Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

no trace of debris put down to the fact it sunk in 1 piece with everything trapped inside

Scientists on Thursday said they believe they know where Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 crashed into the ocean and that the cabin sank in one piece.

The research by the University of Western Australia, using meteorological and ocean-current data alongside the British analysis from data “pings” recorded by UK firm Inmarsat, determined the point of impact and the movements of debris in the weeks following the crash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10728261/Scientists-believe-they-know-where-MH370-crashed.html

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Agreed.

South Indian Ocean somewhere.

Deliberately flown there based on the information I have read.

Not sure who was responsible, but knowledge of onboard systems required.

Hope they find the data so we can all learn the definitive truth.

The B777 remains a great aircraft and which I have complete faith in whilst at work.

There's 132 pages at the moment, would someone mind giving a quick synopsis of the current "theories" running around please . . . ? smile.png

Here are 10 - http://nypost.com/2014/03/19/top-10-theories-about-what-happened-to-flight-mh370/

Some more - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/navjot-singh/post_7222_b_5056524.html

And if a conspiracy advocate, 12 of them here - http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-10-weird-conspiracy-theories-on-flight-mh370/20140314.htm

biggrin.png

Here's a "what if..."

What if there was a fire, the comms went down, the cockpit crew were overcome, but the autopilot was still on.

Is there a default heading that the autopilot would take if it could not communicate with other systems on the plane?

Would that be south?

post-35489-0-49502600-1396629364.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another issue on the shadow theory, wouldn't a 777 have a fairly significant bow wave that would be felt by the lead plane if the 777 trail plane got close enough to blend radar signals? Seems like that could cause the tail to pitch up or make plane a but nose heavy at least enough to cause a trim change.

beatdeadhorse.gif

I agree. To continue talking about this turbulence BS is like: if there were a mysterious murder in your aunt's living room, and half the commentators could only discuss the tiffany lamp design. give the turbulence, phantom thing a break. It's like a diversion from more important issues in the mystery.

From I've heard thus far, I think it was pilot suicide / mass murder. I could elaborate, but that's how I see it happened.

There are several ways in which a pilot or crew member can indicate something awry on board. None, I repeat none were implemented. Basic monitoring functions were manually disabled, right before and right after the final sign-off.

Whether the pilot was alive to the bitter end, is academic. Similarly, whether some or all of the passengers and crew were alive throughout, is also grist for discussion.

It is a forum for individuals to discuss what they find interesting. Don't take it so seriously. Not like anything we do here will solve the world's problems or find that aircraft if everyone just focuses on what you think they should focus on and nothing else.

Candidly, there is nothing else to discuss as everything has been stated, restated and stated again and most of that is rank speculation BS at this point so why should you judge what is interesting or overstated when you yourself say the same thing over and over and over. The plane is in the South Indian Ocean and I hope they find it. At least the feasibility of radar blending two 777s is an interesting concept over which commercial pilots appear to disagree.

Edited by F430murci

There's 132 pages at the moment, would someone mind giving a quick synopsis of the current "theories" running around please . . . ? smile.png

Here are 10 - http://nypost.com/2014/03/19/top-10-theories-about-what-happened-to-flight-mh370/

Some more - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/navjot-singh/post_7222_b_5056524.html

And if a conspiracy advocate, 12 of them here - http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-10-weird-conspiracy-theories-on-flight-mh370/20140314.htm

biggrin.png

Here's a "what if..."

What if there was a fire, the comms went down, the cockpit crew were overcome, but the autopilot was still on.

Is there a default heading that the autopilot would take if it could not communicate with other systems on the plane?

Would that be south?

attachicon.gifthinking.gif

Hi,

The autopilot flight director system (AFDS) will continue to fly along the programmed route in the flight management computer using lateral navigation (LNAV) until it reaches the end of that route where it then will automatically change from LNAV to heading hold (HDG HOLD)

It will also maintain the current altitude/flight level if no pilot intervention.

It won't turn southbound unless the route is either programmed in that direction or the pilot selects heading or track select.

132 pages in, and still nothing!!! I wonder what the ThaiVisa record is for longest running thread?

As for the topic, it's just amazing to me that, in this world of satellites and radars and sophisticated computers and electronics, etc etc., that something the size of a 777 flying around an inhabited part of the world can simply be made to disappear?

Where's Big Brother when you need him???

Wake turbulance

You guys are talking about wing vortices which I believe would tend to go down and outward, but I was thinking also about turbulance coming off those big engines on a 777. Seems like those could create some problems or at least hit tail of plane flying very close.

