BINDGE Drinking

ronthai

I don't know if others here in Thailand (or elsewhere) have this same issue.

I post this here, because it seems the obvious forum, but maybe it should be more a general forum, I will leave that up to the moderator if it needs to be moved.

I do NOT consider myself an alcoholic.

I go for days, 5 to 14 days without drinking anything, no problem, sometimes might have an urged but resist it, purely due to choice and just don't want to go out (and refuse to drink at home).

After any period of time, I do need a drink and go out.

Problem is, I can not stop after the first beer, want the second, up to 5-7 beers and after that the stronger stuff.

Then of course I fell crappy for 1-2 days, too much alcohol, and don't drink again for 5-14 days.

Other example, sometimes not planned end up in a bar, but just can not order a bottle of water and the first beer is there,

well same story un-expected a drinking afternoon/evening.

Why can I stay away from it at home, but not in a bar?

In my opinion I would agree you are not an alcoholic, I say this knowing there will be those that say you are

You are a guy who when he starts drinking can not find a reasonable excuse to stop

I subscribed to excess alcohol for years and very seldom drank at home, mostly because I was never there I was in the pub, and if I was there I usually did not fancy drinking alone

So what to do....well if you feel your drinking is getting out of control when you do drink, you need to fix it....set a target stick to it....I drink lime and soda these days, it rolls off the tongue if I'm asked what I wish to drink, occasionally I'll have an iced tea...I don't agree with those who say stay away from pubs either, just the other week I arranged a meeting in a pub, my friend had a guiness, me, Lime and soda, pint of... .doesn't take long to drop the habit of asking for a chang,Leo,Archer, gin and tonic or whatever....I get a real buzz too when I walk out and know I do not have a problem with entering a pub...I enjoy the feeling of having the strength to cope with temptation....

• Like 2

Perhaps the responsibilities of home keep you from drinking.

"Problem is, I can not stop after the first beer, want the second, up to 5-7 beers and after that the stronger stuff."

Not being able to stop, is indicative of a problem. I binge drank for many years, eventually it escalated into everyday drinking.

I won't pronounce you an alcoholic, I will say that you've got the potential to get into some serious drinking problems. Be careful!

• Like 1

Why can I stay away from it at home, but not in a bar?

For the same reason I can avoid haircuts in my bathroom where I keep a set of clippers, but can't seem to spend any time at all in a barber shop without getting a haircut.

But that's not really my point. The question is whether your drinking is causing problems for you or your loved ones. If it's causing problems in your life, you have a drinking problem. You can "identify" as an alcoholic or not, as only you can decide.

BTW, your experience matches mine- binge drinking- not drinking for weeks or months at a time- and drinking less than most of the people I hung out with. But my symptom was the same- I had no way of knowing (or controlling) whether it was going to be one beer or a 3 day bender. And, regardless of what any barstool buddies tell you- that is not normal. My life got a whole lot better once I no longer had the drinking problem.

EDIT: And on an aside, I can't count how much money I've saved in 25 years since I could go out with $100 in my pocket and wake up the next day with change in my wallet, and not a couple of ATM stubs where I had to withdraw more.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I have been clean and sober for a little over 29 years. I continue to go to AA meetings to this day and help others who think they may have a drinking problem. Trust me my friend, you need to get to an AA meeting, listen to what they have to say and find yourself a sponsor.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue when i was younger, i would binge drink to the extreme, then i could happily go to work and not drink for a while but then go out and feel the need to do it again. I decided that this wasn't right and I just started to become more conscious of what I was drinking.

this was years ago, now I can go to bar and drink lemon tea all night, no problem. I still have the occasional beer or 2 but I have no desire to get drunk. I can the bothered with dealing with the hangover and I feel better for it.

I have 3 friends who are alcoholics, 2 of them have not been drinking now for some time, 1 of them for over a decade. I know how much it ruined their life and how difficult it was to overcome. One last point, I very recently lost a friend to drinking, he was trying to control it but it was a case of too little too late. He caught a chest infection and the alcohol had done a lot of damage to his liver, kidneys etc,, sadly he died as his body had trouble healing and it developed into pneumonia,, he was 44 yeas old.

So, take it seriously, I don't care if others disagree with me. I have seen what alcohol can do if it is not controlled properly, it isn't a pretty site.

If you feel you are going to have difficulty controlling it or giving up completely then go to an AA meeting and get some advice and support.. Right now it sounds like its early days and hasn't escalated into drinking all day everyday so, although i am not an expert I am willing to bet you can get this under control relatively easily with some support and will power.

