Identification

DD13

I know that there is a "Thread" running about the requirement to carry "passports"

In view of the importance of "our" passports.....and with the current tragedy of the missing Malaysian plane.....where there is now a suggestion that two of the passengers were travelling on "stolen" passports..... (lost in Thailand )....and that it may have been the work of terrorists

Perhaps it would be an idea for countries to issue "Alien ID cards......" to "long stay" expats......

I for one.... rightly or wrongly...... never carry my passport, but rely on my "Thai" drivers licence.....

I would much rather "face the music "with the authorities ......should I ever get "pulled up" by the police......than run the risk of losing this "most important" of documents

Edited by DD13

Some countries do issue such cards but thailand hasn't even been able to form a stable government in 10 years so they've got other things on their plate right now than overhauling their immigration system.

Thai drivers license is fine for most situations and if get pinched by a hard ass cop just have someone produce the passport and pay the fine. As you say, better than loosing it and having to go through the hassle of getting a new one.

PS: Lived in Thailand for 15 years and done my share of partying in tourist areas and owned and driven cars all over the country and never once stopped by a copper and asked for any ID/passport. Doesn't mean won't happen tomorrow but the odds of it ever happening are vanishingly small.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Despite all those legal experts who maintain otherwise, I am personally quite convinced that the Thai law requires aliens to carry their passports with them at all times.

In any event, I would hardly be in position to challenge the police, should they demand to see my passport.

That being said, since I returned to Thailand in 2,000, there has not been a single occasion when any policeman has ever asked to see my passport - not even during the years when I was drinking and carousing on a nightly basis in the bars of Bangkok, Pattaya and elsewhere until the small hours.

But I am complexly with the OP on this.

I always carry my driving licence and a laminated copy of my passport which also shows my current visa extension. In the unlikely event that the cops are not satisfied with either of these, then so be it. I would rather go through the inconvenience of being held until my passport can be brought along , than stand the risk of a corrupt cop or anyone else arbitrarily seizing it.

But as I say, the risk of this happening is so small as to not be worth worrying about. My passport stays at home. Period.

• Like 1