I promise you in the photos above the engines were still running. You come from behind and below, find your sweet spot and keep it there. If you sit in the wrong position you hit 'dirty air' and fight like Mike Tyson to keep the aircraft in position (but wont), so you back off and come in for another go. The aircraft in front of you will have no clue you are there unless you want him to or he has a window or hatch in the back like the refueller's.

And Malaysian Airline pilots are routinely trained to do this.

biggrin.png

I doubt it very much. Only Military pilots will do anything this stupid with aircraft wink.png

I'm wondering how many airline pilots in that part of the world are either ex-military or current military reserve pilots.

And Malaysian Airline pilots are routinely trained to do this.

biggrin.png

I doubt it very much. Only Military pilots will do anything this stupid with aircraft wink.png

I'm wondering how many airline pilots in that part of the world are either ex-military or current military reserve pilots.

A difficult one but could be pretty high especially for those mid to late 30's and beyond. It is a nice secure move for a pilot coming out of the Military to move into the commercial sector. In comparison to other employment categories it would be a pretty good salary in this part of the world and the job position would hold a lot of esteem. Long haul would be a pretty cushy job almost guaranteed to 60. Unless they retire as quite senior officers it would be a very likely move for almost all that leave military service as Pilots.

132 pages in, and still nothing!!! I wonder what the ThaiVisa record is for longest running thread?

<snip>

Even the infamous "Rain" thread went to only 107 pages...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/20045-rain/page-107?hl=rain

Although it did run for 5 1/2 years. smile.png

<snip>

As for the topic, it's just amazing to me that, in this world of satellites and radars and sophisticated computers and electronics, etc etc., that something the size of a 777 flying around an inhabited part of the world can simply be made to disappear?

Where's Big Brother when you need him???

It didn't actually disappear, did it.

That's a bit like asking: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

So, just because we don't know where it is, doesn't mean it disappeared or vanished. It's there somewhere, we just haven't found it yet.

And "yet" may be a long, long time.

Edited by JetsetBkk

<snip>

A long way to go to beat this one at 1173 pages - Humorous signs Several other topics well beyond this one in length also.

<snip>

A long way to go to beat this one at 1173 pages - Humorous signs Several other topics well beyond this one in length also.

Should we get back on topic now?

Since we're all tossing out theories, here's one I heard yesterday, from a Singaporean scientist:

She said the plane turned around, and the pilot radioed to Malaysian authorities, something like; "if Anwar Sadat is not set free, I'll crash this plane."

I think it's a loony a theory, but no less than a dozen others on this thread.

Old news been covered allready several times on this forum

Send with Commodore 64

wow, "send {sic} with Commodore 64," that's over 30 years old. Cool, I like retro. Better than that, is everything go back to analog. Dust off the old typewriter and see if the White-Out is still has liquidity in the little black and white bottle. link to commodore 64

I was going to post that the chances of finding the plane are slim, but the Titanic was found.

Is Malaysia footing the entire bill for the search?

They knew almost exactly where to look for the Titanic. There were survivors. Another ship arrived at the point of the sinking to pick them up. The Titanic was in a shipping lane. There wasn't any GPS or satellite surveillance to provide precision, but no mystery (beyond some fairly abstract structural details) about what happened. The two events are not really comparable in terms of the search effort required. And that's assuming the aircraft really is down there west of Australia somewhere, which I think more & more people are going to stop accepting on faith if something's not found.

Jump in and beat me up if I'm wrong, but the impresson I've had is that the Malaysian government, after about the first week or so, decided they just wanted the whole thing to go away and is now pretty much in lip-service mode with not much enthusiasm for a painstaking ongoing investigation or search. 'Reminds me of a certain national police occasionally discussed here on TV...

For the lawyers, what does it take for survivors in a situation like this to be able to collect insurance proceeds and file claims?

Diego Garcia. coffee1.gif

Looks to me more like a problem with the bar stool than the tripod.

Diego Garcia = the new Area 51

Southern Indian Ocean = the new Bermuda Triangle

While we're at it, 'Why aren't there crop circles in Asia?' Do aliens from other planets only pick on rich English-speaking countries like UK and US - to make their amazing artwork? Rice fields are a rather good venue for crop circles. There's one near me which had a mini-twister on it, and the rice plants are beautifully padded down in a football pitch-size symmetrical pattern. Why don't the pranksters who make crop circles - make a commercial signs for a change? McD's would probably pay handsomely to get their golden arches logo displayed, ....or Nike with their logo. And that would prove that crop circles are man-made, but would then take the fun out of imagining they're alien messages.

