Phuket Opinion: Road safety: what we’re doing wrong

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Road safety: what we’re doing wrong
Phuket Gazette -
If we want safer roads, there are three things we need to change, says Thanapong Jinvong, Director of the Academy of Road Safety. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

1_20143814559828_HnsiWTrzRLABVlKTHICUSvN
Thanapong Jinvong, 50, is Director of the Academy of Road Safety at the National Health Foundation and also works at the Department of Disease Control. He graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University with a specialization in epidemiology.

Here, he talks about three ways to improve road safety in Thailand, which ranks third in the world for road deaths.

PHUKET: We’re doing three things wrong with regard to road safety: We often don’t determine the true cause of accidents, our driver’s licence laws are too lax and we allow our children to drive before they’re mature enough to know their limits.

If we don’t know the real cause of accidents, we can’t take the appropriate steps to prevent them. The media, police and insurance companies all share the blame for this.

Let’s start with the media – they are the ones who tell the story to the public. They have the power to influence how people think about accidents – how they come about, who is responsible and so on.

Generally speaking, the media is satisfied with the following explanations: the victim was at fault, it was unpreventable, it had a mysterious cause. For example, if the driver was drunk or going fast, that’s enough for the reporter. Those are likely contributing factors to an accident, but of course they may not be the whole story.

“Unpreventable” accidents, according to the media, are those caused by weather or mechanical problems.

With mysterious causes, the media plays with people’s beliefs. For example, in Phattalung recently a man died after an accident on a dangerous curve. He wasn’t wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the car. Wearing a seatbelt, he might have survived. But instead of saying that, the headline said
“Fortune teller said it was his time to die”.

The media needs to stop being satisfied with these explanations. They need to put aside what looks good in a headline and dig deeper.

This is important for two reasons: first, the public learns the truth about accidents, and second, police will be forced to investigate more thoroughly. If the reporters ask more questions, police will have to ask more questions too.

And let’s not forget the role of insurance companies. They need to back off a little and let police investigate first instead of trying to settle cases as quickly as possible.

The second thing we are doing wrong concerns driver’s licences: they are too easy to get and too easy for unsafe drivers to keep.

The Land Transportation Office has to make it harder to get a licence by increasing the amount of driver-training required. Then people would really know the traffic laws before they start driving.

And they shouldn’t allow new drivers to drive at night.

Finally, people who drive drunk should have their licences revoked. That’s the way to send the message that drunk driving is absolutely unacceptable.

And speaking of alcohol, the last area we need to focus on is young people drinking and driving. When we consider the number of young people who drink and their attitudes towards alcohol, we can see that we have a problem.

Consider this statistic: The number of young people aged 15-19 who drink has been increasing since 1996. As for attitudes, university students in a survey said that even after drinking two bottles of beer or 300ml of whiskey, they can drive unimpaired. In an informal survey we did of people who had been maimed in road accidents, 75 per cent were 13-30 years old. In the alcohol-related cases, many of the men said that they drove drunk because they didn’t want their friends to know they couldn’t. Many of the women said that they were afraid to say no when asked to get in a car with a drunk driver.
Parents: take heed.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Opinion-Road-safety-what-we-re-doing-wrong-27791.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-09

• Like 1

How to fix the problem?

Offer in Germany, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Netherland, Austria, etc that retired police officers can work in Thailand...they get free accommodation and visa. All fees are shared 50/50 between the Germans and the Thais. The Germans get some temporary very high Thai police rank and the guarantee that it has no consequences if they shoot Thai police officers in self defense.

Sure there are enough horny retired German police officers who know how to fix the problem for almost no money.

• Like 2

Bring in a COMPULSORY "L" and "P" plate system.

"L" plate drivers must show this on their vehicle at all times, and be accompanied by an experienced, licenced driver. No driving at all after dark, absolutely no alcohol.

One the Learner driver has sufficient experience, he has another, comprehensive road test and also a thorough test on the traffic rules.

Then he gets a "P" plate, and there are restrictions on this: number of passengers, hours of driving, again, no alcohol.

