying to give a balanced view on the loyalty, duties and responsibilities of the Army. However, I think you strayed into a territories that do not exist - higher authority's overriding and intervention, there was no illegal government orders, the HOS of Thailand is not to involve in political matters and he did not issue any order.

Your comment and opinion, however, did not answer my questions.

The Army's actions and inaction has certainly make it very hard and has impeded law enforcement agencies to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

-----Prayuth added that the army did not take sides, neither the protesters nor the government. "We provide safety and protection to ensure that no violence happens," he said.-----

IMO, soldiers should always be on the side of a government to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

-----The army has deployed the soldiers to the capital after a series of violent incidents during the antigovernment protests, which resulted in deaths and injuries on both sides.-----

Did the army's deployment of soldiers in the capital in consultation and cooperation with the CMPO? Was it at the order of a government and/or CMPO?

The army has certainly make it very hard and has impeded law enforcement agencies to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

The army's job is to follow government instructions within the framework of the law. It should also be noted that, this being a constitutional monarchy, there is also a higher authority which can override or intervene in the government's instructions, although for pragmatic and traditional reasons this has only done in extremis. The army is not here to support the government in a political sense (yes, I know, I'm getting to that); it is obliged to refuse government orders that are illegal; and ultimately it is responsible to the head of state rather than the government.

I do not entirely agree that it has impeded rule of law. Obviously there is an extensive tradition of illegal military coups, but the fact is that whenever the shit hits the fan the police have proved utterly useless and it is the army that eventually restores law and order, albeit frequently at the expense of the government which are generally breaking the law left right and centre. Yes it sucks, but this is a developing country, a lot of shit doesn't work and if "rule of law" actually existed in Thailand it just wouldn't be necessary.

IMHO there is no rule of law in Thailand. The reason you don't get mugged in the street is largely because of social convention.

I can see that you were trying to give a balanced view on the loyalty, duties and responsibilities of the Army. However, I think you strayed into a territories that do not exist - higher authority's overriding and intervention, there was no illegal government orders, the HOS of Thailand is not to involve in political matters and he did not issue any order.

The Army's actions and inaction has certainly make it very hard and has impeded law enforcement agencies to reinstate law and order and the enforcement of rule of law.

icommunity / kikoman / fab4 . . .

If the Police had done their jobs properly in the first place, there would have been no need for the Army to have gotten involved at all.

And how exactly have the Army impeded law enforcement agencies?

The way in which the NATION reported on the pink colour and flowers has made the army chief's remarks in response to caretaker's complaint looks very childish, unprofessional and uncalled for.

A childish and unprofessional response for a childish and unprofessional caretaker PM.

So you agreed that the Army's chief response was childish and unprofessional.

How was the caretaker PM childish when what she was doing was expressing her concerns shared by citizens who complained that they felt intimidated by the presence of soldiers' bunkers and that it may impact the image of the Thai capital, She was asking the army to consider improving the bunkers and do something about the presence of soldiers carrying weapons in the capital.

BTW, I was referring to the way the NATION reported the news/remarks.

If the Police had done their jobs properly in the first place, there would have been no need for the Army to have gotten involved at all.

I suggest you have good answers to my questions raised and why their attitude, actions and inaction have not impeded the operations of the law enforcement agencies.

I will only mention two Army's action and inaction

Actions: Making public statements independence of CMPO. Condemned the RED/UDD activities when what they did was to help in the delivery of ballot boxes and papers - as eg.This is also an inaction because the army did not protect people who want to protect the democratic system with the King as the HOS.

Inaction: Demanded that the police should not use force to reinstate law and order when the dem's pdrc/pcad thugs invaded and occupied government offices and state buildings - these are rebellion against a people elected government with the king as HOS. This is both inaction and action. Their insistent that they are on the side of the people - which people. Are they not clear about their loyalty, duties and responsibilities under a democratic system with the king as the HOS?

• Like 2

I suggest you have good answers to my questions raised and why their attitude, actions and inaction have not impeded the operations of the law enforcement agencies.

I will only mention two Army's action and inaction

Actions: Making public statements independence of CMPO. Condemned the RED/UDD activities when what they did was to help in the delivery of ballot boxes and papers - as eg.This is also an inaction because the army did not protect people who want to protect the democratic system with the King as the HOS.

Inaction: Demanded that the police should not use force to reinstate law and order when the dem's pdrc/pcad thugs invaded and occupied government offices and state buildings - these are rebellion against a people elected government with the king as HOS. This is both inaction and action. Their insistent that they are on the side of the people - which people. Are they not clear about their loyalty, duties and responsibilities under a democratic system with the king as the HOS?

The answers:

ACTION: no idea what on earth you are talking about so can't answer that one.

INACTION: the Army was following the Court instructions and reminding the Police/CMPO that force was not to be used on the protestors.

I say again, if the Police had done their jobs in a completely unbiased way, protecting both sides, there would have been no need for the Army to get involved at all.

It is important to also point out that most are medical teams who can respond rapidly in case of violence.

I sense a commercial opportunity here for the army engaging in a synergy of advertising cute 'Hello Kitty' products. That would attract loads of girls to keep the soliders happy as well...........they really do look bored.

Some of them look downright miserable and who can blame them! I'd hate to be on stag in the Bangkok heat and fumes in full battle dress too (some of them are even wearing body armour). . . And that's without mentioning the ones posted near a noisy stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There's a very old maxim that sometimes women should be seen and not heard.... and here's an example of why.

