Can you reccommend a specific air purifier?

luther

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Read a great post in the pinned topic on this. (Member named Awk). He posted an incredible comparison between a very high end air purifier, and an air conditioner with 3M Filtrete.

He messed that up slightly by not installing it as directed, but still I get the impression that while the 3M material is well worth using and brings particulate pollution back to acceptable levels, the dedicated air purifier with HEPA filter is nothing short of incredible in filtering out stuff.

I have been looking at Air Purifiers, checking this forum and internet

I was going to buy a AP manufacturered by Blue, however the cost of replacement filets was way ti high about 5K each every 6 months

In the end I purchased a Hitachi EP-A7000 cost about 20K

The filtration system appeared okay to me, three filer are fitted, pre-filter, dust filter and deodorising / charcoal

The Hatari air purifier at 5000 baht or so has a big HEPA cartridge which can be replaced for 500 baht and is available. Many of the fancier ones do not have as efficeint a filter and also do not have replacement filters available.

Not a case of you get what you pay for.

Your current aircon with 3M filter material over the filter will out perform any stand alone air purifier. Just the shear size of the filter to start, and the amount of air that it circulates. All for a whopping 300B!

I followed a thread last year, went to Macro, and bought several boxes of 3-M filters. I then carefully taped them over the vents of my AC unit in my bedroom. They were solid black in four days, not dark gray. I took them off, but could not wash them. I then taped the rest of roll back on the vents and they were solid black in a week. (I live out towards Mae Rim) I'm wondering how long you 3-M enthusiasts leave yours on.

My wife and I have borrowed a 1,000 dollar air purifier from out landlord in years past. It helped quite a bit in one room.

I'm hoping someone out there who has done some research and bought something they have liked can chime in, because the price between AC units and air purifiers is huge and mystifying and so is the reduction of particulate matter.

Your current aircon with 3M filter material over the filter will out perform any stand alone air purifier. Just the shear size of the filter to start, and the amount of air that it circulates. All for a whopping 300B!

I followed a thread last year, went to Macro, and bought several boxes of 3-M filters. I then carefully taped them over the vents of my AC unit in my bedroom. They were solid black in four days, not dark gray. I took them off, but could not wash them. I then taped the rest of roll back on the vents and they were solid black in a week. (I live out towards Mae Rim) I'm wondering how long you 3-M enthusiasts leave yours on.

My wife and I have borrowed a 1,000 dollar air purifier from out landlord in years past. It helped quite a bit in one room.

I'm hoping someone out there who has done some research and bought something they have liked can chime in, because the price between AC units and air purifiers is huge and mystifying and so is the reduction of particulate matter.

5000baht is a lot less than $1000.

I have 2 24 * 7

Edited by harrry

I check regularly and replace as needed. BTW they're supposed to be attached to the existing re-usable filters on the inside, not taped to the vents on the outside. Not sure if that matters much though, just stating what it says in the instructions.

So far this year has been astonishing in terms of air clarity given that we're already well into March. Unless we see a major change for the worse I'll stick with the 3M filters for the time being. (Keep fingers crossed..)

Just checked mine….BLACK!! Replaced with new material while I wash the old one. For 300B this is really doing a good job cleaning our air. Got them on both units, and in the bedroom only have a negative ion generator going. I don't see the need for a stand alone unit when the material is catching all this!
To each their own….

And what is the volume of air treated per hour in your method as compared to a standard hepa filter air cleaner.

The Hatari air purifier at 5000 baht or so has a big HEPA cartridge which can be replaced for 500 baht and is available. Many of the fancier ones do not have as efficeint a filter and also do not have replacement filters available.

Where can this be purchased and how large a room will it keep clean? I'd like to eliminate my annual burning season cough.

Where can this be purchased and how large a room will it keep clean? I'd like to eliminate my annual burning season cough.

I bought mine originally at BigC but they are not that reliable a supplier. I suggest ringing http://www.hatari.co.th/en and asking them as they were quite helpful in telling us where to buy replacement filters. http://www.hatari.co.th/en/products/air-cleaner/ht-ap12.html should help. run it through google translate if you need to.

I have very severe COPD and live in Chiangrai and even in the bad season last year had no trouble as long as I stayed inside. Outside 5 minutes was often enough to floor me. I run them all the time.

not sure if this is allowed so mods delete if needed. http://www.lazada.co.th/hatari-ht-ap12-30-32-149439.html

Edited by harrry

I looked at the hitari one but as you can't turn the ionizer off it was a show stopper for me (due to possible ozone emission and having a baby)

8IbpGhm.jpg

Not sure about that. Mine has a button clearly labled "Super Ioniser" which turns the ioniser on and off.

