Samsung Galaxy Note 3 regional lock

Hello,

I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone in Europe. I'm about to bring it to Thailand.

The thing is I'm reading a lot about co called Regional Lock on these phones stopping the user from using SIM cards from outside the region where the headset as purchased.

Initially Samsung claimed that the lock can be removed just by activating the Phone with the SIM card from the region of purchase but numerous online reports claim that it isn't so.

Another option was using an App but this required rooting the device which violates the warranty (and in case of Note 3 can no't be completely undone to restore the warranty).

Theres also an option of buying a special unlocking code online for 20 or so $.

Finally Samsung claimed that a local Samsung Service should be able to turn off the lock.

My question is - did anybody here face this problem, did you have any success removing the lock using any of the above methods? Do the local samsung service shops help with that issue?

Edited by manonthemon

Are you still in Europe? If so, why don't you come here and try before you start worrying? If it works, great. If not, try the local Samsung shop. If they couldn't help then look at other options. FYI some Euro countries have special consumer protecton laws that ignore the rooting warranty void BS.

On another note, I've never needed any warranty work on any of my phones, I purchased and rooted my Note3 and don't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone in Europe.

If your phone is region-locked then it should have a sticker stating this on the end of the faux wooden box.

As I understand it, based on first-hand experience, if your phone is region-locked the one needs to utilize a SIM from the same region - doesn't have to be the same country; region countries should be detailed on the sticker, and complete (incoming or outgoing) at least five minutes of voice calls. After that the phone is "un-locked" and can used anywhere.