Education official: 580,000 Thais aged over 15 years are completely illiterate

webfact

Education official sounds literacy alert
The Nation

About 580,000 Thais aged over 15 years are completely illiterate, Education Ministry permanent secretary Suthasri Wongsamarm said yesterday.

She was referring to findings from the latest survey by the Office of Non-Formal and Informal Education.

The survey also found that at least a million others had a very low level of literacy. People in this group could not use their reading, writing and arithmetic skills to answer questions, she said. "Some 1.1 million people aged between 15 and 59 years old are described as having a low level of literacy. They can use those skills to answer just a few questions," Suthasri said.

So far, she said, the findings were from a preliminary survey only.

"We will need to develop standard tests to determine Thais' literacy. Relevant authorities should consult the National Institute of Educational Testing Service," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-07

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be shocking if mid term and final exam booklets for seniors of a top Thai university were viewed. Granted the courses were in English, nevertheless, the abilities of top three or four Thai university seniors is astonishingly low. Many of their essays on simple subject matter are virtually unintelligible.

• Like 2

Do you really expect anything better with the state of our education system at the moment! With teachers that come from the stone age, that are afraid of change, and foreign teachers that are recruited from Kosan Road by so called education agencies?

• Like 1

Terrible statistics considering that "education" accounts for nearly 30% of government expenditure.

Yes but not all of that gets spent on education, this is Thailand remember, Land Of Scams.

• Like 2

how much did they spend on the rice pledging scheme...? priorities eh?!

The rice pledging scheme has nothing to do with this. The 1 tablet per child does.

Since the average thai spends more money and more hours of study than almost all of the rest of the world yet their literacy is almost the lowest the scheme for tablets and ideas for teaching at home online and with videos that have been proposed are rediculous.

A friend who is a foreign teacher told me yesterday that he has pictures of what the students were studying just prior to their final test. The thai teacher did not teach the students. Instead she gave her students all the answers in numeric order to her classes so they only had to memormise the answers in order.

So how can thai students learn anything this way

Another teacher told me a private school he works in has no aircon at all. What motivation is there to do anything but be lazy and sleepy all day when you are hot and sweaty. Mind you this is no small private school.

When a student fails their grades are changed to make them pass.

The only way for the next generation to end this illiteracy is to change the systems of educating these kids and give them incentive to want to learn.

post-196008-13941555574707_thumb.jpg

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 1

If the figures for the survey are taken from the educational system, 580,000 Thais aged over 15 years are completely illiterate and 1.1 million people aged between 15 and 59 years old are described as having a low level of literacy then there is a huge problem with the educational system.

If the survey has been conducted on a nation wide basis, as would be suggested by the low level of literacy (aged between 15 and 59) then I would be interested on how they arrived at these figures without a large guesstimation factor imputed.

The figures surely couldn't be based on grades while leaving school as nobody is allowed to fail..........................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a shame the education budget doesn't actually trickle down to the students, by the time it is raped at every level there is very little left to benefit the students.

This has always been my thinking as well on the budget, the money is there but never arrives where it is needed.

Thai educational system seems to use worldwide charities as its business model.

• Like 1

It's a shame the education budget doesn't actually trickle down to the students, by the time it is raped at every level there is very little left to benefit the students.

This has always been my thinking as well on the budget, the money is there but never arrives where it is needed.

Thai educational system seems to use worldwide charities as its business model.

Instead of trickling down to the students they are made to pay for almost everything associated with their education. Some schools add an electric bill and housekeeping and landscaping bill to tuition along with the mandatory tutoring and uniforms and books and supplies. So the schools are basically keeping all monies with little to none being used to advance a students chances of learning.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Sadly, this is a widespread phenomenon, known as the Dunning-Kruger effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect.

Put cynically, dumb people don't know they are dumb because that would require a level of insight beyond their capacity.

Worse than that, one consequence is that the dumbest are often also the loudest and most confident thereby becoming leaders.

You can see where this is heading.

Well, that certainly explains the state of Thai politics. clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just a suggestion....... OP

DELETE: "We will need to develop standard tests to determine Thais' literacy.

INSERT: We must completely overhaul our 19th century education system, and get ourselves into the 21st century with properly trained teachers, accountable officials, and students who understand failure really does have a consequence in life!

Just a thought

• Like 1

Occasionally I'm painfully aware that I too am illiterate in this country. With old ears I'm not sure I can even detect the different tonalities, therefore I can be discouraged by the learning curve.

Edited by captnhoy

And people wonder why there is so much corruption in this government when a person is easily sueded by a little bit of money to sell their vote to a corrupt politician which will just be worse long term for them.

It would be shocking if mid term and final exam booklets for seniors of a top Thai university were viewed. Granted the courses were in English, nevertheless, the abilities of top three or four Thai university seniors is astonishingly low. Many of their essays on simple subject matter are virtually unintelligible.

was working with some students from chula and they didnt even know how to structure and essay, never mind answering the question instead of rambling on about whatever they felt like writing about. quite shocking.

how much did they spend on the rice pledging scheme...? priorities eh?!

Taken within the context of the annual agricultural subsidies, the rice pledging program will be a blip.

A more appropriate question would be how much is spent on the military and its non defense related commercial and entertainment investments.

If the military was obliged to sell some of its golf courses and country clubs or part of its fleet of luxury automobiles, how much do you think that would net? I'd settle for a clean declaration of non direct military expenditures.

• Like 1

And people wonder why there is so much corruption in this government when a person is easily sueded by a little bit of money to sell their vote to a corrupt politician which will just be worse long term for them.

Your supposition might be valid if and it is a big if, these people voted. There are a number of obstacles that prevent the illiterate from voting.