Need to get away (to the Himalayan mountains?)

koeko

Hello

I want to go for a 10 days holiday from April 10 to April 20 and I'm considering every option around Thailand. I want to go to somewhere extraordinary, not touristic, far from the population, and what's best than go hiking in the world's highest mountain?

I need some advice however... I don't need advice about hiking, but on the destination itself. I've never been there, the only mountains that I know are the Alpines and Pyrenees mountains.

Looks like it's extending through many countries and I have a lot of options: Nepal, India, China, etc.

What would be the best destination for a non-touristic but yet easy trip? I will travel with my wife and baby, and I'm not afraid of 8+ hours of walking/day. Again I don't need advice on hiking (I'm experimented), I'm really looking for information about the Himalayan mountains and easiest/cheapest approach from Thailand...

Thanks all for any kind answer!

We've got a few members on here with lots of experience in the Himalaya's. One's very experienced with India.

I've only been to the Nepal part, and loved it. Easy "tea house" trekking, with porter support. It was one of the most fantastic hikes I've ever done. I did the full Annapurna Circuit, but don't think you'd want to do that. The pass is just too high for a baby. But, you can go as far as you want, and turn back anytime. Stunning scenery. Annapurna Sanctuary is also a good hike, but I've not done it.

What about Bhutan? I've heard amazing things about it, and it's on my bucket list!

I did some limited trekking around China. Tiger Leaping Gorge, several of the Buddhist religious mountains (which were fantastic), etc. But IMHO, nothing like Nepal.

• Like 2

So let's get this straight, you want to go hiking Mount Everest on ***APRIL 10th***? (You did mention "the world's highest mountain" after all.) Unless you want to die of hypothermia, the Himalayas in general are not the place to be in April. The season for that, unless you want to freeze yourself, is June to August, ideally July, if you plan to go anywhere above 4,000 metres.

I lived and worked in Nepal for a few years way back,

NEPAL an do the tea house treking, hire porters ( carry ur bags an the baby) and do the Annapurna base camp ( 5 days up and 4-5 days back, out of Pokhara)

You could also do the trek from Kathmnadu to Pokhara, never gets to high, easy walk but not as stunning as the Abc.

I have walked the full Annapurna circuit an base camp , Gosainkund lakes ( Helambu/ Langtang) and Everest base camp

have also Cycled to everest base camp

Nepal season is early oct- end nov and than mid march-late April, easy to fly into from bangkok and visa on arrival

Another option IF you have the $$ Bhutan!!! need apply in advance thru a tour agency. i want to go but it averages $250/day/person but that includes a car/driver an hotels so not bad, the baby might be able to go for free.

and another option is to head to Ladakh, ( Little Tibet) its a great overland route thru FANTASTIC scenery and passes.

where Nepal duing high seaosn will be lots of fellow travellers walking an the tea houses wil be full , Ladakh will be relatively empty :-)

but it takes a bit of travelling to get to the jump off point there. flying into Delhi than head north.

If u do go with the Nepal consider hireing a tent /sleeping bags in Kathmandu, so ur dont have to stay in tea houses but can eat in them.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

NEPAL an do the tea house treking, hire porters ( carry ur bags an the baby) and do the Annapurna base camp ( 5 days up and 4-5 days back, out of Pokhara)

You could also do the trek from Kathmnadu to Pokhara, never gets to high, easy walk but not as stunning as the Abc.

I have walked the full Annapurna circuit an base camp , Gosainkund lakes ( Helambu/ Langtang) and Everest base camp

Nepal season is early oct- end nov and than mid march-late April, easy to fly into from bangkok and visa on arrival

Another option IF you have the $$ Bhutan!!! need apply in advance thru a tour agency. i want to go but it averages $250/day/person but that includes a car/driver an hotels so not bad, the baby might be able to go for free.

and another option is to head to Ladakh, ( Little Tibet) its a great overland route thru FANTASTIC scenery and passes.

where Nepal duing high seaosn will be lots of fellow travellers walking an the tea houses wil be full , Ladakh will be relatively empty :-)

but it takes a bit of travelling to get to the jump off point there. flying into Delhi than head north.

If u do go with the Nepal consider hireing a tent /sleeping bags in Kathmandu, so ur dont have to stay in tea houses but can eat in them.

A friend of mine did a trip to Bhutan. If you have the money it seems worth every cent. His photos were spectacular...and he is a lousy photographer.

Edited by harrry

A)

- Kunming/Yunnan/China by plane

- Kunming --> Emei by train

- walk to the top of one of "holy" Chinese Mountains = Emei Shan (=Mountain) ~ 3.000 m; 3 peaks; it will take 2 days; half way there are sleeping facilities, the same on the top; return by cable car.

emeishan16bxt.jpg

- By bus to Leshan - with the biggest sitting Buddha in the world

leshan-giantbuddhamzylq.jpg

- by bus to Zigong with the big dinosaur museum

- by bus to Chendu (research base for giant panda) or Kunming

- return to Thailand by plane

cool.png

Sri Lanka (by Sri Lankan Air)

- Colombo/Negombo (airport) - Kandy - Sigiriya -

sigiriya0fxm6.jpg

[Polonnaruwa - Dambulla -] Kandy - Tangalle (beach) -

Galle - Colombo --> Thailand

C)

Vietnam (by air)

- fly to Hi Chi Min City (Saigon) or Hanoi

- fly on to Danang

- by bus to Hoi an, nice old city and lonly beach (6km)

• Like 2

Emei Shan was one of my most memorable treks. Ok, it was straight up and then straight down. Lots of steps. But fantastic. Like walking in a postcard. Also have done 2 of the other Buddhist mountains. All are great.

I did Annapurna Circuit about 10 years ago. Hardly any travelers. I still keep in contact with my guide. He says tourism is still very low. But they are eating away at the trek. Building the road further and further into the mountains.

If I remember correctly, I paid about $25 a day for a guide/porter (excellent English, had done the trip dozens of times), 3 meals a day and a room in a "tea" house. Tough to beat. I'm too old for a tent! 55555

Thanks all for all your great replies!

This is all good info. I will not use any porter or guide, I will go with a map and compass like I'm used to do in Europe cool.png And will carry the baby, food and water myself as well cowboy.gif (maybe even the wife too if she's tired shock1.gif just kidding), but no seriously, me and the mountains we need some privacy happy.png

I really want to avoid touristic areas as much as possible. From what I've read Everest is probably the most popular mountain and more generally all the Nepal area... in which case I think it'll be best to avoid for me and go for a less known part of the Himalaya... I'm really looking for silence, pure nature, stunning views, no people, no crowds, no guide, just silence and oxygen.

In Nepal it is nearly impossible to avoid tourist wherever you go.

my suggestion head to Langtang cross over via Gosainund lake to Helumbu Its beautiful, gets 1/10 the amount of people the others do but still can be done with out tents and carrying food. BUT do hire a porter ( to carry the baby and supplies) there cheap an will give u freedom.

You dont need a compass only a good guide book

you could also head out FAR east but 10 days is not enough

Kanchenjunga Base camp

Makalu base camp

• Like 1