Age is important, and no driving at all if you are below 17, 16 in some countries.
Further tests at a higher level to get a full licence.

This plan is hardly original on my part. Most, if not all, Western countries have a similar system.

• Like 1

Almost every other country has very strict traffic enforcement. Some obviously don't but that's not the point. Traffic police need to do just that, enforce traffic laws. And not after an accident. It needs to be driven home to all people who are in Thailand.

People need to be "told" not encouraged but "told", you pull over and stop for an ambulance, police car or fire truck when their "reds lights and siren" are on. Or else you get a ticket for failure to yield. If you don't you are in deep crap if you are caught. No more of this standing at intersections or check points looking for violators.

Thailand needs a "Traffic Court". Not just pay the officer and walk away. Be it the same day or the next day, whatever it takes. If you don't show up, your car is impounded and license suspended.

This works in developed nations so it can work here. It's a matter of saving lives not just raising revenue. Which by the way, I could make a small fortune if I could give out traffic tickets. JMHO

• Like 2

Almost every other country has very strict traffic enforcement. Some obviously don't but that's not the point. Traffic police need to do just that, enforce traffic laws. And not after an accident. It needs to be driven home to all people who are in Thailand.

People need to be "told" not encouraged but "told", you pull over and stop for an ambulance, police car or fire truck when their "reds lights and siren" are on. Or else you get a ticket for failure to yield. If you don't you are in deep crap if you are caught. No more of this standing at intersections or check points looking for violators.

Thailand needs a "Traffic Court". Not just pay the officer and walk away. Be it the same day or the next day, whatever it takes. If you don't show up, your car is impounded and license suspended.

This works in developed nations so it can work here. It's a matter of saving lives not just raising revenue. Which by the way, I could make a small fortune if I could give out traffic tickets. JMHO

A pity that the appropriate minister doesn't get to see what us farangs think.

Yep they should ask for advice - better than paying Tony Blair...

A pity that the appropriate minister doesn't get to see what us farangs think.

Agree.

More important though is that a start has to be made with driver education before people get on the road.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting insight that touches on some salient points but misses the target by a mile.

There was little or no mention regarding the failure of the police to enforce traffic laws rigorously and for the judiciary to punish offenders including the police for usurping their position and taking bribes. If the public and the police were to come to the point where they new that transgressions of the law will result in serious actions against them and it would be swift and sure,then you would get a better result than simply talking about the problem. Until you fix both the judiciary and the police force it will simply be business as usual in Thailand.

• Like 1

Excuses, excuses, heard all these reasons before. I've lived in Thailand since 2001 and in Phuket 7 years, rarely ever see a police officer giving out speeding tickets, no tickets for drivers with no helmets on motorcycles (except farangs), etc., etc. It mostly has to do with saving face in Thailand, even if a truck driver flees and accident, the police wait for him to turn himself in, accountability is next to nothing here. SO I drive my car between 40 to 50 at all times in the slow lane as 99% of everyone else zips around me.

• Like 2

Interesting insight that touches on some salient points but misses the target by a mile.

There was little or no mention regarding the failure of the police to enforce traffic laws rigorously and for the judiciary to punish offenders including the police for usurping their position and taking bribes. If the public and the police were to come to the point where they new that transgressions of the law will result in serious actions against them and it would be swift and sure,then you would get a better result than simply talking about the problem. Until you fix both the judiciary and the police force it will simply be business as usual in Thailand.

First of all at checkpoints everybody without helmet is fined.

But most importantly, it sounds like you're one of the persons who should not be on the road. Driving 40-50 really is asking for others to be surprised and take risks. You sound just like my wife, slowly slowly'. No, driving at about the same speed as the other traffic is much safer.

First of all at checkpoints everybody without helmet is fined.

But most importantly, it sounds like you're one of the persons who should not be on the road. Driving 40-50 really is asking for others to be surprised and take risks. You sound just like my wife, slowly slowly'. No, driving at about the same speed as the other traffic is much safer.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that as soon as the sun has set, safety helmets are removed and either left at home or hung on the handle bars.