Good luck, I hope that it all works out for you. You are doing the right thing to question it now.

This is normal, I'll easily smash in 15-20 bottles of beer plus spirits and still knock it in when I get home.

Today perhaps. Hope the same can be said years from now.

"I took a drink. Then the drink took a drink. Then the drink took me".

Easy Does It.

some people compensate on alcohol, others on overeating or excess sex, or excess sport (or all of them, in changing frequency and degree). Because they haven't found any healthier way to compensate. And because they ignored that they were compensating. It's all linked with emotions (stomach). Whatever the brain knows, pretends or claims, if emotions are too strong, they will prevail. The stomach is called the "second brain". If emotions are erratic, the (first) brain will not work properly. It's all about loving oneself really and listening the message of one's body in an unbiaised way, through conscience, and not from the ego and its lacquer, the mental. (Be like the scientist observing a chemical reaction in a lab, without hating or loving the chemical reaction that takes place in the tube).

Don't care too much about it, the way you do is the way I do for the last 15 years or maybe more, accept what you are, accept what people may think about you.

I am 66, I drink a lot when I want, I don't drink when I want, 15 years ago I went drinking and get drunk 3 to 4 times a week( day or night or day and night), now reduced to 2 times and only daytime, it's not always fun to getting older.

Edited by luckyluke

I am an alcoholic; I have no hang-ups in knowing that as a fact. I was a binge drinker, and the OP describes exactly my behavioural pattern.My last drink, I came to having lost a complete weekend, full of shame, guilt and fear as to what might have happened. That was when I broke through the denial; a big element in my drinking. AA found me, and I've been sober since, Get your ass to an AA meeting and listen to the similarities of your experience. You don't have to pick up the next drink, ever - but do it one day at a time. Best O' luck.

• Like 1

People who cannot avoid drinking for 1 or 2 months at least are alcoholic whatever other people will say.

So 90% are alcoholics? And people who drink a glass of wine to the dinner once or twice every month are alcoholics?

Why should people avoid a beer or a glass of wine if they don't have any problems with alcohol?

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

Why does everyone get hung on on whether or not they are an alcoholic. It is just a word that is used to describe problem drinking. It is not like pregnancy where you either are or are not but is a term to designate a medical condition that some drinkers have

If you are a binge drinker then you are an alcoholic period, full stop. Normal people don't binge drink, normal people can walk away from a half empty glass at a bar or cafe, normal people don't have to get drunk every time they drink

If you don't want to call yourself an alcoholic then that is your preference but it is obvious to me that you feel you have a drinking problem or you would not be posting in an open forum

There is no cure for alcoholism, only the awareness that certain people cannot control their drinking and it will only get worse as time goes by. So far you have taken the first step, now it is up to you to choose whether or not your are going to quit entirely or continue and watch and see if all those things that you say are not happening to you now, start happening to you in the future.

Unfortunately I can guarantee you that they will since the other insidious part of alcoholism is that it is a progressive disease with the final outcome being death

Why would he be an alcoholic?Because he feel comfortable and relaxed when he stay at a bar? or because he enjoys the taste of an alcoholic drink now and then and let himself go.

I'm sure there must be a similar word then for people who enjoy dinner buffets.

I'm almost similar to the OP. For the first 14 years of my stay in Thailand i went out every night 7 days a week till 7-8 am. Spending 1500 - 2000 each night on drinks only.

For the past 5 years i have been out maybe 10 times in total and buy a bottle of what I like every 2 - 3 weeks or so, but when I have the bottle at home it will be emptied in 2 - 3 nights maximum, because I enjoy the taste and relaxation, so don't restrict myself. When the bottle is empty I may buy a next one in another 2 - 3 weeks. I can't remember I've been drinking alcohol before 7pm as long as I stay here.

Am I also an alcoholic ? I don't think so .

I'm Celtic and used to like a wee dram or two and then get in party mode: the songs, the stories, the jokes, the poetry, quoting the great Irish and Scots authors and their often brilliant insights into the human condition- but perhaps I got to like it too much. I thought hello perhaps this pleasure is becoming a vice. I had read somewhere that the path to addiction was- more, more of and more often. I also read Blake's words that the road to excess can also lead to the palace of wisdom so I went to some AA meetings and received this piece of advice and I quote from a fellow celt - I don't give a tinkers arse if you come home and find your wife in bed with the milkman or if she comes home and find you in bed with the milkman don't drink that first drink or you'll be <deleted>.