I bought mine originally at BigC but they are not that reliable a supplier. I suggest ringing http://www.hatari.co.th/en and asking them as they were quite helpful in telling us where to buy replacement filters. http://www.hatari.co.th/en/products/air-cleaner/ht-ap12.html should help. run it through google translate if you need to.

I have very severe COPD and live in Chiangrai and even in the bad season last year had no trouble as long as I stayed inside. Outside 5 minutes was often enough to floor me. I run them all the time.

not sure if this is allowed so mods delete if needed. http://www.lazada.co.th/hatari-ht-ap12-30-32-149439.html

Harry, are the pre & HEPA filters separate cartridges in your HT-AP12 unit?

We've just called the Hatari distributors in Bangkok, and one woman told us the HEPA filter is a separate unit, currently available at 598 Baht each. The second guy we talked to told us the four filters are all combined into one unit, and are not yet available (888 Baht) as spare parts.

Jose I can only speak for my unit which is the older model though there is a photo of the filter on the lavaza site.'

post-64834-0-95151400-1394165199_thumb.j

This looks the same as mine.

the pre filter is a square of the black foamy plastic which fits in the cover and gets the big dust. It can be regularly washed.

THe filter package consists of several items in a paper box type construction.

1. paper like the microfibre fibre you put on airconditioners...

2 a honecomb type layer probably of similar material

3 not sure

4 a black carbon filter layer.

I am not sure about whether it is exactly the same. I think so but even if it is not Hatari are very good with spare parts.

THe filter should under general circumstances last a year of continual use. Mine run all day and night in chiangrai. Last year one filter lasted all the really bad smokey season and it was very very bad here. That means I will have used 2 a year and this is more than normal.

My strong suggestion is buy one....If the filter is the same no problems. If not you should get a years use from now so by then I am sure hatari will have sorted out the parts.

I know I sound as if I am trying to sell this. Not really. But I do know that if it was not for that filter I would either have been dead or retuned to Australia by now.

There are two popular brands that usually end up at the top of various tests, and that is Blueair and IQAir. Blueair can be ordered from eaeasy.com, and if you search the Chiang Mai forum for IQAir, I remember somebody mentioned where they ordered that from. The air at the output of a good air purifier is one to two magnitudes cleaner than the air at the output of an AC with 3M filtrete attached, even when the AC is a brand new AC with Samsung\s "Virus Doctor" system that is supposed to further clean the air. This I can say after comparing the two directly with a particle counter from Dylos corporation (DC1700).

I do not believe Blueair or IQAir provide the best value for money, and in fact, Consumer Reports USA ranked a much cheaper air purifier from Whirlpool as it's #1 (with Blueair at #2 and #3. IQAir was for some reason not part of the test), and they do not seem to have included the factor that the Whirlpool costs one third or so of the Blueair units.

Unfortunately there are big differences in how well air purifiers filter the air, whether or not they release ozone (something warned against strongly) into the air, as well as the volume or air they move (measured as CADR - clean air delivery rate). For instance, I have the largest Blueair model, but it sadly has little or no measurable effect when placed in the very large and leaking livingroom, with no doors between it and the kitchen or the second floor. The unit works very well in the 25m2 bedroom however.

The CADR numbers you should be able to see on the packaging of the air purifier, but the other things one can only go to independent tests to know. If you search for one of my recent posts, I mentioned a couple of websites with some test published.

IQAir and Blueair are a "no headache" decision I think. You will get one of the best air purifiers available for domesic use, and you will pay a premium for it. If you read the various tests available and try to find a model available in Thailand, and you might very well save a bunch of money and get the same result however. E.g., the 500B filter cost somebody quoted here is less than a tenth of the filter cost of the Blueair 650E model, and needs to be replaced every 180 days. I do not know how well that works however. Hopefully it works similarly good to the top brands, but unless the unit has been tested by independent professionals, how would one know?

Jose I can only speak for my unit which is the older model though there is a photo of the filter on the lavaza site.'

attachicon.giffilter.jpg

the pre filter is a square of the black foamy plastic which fits in the cover and gets the big dust. It can be regularly washed.

3 not sure

I am not sure about whether it is exactly the same. I think so but even if it is not Hatari are very good with spare parts.

THe filter should under general circumstances last a year of continual use. Mine run all day and night in chiangrai. Last year one filter lasted all the really bad smokey season and it was very very bad here. That means I will have used 2 a year and this is more than normal.

My strong suggestion is buy one....If the filter is the same no problems. If not you should get a years use from now so by then I am sure hatari will have sorted out the parts.

