What's the cause of the bad smell on rural Thailand countryside ?

I'm frequently travelling by motorbike all over Southern Thailand. Very often I encounter a terrible smell in the countryside.

Sometimes I think it might have something to do with the rubber plantation, sometimes it seems to stem from the oil palms.

Can it be the smell of a widely used fertilizer ?

Thanks for your attention and for answering.

Max

For a lot of us living in Isan ,or like me in central Thailand, farming in the south is different from us , and you have rain most of the year.

We do not have palm oil( yet) or rubber , pineapples, have not been there for a few years ,but did notice the difference.

Have they started to spread EM/molasses on the fields? that can pen and ink ( stink) a bit.

Yours Regs.

KS

Thanks for your responses. No explanation yet.

For sure it's not from my motorbike or any burning rubber. It's a strong stench that sometimes stretches over a long distance like one kilometer or more. My guess is: Nitrogen fertilizer. But I'm not sure about that. It hasn't been raining in the South since two month and it cannot be from decomposing dead bodies.

As a non Thai southerner, I can confirm that smell is the rubber. The pick up trucks with the dry rubber sheets don't make that smell as the rubber has been processed with sulphuric acid but the low grade rubber hasn't.

That smell is from the liquid dripping from those pick up trucks with the low grade rubber. A nasty smell for sure. Certain areas have a stronger smell as there's some processing plants along the Asia highway north of Hat Yai.

PS. Do you ride a Kawasaki ER6N? Not too many female bikers round these parts but I saw one at PTT Phatthalung as I was filling up sometime late last year.

• Like 1

rubber for sure ..... u never forget that smell.....

Every 3 days, 2 pickup trucks loaded full of low grade rubber cup cakes drive through the road and the bad smell~~~ Faint~*

At first i thought it was my cat shitting near by...but it was sleeping in the box and pop its sleepy head out and greet me with a yawn~

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Depends what been grown or raised in the area, if rubber trees, then you'll smell that rubbery smell at certain times.... If you go through pig raising areas, such as between Hat Yai and the Sadeo border, you smell piggy poo...

Other crops or animals would produce different smells.... !

For a lot of us living in Isan ,or like me in central Thailand, farming in the south is different from us , and you have rain most of the year.

We do not have palm oil( yet) or rubber , pineapples, have not been there for a few years ,but did notice the difference.

Have they started to spread EM/molasses on the fields? that can pen and ink ( stink) a bit.

Yours Regs.

KS

Hi Kickstarter

Not EM for sure. Know that smell well, as I am also using EM in and around my house.

Yours Regs.

KS

Hi Kickstarter

Not EM for sure. Know that smell well, as I am also using EM in and around my house.

rubber for sure ..... u never forget that smell.....

Every 3 days, 2 pickup trucks loaded full of low grade rubber cup cakes drive through the road and the bad smell~~~ Faint~*

At first i thought it was my cat shitting near by...but it was sleeping in the box and pop its sleepy head out and greet me with a yawn~

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That sounds right. Never came close to the rubber cakes but the smell is in rubber areas.

Another explanation I was given is, it's possibly from the Palm Oil Processing Plants.

They said, they smell very bad, too and the smell is carried by the wind all over a very large area.

Maybe it's a mix of rubber and oil...

As a non Thai southerner, I can confirm that smell is the rubber. The pick up trucks with the dry rubber sheets don't make that smell as the rubber has been processed with sulphuric acid but the low grade rubber hasn't.

That smell is from the liquid dripping from those pick up trucks with the low grade rubber. A nasty smell for sure. Certain areas have a stronger smell as there's some processing plants along the Asia highway north of Hat Yai.

PS. Do you ride a Kawasaki ER6N? Not too many female bikers round these parts but I saw one at PTT Phatthalung as I was filling up sometime late last year.

Thanks Schondie. I think you are right about the rubber smell.

I'm not a female biker but an old chap and my ride is a Honda CB500X.

I'm happy with my bike but a ER6n would make me happy as well. Maybe even happier.

The CB500X seating (or sitting) position is more comfortable for me than the ER6's.

Thanks Schondie. I think you are right about the rubber smell

I'm not a female biker but an old chap and my ride is a Honda CB500X.

I'm happy with my bike but a ER6n would make me happy as well. Maybe even happier.

The CB500X seating (or sitting) position is more comfortable for me than the ER6's.

post-98615-0-91183200-1394459992_thumb.j.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm frequently travelling by motorbike all over Southern Thailand. Very often I encounter a terrible smell in the countryside.

Sometimes I think it might have something to do with the rubber plantation, sometimes it seems to stem from the oil palms.

Can it be the smell of a widely used fertilizer ?

Thanks for your attention and for answering.

Max

Cassava smells bad, very bad. Also chicken sh! t kee gai smells very bad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...