Rearing broiler chickens.

Exnavy

I'll be paying 12 baht each for the chicks. (Asked the price of 3 blood chicks from a local feed and farm stock shop - 45 baht each!)

Can't read Thai so don't know brand of feed but price 510 for starter feed and 500 baht from one month onwards (per sack).

He reckons 3 sacks per 100 birds per month. So at around 2 months the cost for 300 is 9090 baht. Add the birds at 3600 baht, basic cost is 12690 baht.

Looking at his last 150 bird sale after approximately 2 months, 'assuming' 1.5 kilos per bird at 70 baht a kilo, he did well.

Maybe my math is wrong, but I figure over two months he made ฿3,060, I guess anytime you come out in the positive column you're ahead and that is good, but I wouldn't consider it doing well.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A bit more than that George. He sold the first 150 birds at 6 weeks for the same 70 baht a kilo. IF and I say IF they averaged 1 kilo in weight, thats another 10,500 baht. Even at 0.75 kilo it still gives him another 7,350 baht.

• 7 months later...

Gents,

may i inquire with you if one of you has detected some kind of system of shops or breeders who sells chicks.

I am on the verge of starting a small free range chicken hatch near Sisaket.

It appears the obtaining of the chicks is a bit a challenge.

Any provision of contacts in this regards is welcomed.

Cheers

V

Hi Jontham, I'm 4km outside Lahansai, Buriram.

Went to see the Thai guy late yesterday with my wife. He'd sold the remaining 150 birds at about 9 weeks and (he said), an average weight of 1.5 kilos. I reminded him of his 3 month 2 kilo weight statement from the last time we met and he was pretty vague about it this time. Said the feed during the first month needed to be adjusted to put the weight on early. In other words, difficult to achieve it seems, so I owe you guys an apology for insisting that it was possible.

Anyway, we covered costs against sale price of all the birds and he made what I consider to be a fair profit. Any profit against light and interesting 'work', is OK by me and if the margin can be improved, I'm in. So.....as we already have a suitable building which just needs a bit more work done to it, I ordered 300 chicks which should be available in about 3 weeks. I'm going to follow his modified feed program etc., and when we're at the sale stage we're also going to use his dealers. He says that there's no problem moving them on and I get the feeling that they go South to Cambodia.!!

My wife and the Thai guy talk in Kymer. My wife passes on her interpretation of what he says voluntarily or in answer to my questions, so there may be one or two misinterpretations for which I once again apologise for. The gist of it though has got me hooked.

Hello Exnavy,

my farm is close (10 - 15 klicks away) from Sisaket.

Small free range - later possible organic and or closed loop system project.

I have issues finding chicks for purchase ( my wife to be correct has the issue)

It there a chance and or interest to create an info exchange?

Best regards

V

• 2 weeks later...

Gai Ban the fatal rate is very high.It is always less than a kg

Rear anything must let then growth as fast as possible and sell as fast as possible unless the feed is very low

i would say if you are loosing hens,chickens, while growing i would say cocsidioses, if you keep chickens on the same ground this will build up and if not treated it is a killer big time,

it loves wet damp conditions, thats why there is allways a die off of hens in thailand, they dont treat for it, then when the conditions are right it kills a big % of there flock,

there is more to it then just putting a few chicks in a shed feeding them and then getting the money for them,

same with pigs,

people think its easy, nothing is easy else the thais would all be doing it, believe me,

Gai Ban the fatal rate is very high.It is always less than a kg

Rear anything must let then growth as fast as possible and sell as fast as possible unless the feed is very low

Usually about once a year there is a big die off of gai ban. This year it wasn't as bad as usual. Coccidiosis is just part of having poultry and is impossible to prevent altogether unless your birds are raised on wire. It can be controlled with diatomaceous earth. What happens is that the chickens will be running around and doing ok with coccidiosis and the the bug comes around and really hammers your flock. The worst of the bugs is called kee kao (white poo) and will take 80% of a flock. Treatment after the fact is difficult and not very effective. Prevention comes with treating your yard with DE, treating your birds about every 90 days, make sure you birds are well nurished and make sure their water is clean and fresh(often not done for gai ban). Trying to keep pure gai ban fed well is a sure money loser(so they are rarely well fed when the bug strikes), but can be done if you are raising crosses.

Pure gai ban will usually get to 1.8 to 2 kg for females and 2.2-3 kg for males, but this takes a really long time and with a very poor feed conversion ratio. I've tried vaccines and can not see a difference so I do not vaccinate any more. I do cull without mercy and I do not use rice hulls as I feel they do more harm than good.

There will always be someone around that can get you a small quantity of layers, broilers, or ducks, but in my are this tends to be very hit or miss. If you are going to do any sort of volume, you need your own breeders.

• Like 2

I'll be paying 12 baht each for the chicks. (Asked the price of 3 blood chicks from a local feed and farm stock shop - 45 baht each!)

Can't read Thai so don't know brand of feed but price 510 for starter feed and 500 baht from one month onwards (per sack).

He reckons 3 sacks per 100 birds per month. So at around 2 months the cost for 300 is 9090 baht. Add the birds at 3600 baht, basic cost is 12690 baht.

Looking at his last 150 bird sale after approximately 2 months, 'assuming' 1.5 kilos per bird at 70 baht a kilo, he did well.

So the fcr is 1.2 by commercial feed

For price of 70 baht is a very good price.we can sell at 5 0baht per kg only under normal situation

Currently I only have 300 broiler purchase at 100 baht per kg .is it the correct price?

So anyone know the fcr by commercial feed for broiler please advise

The black feather chicken used for praying can fetch 80 to 100 baht per kg at the tribes area

For price of 70 baht is a very good price.we can sell at 5 0baht per kg only under normal situation

Currently I only have 300 broiler purchase at 100 baht per kg .is it the correct price?

His FCR was not 1.2 and he is not raising broilers, but a gai ban and layer cross. If you search you will find that most broiler houses will get just under 2 for a fcr. I have heard as low as 1.5 under good circumstances. If you are formulating your own feed I would be happy with a fcr between 2 and 2.2. I don't understand what you are saying about "300 broilers purchased at 100 baht per kg". If you are not working with CP or one of the other big boys you may have problems selling 300 broilers, please let us know how this goes.

good luck

His FCR was not 1.2 and he is not raising broilers, but a gai ban and layer cross. If you search you will find that most broiler houses will get just under 2 for a fcr. I have heard as low as 1.5 under good circumstances. If you are formulating your own feed I would be happy with a fcr between 2 and 2.2. I don't understand what you are saying about "300 broilers purchased at 100 baht per kg". If you are not working with CP or one of the other big boys you may have problems selling 300 broilers, please let us know how this goes.

good luck

Thank for the information

I had bought 300 chickens.The cost was 100 baht per kg

The average weight per chick is 150g and the cost is 15 baht

If the fcr is 2 by using commercial feed (about 18 baht per kg)

If I raise the chicken until 2kg it will cost 4x18+15-0.15×18=84.3

The cost per kg is 42.1baht without labour cost and other capital cost

Then it will be a lost if the chicken is sold at 40 baht per kg even without any dead of the chicken

In our area we will sell the chicken when the weight is more then 0.5kg it may sell at 50 bath or even 100 baht per chick but not less than 80 bath per kg(They need the black chicken to pray and one year they may pray more then 10)

I have a long period to sell

Unless I am able to bring down the feed cost, I only can rear the quantity of the chicken that can be absorbed by our area.