take this advice for what its worth

• Like 2

I'm Celtic and used to like a wee dram or two and then get in party mode: the songs, the stories, the jokes, the poetry, quoting the great Irish and Scots authors and their often brilliant insights into the human condition- but perhaps I got to like it too much. I thought hello perhaps this pleasure is becoming a vice. I had read somewhere that the path to addiction was- more, more of and more often. I also read Blake's words that the road to excess can also lead to the palace of wisdom so I went to some AA meetings and received this piece of advice and I quote from a fellow celt - I don't give a tinkers arse if you come home and find your wife in bed with the milkman or if she comes home and find you in bed with the milkman don't drink that first drink or you'll be <deleted>.

take this advice for what its worth

Your fellow Celt must have been properly pissed at the time he gave you such an incomprehensible advice.

As a general personal rule, I do not binge drink in foreign countries. I am afraid of the possible consequences (theft, robbery, random beating, me being an ass, etc).

I have read far too many stories on this website of people being attacked/robbed at 3am while walking down the street.

Why does everyone get hung on on whether or not they are an alcoholic. It is just a word that is used to describe problem drinking. It is not like pregnancy where you either are or are not but is a term to designate a medical condition that some drinkers have

If you are a binge drinker then you are an alcoholic period, full stop. Normal people don't binge drink, normal people can walk away from a half empty glass at a bar or cafe, normal people don't have to get drunk every time they drink

If you don't want to call yourself an alcoholic then that is your preference but it is obvious to me that you feel you have a drinking problem or you would not be posting in an open forum

There is no cure for alcoholism, only the awareness that certain people cannot control their drinking and it will only get worse as time goes by. So far you have taken the first step, now it is up to you to choose whether or not your are going to quit entirely or continue and watch and see if all those things that you say are not happening to you now, start happening to you in the future.

Unfortunately I can guarantee you that they will since the other insidious part of alcoholism is that it is a progressive disease with the final outcome being death

Why would he be an alcoholic?Because he feel comfortable and relaxed when he stay at a bar? or because he enjoys the taste of an alcoholic drink now and then and let himself go.

I'm almost similar to the OP. For the first 14 years of my stay in Thailand i went out every night 7 days a week till 7-8 am. Spending 1500 - 2000 each night on drinks only.

For the past 5 years i have been out maybe 10 times in total and buy a bottle of what I like every 2 - 3 weeks or so, but when I have the bottle at home it will be emptied in 2 - 3 nights maximum, because I enjoy the taste and relaxation, so don't restrict myself. When the bottle is empty I may buy a next one in another 2 - 3 weeks. I can't remember I've been drinking alcohol before 7pm as long as I stay here.

You don't mention whether or not you can stop drinking once you've started drinking alcohol. If you can't stop drinking, then yes, you are probably an alcoholic.

• Like 2

Perhaps the responsibilities of home keep you from drinking.

"Problem is, I can not stop after the first beer, want the second, up to 5-7 beers and after that the stronger stuff."

Not being able to stop, is indicative of a problem. I binge drank for many years, eventually it escalated into everyday drinking.

I won't pronounce you an alcoholic, I will say that you've got the potential to get into some serious drinking problems. Be careful!

....what's an 'alcoholic', then...?

You don't mention whether or not you can stop drinking once you've started drinking alcohol. If you can't stop drinking, then yes, you are probably an alcoholic.

I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one.

If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full.

For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking.

Alcoholics are obsessed with alcohol and cannot control how much they consume, even if it is causing serious problems at home, work, and financially.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/157163.php

I am not obsessed with alcohol, it just happens that sometimes I like it. I drink when I want and I decide how much I will consume( usually till I am drunk), I don't have serious problems at home, I am retired and I am quite O.K. financially, so I am not a alcoholic, not that I care about what I am or/and what people are thinking.

• Like 1

I mentioned that I don't see a reason to stop something I enjoy. But When I don't have a drink for weeks in kine, I also don't have any craving for one.

If that is your definition of an addict, then how do you call someone who goes to a restaurant and stays there for hours ordering delicious foods, until he's full.

For me an alcoholic is someone who can't go a few days without alcohol, and drinks to drink, not someone who enjoys what he's drinking.

You don't get to define what an alcoholic is that is done by professionals who don't have an axe to grind

• Like 1

You don't get to define what an alcoholic is that is done by professionals who don't have an axe to grind

Professionals as in some stranger who gonna dictate how someone has to run his life.

Are that the same professionals who say that smoking is bad for you because of the nicotine, then advise to smoke electronic cigarettes, which contain even more of the bad stuff.

I think Luckyluke has said it very well, couldn't have formulated it better.