Jump in and beat me up if I'm wrong, but the impresson I've had is that the Malaysian government, after about the first week or so, decided they just wanted the whole thing to go away and is now pretty much in lip-service mode with not much enthusiasm for a painstaking ongoing investigation or search.

That sounds right to me. I am very skeptical that they are operating under the correct theory or in the right place. That whole area is known as a giant garbage dump of debris, but every time they spot some they act like it is an important find, until it turns out to be just more trash.

While we're at it, 'Why aren't there crop circles in Asia?' Do aliens from other planets only pick on rich English-speaking countries like UK and US - to make their amazing artwork? Rice fields are a rather good venue for crop circles. There's one near me which had a mini-twister on it, and the rice plants are beautifully padded down in a football pitch-size symmetrical pattern. Why don't the pranksters who make crop circles - make a commercial signs for a change? McD's would probably pay handsomely to get their golden arches logo displayed, ....or Nike with their logo. And that would prove that crop circles are man-made, but would then take the fun out of imagining they're alien messages.

I have it on good authority from a source I cannot disclose as my source is not cleared to speak

about these matters however....said source has informed me that the "aliens" are firstly...highly

allergic to what we call water and secondly...the "aliens" find that padi fields (rice fields) are

way too small to carry out the intricate patterns they love to create in the UK & USA. There is

a third and possibly a fourth reason my source mentioned to me but it is very hard to verify;

here's both for your perusal and or Googling...thirdly...the "aliens" are very afraid of carabao

because the "aliens" presence seems to make carabao very agitated and quite angry.

Lastly...and this comes from many "eyewitness interviews" in Southeast Asia...it seems that even

an angry carabao, although the carabao scares the begeezers out of the "aliens", nothing scares

the "aliens" more than a confrontation with a long sharp knife weilding, screaming, eyes bulging

out, snarling/grunting, snot slinging Mrs. Somchai who was rudely awakened from her usual deep

sleep.

Just passing the info...that's all....

I have it on good authority from a source I cannot disclose as my source is not cleared to speak

about these matters however....said source has informed me that the "aliens" are firstly...highly

allergic to what we call water and secondly...the "aliens" find that padi fields (rice fields) are

way too small to carry out the intricate patterns they love to create in the UK & USA. There is

a third and possibly a fourth reason my source mentioned to me but it is very hard to verify;

here's both for your perusal and or Googling...thirdly...the "aliens" are very afraid of carabao

because the "aliens" presence seems to make carabao very agitated and quite angry.

Lastly...and this comes from many "eyewitness interviews" in Southeast Asia...it seems that even

an angry carabao, although the carabao scares the begeezers out of the "aliens", nothing scares

the "aliens" more than a confrontation with a long sharp knife weilding, screaming, eyes bulging

out, snarling/grunting, snot slinging Mrs. Somchai who was rudely awakened from her usual deep

sleep.

Just passing the info...that's all....

Or they are just afraid their cropcircle making skills are going to be copied

Send with Commodore 64

While we're at it, 'Why aren't there crop circles in Asia?' Do aliens from other planets only pick on rich English-speaking countries like UK and US - to make their amazing artwork? Rice fields are a rather good venue for crop circles. There's one near me which had a mini-twister on it, and the rice plants are beautifully padded down in a football pitch-size symmetrical pattern. Why don't the pranksters who make crop circles - make a commercial signs for a change? McD's would probably pay handsomely to get their golden arches logo displayed, ....or Nike with their logo. And that would prove that crop circles are man-made, but would then take the fun out of imagining they're alien

messages.

Just as the Wiltshire pals knew Dug n Dave were hoaxing I have a concern we are not seeing the full picture yet,maybe for good reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle

1 If someone shot it down unlikely to be keen to admit

2 If landed and hostage negotiations ongoing.stalled,tho seems a a long saga

3 No military wish to reveal,negligence or capability to potential enemies

while conspiracies are entertaining, my reading of history leans to the cock up side of history.

I hope for the relatives some closure can occur by if not recovering the bodies at least positive confirmation of the loss.

With no speacial knowledge I doubt the 5 eyaes would be seriously looking if they knew it had exploded/shot down over Asia and adjacent waters.

One boring consequence will be we'll stand in line longer at check in.