HD Road KIng - Buy or not?

dagling

Okay, I borrowed a 2006 Road King today an hour outside of Chiang Mai.

The bike felt great and I'm used to heavy bikes before (last bike I had was a Yamaha Road Star 1700).

But there are some things I wonder about owning Road King in Thailand, since I've never owned one before. I want a 2005-2008 model with the 30.000 km on the counter ..

How reliable is the Road King?

What about service and access to parts?

Known problems?

One person told me that the Road King had a lot of problems with the electrical and battery problems?

Gasoline Consumption?

Maintenance costs?

So I want serious answers from people who have either owned or have a Road King.

And for you who run sports bikes, do not come with negative things about cruiser bikes or where these belong.

Thank you.

post-84957-0-45608700-1394198002_thumb.j

Your lucky in Chiang mai with Richo motorspors, they are very good with Harley, our forum sponsor Bikemodel can help with parts.

Using decent Batteries like Mottobatt help a lot, the bikes are pretty good if maintained.

I am looking for one myself.

Your lucky in Chiang mai with Richo motorspors, they are very good with Harley, our forum sponsor Bikemodel can help with parts.

Using decent Batteries like Mottobatt help a lot, the bikes are pretty good if maintained.

I am looking for one myself.

Cheers, but I am not live in Chiang Mai, live in Khon Kaen;-)

Cheers, but I am not live in Chiang Mai, live in Khon Kaen;-)

I guess that is something you would need to check on

How is the Harley support there? ( Khon Kaen )

I would say the same for any brand big bike. Support that is not too far away will make

owning it much more pleasant I would think

Good luck

PS: Google shows this one

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/38734-Silver-Star-Harley-Davidson-Service-Khon-Kaen

Edited by mania

I owned a 2002 Road King and never had any problems during 3 years ownership.

They are a bitch to ride in heavy traffic but out on the higway they are great.

This is a bike you go 2up and you just wants to keep going doing 100-140 km/h all day long.

People that say a HD touring bike is not comfortable is full of shit, no vibration from the rubber mounted engine and nice big foot boards so you can move your feet around during riding and a nice wide seat supporting your ass and lower back nicely (back rest for my wife).

Yes as bazmlb said a good battery is a must, it's hard on the battery to start such a big engine.

If you are a amatur home mecanic you can quite easily maintain it yourself, change the oil often and that about it, no valves to be adjusted.

Bought a screen for mine and snapped it on when going touring and took it off for short rides, you don't even need tools to do that.

Try to get a post 2006 model, I think that year the 95 Inch and 6 speed gear box was interduced but are not 100% sure.

Ahh, I still miss it but when we got a kid my touring days with my wife was over so in the end, I sold it.

• Like 2

I have a '09 RK. Got about 70,000 km on the clock. I change oil regular but not HD oil. Original spark plugs. The only thing I have done is add 0.510 lift geared cams, so the fuel consumption is up but I don't keep track. I think before the cams, I could go about 400 km on 6 US gallons. A tankful.

Batteries. I think best is not to buy HD batts. I got an after market in Pattaya. Much better battery.

I usually ride about 500 km a day but that original seat will kill you.

I had am '02. Did the same cam mod and never any trouble.

I think it would take me about 2.25 tank fulls to go 500 km after the mod but I ride pretty fast.

The frames and exhaust were modded on '09 so the ride is different but either is fine and I think cooler from the exhaust mod.

HD parts in Thailand are expensive, so be prepared. Big Cycle in Udone has done work for me and I have 0 little doubt they are competent but I do most of my own work They replaced a ABS module and F&R tires. Apparently the ABS module is a problem if the bike sits for long periods. The owner has the same bike. There is also Hotrod in Pattaya. British outfit but seem to be good folks. HD only.

PM me for more detail on pricing.

• Like 1

Ok, I have a 2007 with 27.000 km. asking price 790.000,- And a 2012 with a asking price 1.150.000,- 360.000 ,- diffrent, but what will be the smart thing to do, if money is not problem? Where will I loose when it comes to selling the bike after 3-5 year?

Don't know the RK, of HD lineup I like the Nero and V- rod and you can get those under a million with not even a thousand miles on a clock (few years old models). If money isn't a problem, I'd go with the newer bike.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok, I have a 2007 with 27.000 km. asking price 790.000,- And a 2012 with a asking price 1.150.000,- 360.000 ,- diffrent, but what will be the smart thing to do, if money is not problem? Where will I loose when it comes to selling the bike after 3-5 year?

Difficult to answer, who knows how the market are 5 years down the road.

I would say that you are likely to loose less on the 2007 model as both cars/bikes normally take the biggest drop in value during the first 5 years.

Is the 2007 with the 95" engine and 6 speed gearbox? If yes I think I would go for that if I was you but I am thinking money here.

The 2012 model is that a 102" engine? If yes, nice.

But you said money no problem, newer is better as HD improve their bikes each year, soooo.

Don't forget to haggle and maybe cut 30-50K baht on the asking price but not always posilbe but worth trying.

I would say that you are likely to loose less on the 2007 model as both cars/bikes normally take the biggest drop in value during the first 5 years.

Well, I would think that the opposite was the case? The newest wil still be five years newer, and more aktrativ to potential buyers?

Edited by dagling

Why don't you wait a few months to a year as prices are expected to tumble.

you could say that about everything from smartphones ,laptops ,bikes ,cars etc

theres always a newer one coming out that will make the old one cheaper and less sought after

even if the new one is same spec but differnt colourscheme etc :)

wait till a few more years pass and the 2007 one might be 250k instead of 500k etc but life is short

• Like 2

Why don't you wait a few months to a year as prices are expected to tumble.

Very much doubt the prices on HD will tumble unless they opening up importing for used bikes with no tax or start manufacturing here and knock them out at cheap prices, second hand bikes are in limited supply with high demand for good ones, prices could climb

• Like 1