I know I sound as if I am trying to sell this. Not really. But I do know that if it was not for that filter I would either have been dead or retuned to Australia by now.

Thanks, Harry.

Bought the Hatari HT-AP12 unit today at HomePro (Big C @ Super Hwy, Chiang Mai) - on special at 4888 Baht, with an extra HEPA filter and a medium-sized fan thrown in. Can comfirm that the ionizer function may be switched off through the remote control.

Edited by Jose

attachicon.giffilter.jpg

3 not sure

Thanks, Harry.

Bought the Hatari HT-AP12 unit today at HomePro (Big C @ Super Hwy, Chiang Mai) - on special at 4888 Baht, with an extra HEPA filter and a medium-sized fan thrown in. Can comfirm that the ionizer function may be switched off through the remote control.

Please let us know what you think of it. I'm busy this weekend but may head to HomePro next week to pick one up.

Please let us know what you think of it. I'm busy this weekend but may head to HomePro next week to pick one up.

Hard to tell so far, as I'm also running 24/7 a large a/c unit covered in 3M filtrete material which I change weekly under the current conditions. But in the meantime, peace of mind and morale has definitely improved in our household. wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about the operating costs? Last year we ran are air con all the time we were home and the cost was quite high. This year thanks to a lot less smog we have not found the need to turn it on yet. Knock on wood.

With respect to Air purifiers, there are some many different types along with prices

At the end of the day you buy what you think is the best at the price which is right for you

If it didn't have a Hepa air filter I would not consider one.

I looked at the hitari one but as you can't turn the ionizer off it was a show stopper for me (due to possible ozone emission and having a baby)

-

Sorry that is a new idea to me. would it not be just as beneficial to the baby as to an adult?

Hard to tell so far, as I'm also running 24/7 a large a/c unit covered in 3M filtrete material which I change weekly under the current conditions. But in the meantime, peace of mind and morale has definitely improved in our household. wink.png

Can you explain the reason to use the ionizer or not to use it.

May be wrong, but in non technical terms an ioniser creates ozone which passes its charge to dust particles which can then clump together like magnets and get large and heavy enough to fall out of the air as dust rather than staying in the air. Tywais would be the one to give a real answer.

The ioniser on the air cleaner is optional .....it can be switched on or off.

Regarding volume my airconditioner a Mitsubushi Inverter would not put out nearly as much air as the Hatari filter I have.

A good ioniser will charge the surrounding air with negatively-charged particles (good for health, think sea breeze), and neutralize positively-charged particles (think Chinook/Sharav/Levante desert winds which cause migraines) often generated by electronic equipment. This negatively charged air will force suspended particles in the air to become attracted to the nearest ground surface. Place the ioniser near any wall, and watch that surface turn black with very fine dust in no time.

However, ionisers depend on quality components to work as intended. For purity's sake the unit's high voltage output should ideally be stepped up smoothly (from 12/220v to around 6,000~10,000v DC) using transformers (expensive) rather than the cheap solid state circuitry universally found in appliances nowadays. The ioniser needles (discharge high voltage to surrounding air) should be constructed from a good-quality alloy and be super-sharp at all times, and replaced often as they wear out in a few months' use.

Unfortunately all ionisers also produce toxic ozone (O3) as a side-product, and more so with the cheaper inbuilt units which offer no viable way to change the ion discharge needles.

Bottom line given pros & cons of a modern cheap ioniser:

I would recommend switching it off as it's likely to do more harm than good, specially around young growing lungs.

Edited by Jose

Agree totally! I've used these for the past 2 years, and it's amazing what they filter out.

Just got out the step ladder and checked my bedroom AC. I only had it on for about 6 weeks last year after I moved into this place. The filters are quite dark and need to be replaced. As Doi Suthep has disappeared from view, it seems it's that season again.

Well-worth 300baht or so and enough material for two changes. Got these at Home-Pro.

Just got out the step ladder and checked my bedroom AC. I only had it on for about 6 weeks last year after I moved into this place. The filters are quite dark and need to be replaced. As Doi Suthep has disappeared from view, it seems it's that season again.

Well-worth 300baht or so and enough material for two changes. Got these at Home-Pro.

Even better-worth for the double package deal (enough for four filter changes) at 300 Baht. Got these from Sabai and Beyond (located at the Airport Central Plaza car park).

Even better-worth for the double package deal (enough for four filter changes) at 300 Baht. Got these from Sabai and Beyond (located at the Airport Central Plaza car park).

That's what I got at Home Pro. now if only I can find where I put the packets!!!