The same logic occurs in other parts of Asia, but the reasons have yet to be made clear to me, apart from one a student told me about, and that's 'because the police have all gone home'.

Personally, if the Government and the Police did their job, there'd be an immediate crack-down, no excuses, bikes impounded for drivers with no helmets. It would only take days for the message to sink in.

The deaths of the young folk could be reduced dramatically.

The press could play their part, by publicising the need for head protection. The concrete does not soften after sunset.

Hello....anybody in there????????

We do know the causes of accidents....WE DO KNOW......

Any speed is OK.

Driving while on the phone or texting is OK.

Stopping on a main road with blinking lights is Ok.

U-Turns anywhere are ok

Crossing lines anywhere is OK

Double parking on main roads is Ok

Passing cars anywhere at any speed is OK..

Driving drunk is OK

Where does this BOZO come from????

The kids driving is probably the less dangerous situation in Thailand....

Edited by Andre0720
  • Like 1

Excuses, excuses, heard all these reasons before. I've lived in Thailand since 2001 and in Phuket 7 years, rarely ever see a police officer giving out speeding tickets, no tickets for drivers with no helmets on motorcycles (except farangs), etc., etc. It mostly has to do with saving face in Thailand, even if a truck driver flees and accident, the police wait for him to turn himself in, accountability is next to nothing here. SO I drive my car between 40 to 50 at all times in the slow lane as 99% of everyone else zips around me.

Thailand: The hub of 'doing anything to save face no matter how stupid it makes me look'.

Accountabilty, responabilty. Not in Thailand! Always somebody else.Childrens attitude.

Why not get to the root of the problem....it's parenting and lack thereof....and of course now Thailand has a law where parents can not beat their children....and just wait, the worst is yet to come....just like the the <deleted> US. They passed the same law and now students don't obey anyone including their parents....they do want they want.... I always laugh at thaiand for always wanting to be just like the western countries....suck it up now...idiots.

• Like 1

Hmmm. The only problem on the roads here in Phuket is there is no policing and thus quintessential anarchy.

There are lots and lots of police here. You see them everywhere on the roads. But their is ZERO policing.

Are you serious? There are many problems on the roads here in Phuket.

1. Road conditions

2. Underage drivers/riders of bikes

3. No road rules

4. Lack of ability

5. Commonsense

6. Policing

7. Speed

8. Training

And the list goes on. These arn't just the problems here, but the problems throughout the entire country.

• Like 1

Hi , I am driving motorbike on phuket almost 10 years, and I see many wrong things. A few time I count on the road every time i see a mistake .. well it was always an average of 1 per 2 min

most dangerous things :

1. bad, unprofessional driving of cars, especially turning without looking left and right behind first (who gave them licences ? totally different in bangkok, driving good)

2. Motorbikes that don't stay left side of the road, I recommend more a separate lane where the should stay in,! driving behind cars, middle of the road, without helmet

3. Cars that come to far out of the soi, blocking more than half of the lane, or parked cars leaving there place without waiting till no vehicle is coming

4. cutting corners or crossing the road to diagonally to early that ends up in driving against the traffic

5 driving true red lights 5 sec before the counter goes on green

+ lots of other less dangerous but bad behavior

so please government

1. give license only to people that KNOW and CARRY OUT all the safety rules

2. make the roads more good and safe , separate lanes where dangerous and preventions to cross or cut road , where no soi, repair potholes

3. police control more these 5 points instead of only driver license on the same places

Thank you, for saving more drama's

If you add together the original post plus a lot of other posts from TV members and analyse them, you will surely see what needs to be done. Unfortunately you will also notice that many of the suggestions involve the police............. and that's where the trouble starts.

If they enforced the laws, then this would be a safer place altogether, as would Thailand. However embedded corruption and laziness, lack of skill and clarity of thought mean that this will never happen.

The corruption flows through to the fitness of some vehicles to be on the road and the mechanical condition of them, and the outcomes have been plain for all to see.

Some good words by the author of the original post, however not covering all of the details, and surely not taking into consideration one very important point – – TIT!!!