It was bad enough that Yingluck (who was as qualified for the position as General Prayuth was to be a supermodel) was foisted on the army in the first place. This had to be some kind of cruel revenge on her brother's part wink.png but to have her actually telling them what to do must be even more galling.

To the general's credit he has handled this and the entire political crisis impeccably. Worth of the Nobel Peace Prize nomination perhaps?

The way in which the NATION reported on the pink colour and flowers has made the army chief's remarks in response to caretaker's complaint looks very childish, unprofessional and uncalled for.

A childish and unprofessional response for a childish and unprofessional caretaker PM.

So you agreed that the Army's chief response was childish and unprofessional.

How was the caretaker PM childish when what she was doing was expressing her concerns shared by citizens who complained that they felt intimidated by the presence of soldiers' bunkers and that it may impact the image of the Thai capital, She was asking the army to consider improving the bunkers and do something about the presence of soldiers carrying weapons in the capital.

BTW, I was referring to the way the NATION reported the news/remarks.

Actually I do agree it was a childish and unprofessional response. But that just goes to show how much 'respect' they have for Poo as Prime Minister.

And those are army bunkers and the soldiers are in the city because the situation is still tense and grenades are still being thrown. They're soldiers. Those are bunkers to protect the soldiers. What does she expect from them? This?

hello_kitty_xm8.jpg

Edited by TVGerry

my god, is this woman serious, she wants the army bunkers to have pink cutains and soldiers to not carry weapons, what a wacko. I can see it now, the reds attack the army and they throw flowers at them in defence while the reds blow them away with the weapons yl takes away from the army.

Someone needs to stop this woman before she totally screws the country, sorry, she has already done that, make that, someone needs to stop here before she turns everyone into "pretties" like her.

Why didn't you read the OP before you posted?

"When asked about the premier's concerns, Prayuth jokingly said he might have to think about decorating the bunkers with flowers or hanging pink curtains."

​You should apologize to the forum for your misplaced rant.

• Like 1

"Prayuth added that the army did not take sides, neither the protesters nor the government"

Really?....tell that to the people who witnessed their actions at R'song in 2010.

Tell that to the elected Govt. they mutinied against, in refusing to deal with the airporters challenging an elected Govt.

Talk is cheap.

Ostriching about the alleged presence of military elements within coup-monger ranks is also disengenuous.

Its going to take a lot more than the bromides mentioned in this quote, to dispel the notion of the military being no better than an outside occupation force displayed at R'song. Also with its' self-appointed primary role to protect the Elitist elements of society does not go over well.

Right now the biggest problem for the military is to show they are not participative in these protests. Why they are hanging around this thing is beyond me. Demonizing the Police does not provide a rationale. That is just coup-monger speak, seeking ongoing participation of their friends in the military..

If there is ever any dispute or challenge to the military, it never comes from the Elitist side of the Political divide....That alone says a lot.

You can be assured that being disrespectful to the Prime Minister by dismissing her concerns about appearances of his military, does not go unnoticed by those who have elected her to be Prime Minister. They quite correctly expect her to advance their trust and not let some General dismiss it.

coup-monger….passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

Has this cretinous PM forgotten that her police also carry weapons and that this has never seemed to be an issue. Perhaps the army should conceal their weapons in popcorn bags. . Broken pavements, bad roads, mindless traffic jams, garbage strewn all over, the country in civil disarray and this cretin is concerned with the impact of tourist seeing army checkpoints staffed by uniformed men with weapons. They are there for a very good reason and most tourists/visitors will understand that.

Why not red, blue and white... or red, green and yellow

More importantly, no one has mentioned the breach of the Geneva Conventions with the misuse of the Red Cross emblem in the second photograph of this posting.

Can't imagine The Thai Red Cross Society being active in protecting the emblem any time soon.....

Why not red, blue and white... or red, green and yellow

More importantly, no one has mentioned the breach of the Geneva Conventions with the misuse of the Red Cross emblem in the second photograph of this posting.

Can't imagine The Thai Red Cross Society being active in protecting the emblem any time soon.....

The green and yellow colour combination is being kept for the next elite backed anti-democratic movement.

They will be known as PDCAFAFEITLOS

Popcorners Democratic Council Against Free And Fair Elections In The Land Of Smiles

Edited by ManofReason
  • Like 1

my god, is this woman serious, she wants the army bunkers to have pink cutains and soldiers to not carry weapons, what a wacko. I can see it now, the reds attack the army and they throw flowers at them in defence while the reds blow them away with the weapons yl takes away from the army.

Someone needs to stop this woman before she totally screws the country, sorry, she has already done that, make that, someone needs to stop here before she turns everyone into "pretties" like her.

FACT CHECK

Yingluck did not mention anything about pink curtains.

The General did.

This is only possible in Thailand... cheesy.gif

And PooYingLuck has really RIDICULOUS requests !! Army without weapons while everybody in the streets walks around with weapons ??? hahahahahaha.. give me a break, stupid puppet... facepalm.gif

There's a very old maxim that sometimes women should be seen and not heard.... and here's an example of why.

It was bad enough that Yingluck (who was as qualified for the position as General Prayuth was to be a supermodel) was foisted on the army in the first place. This had to be some kind of cruel revenge on her brother's part wink.png but to have her actually telling them what to do must be even more galling.

To the general's credit he has handled this and the entire political crisis impeccably. Worth of the Nobel Peace Prize nomination perhaps?

"To the general's credit he has handled this and the entire political crisis impeccably. Worth of the Nobel Peace Prize nomination perhaps?"

Sarcasm right? Given that his actions throughout this terrorist uprising have been tantamount to mutiny!