English teachers recruiting

Not exactly the same. Our program will be 4 years in Thailand.

Interesting. Details please?

It's not unique.

Our Thai University has been doing this for two years already.

Once a student completes our course, (three years in Thailand, and one in France), they receive 3 degrees: one from our university, one from the French college, and one from an Australian University.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400,000 is tuition for all four years. It does not include accommodation. The university is located in suburban BKK. Foreign teachers will be hired and sent by the US university, so I am not sure. They have a big program in China.

Thanks, Mods.

Edited by brucetefl

To Scott's earlier question, I think we would make commissions 8,000 immediately and 4,000 for each of the following 3 years.

Changing the rules, brucetefl?

This was in your OP.

My crazy idea is to pay English teachers are recruiting fee of 20,000 baht for students they can bring in.
  • Like 2

8,000 + 4,000 + 4,000 + 4,000 = 20,000

But, as I also mentioned, this is all just speculation and discussion now.

I understand but now the recruiter is made responsible for the quality of the program. If a student leaves the program in the second year because the student considers the quality of the program as sub-standard, the recruiter will not get his commission. Right?

• Like 2

It's my opinion that anyone that decides to recommend/sell anything needs to take a close and thoughtful look at what it is they are trying to recommend/sell. This includes everything from steak knives to university degree programs. Because when you recommend/sell something to someone you are putting your own reputation on the line. So before anyone should seriously consider becoming an agent, and we're really not making the offer yet, they would need to thoughtfully examine the program and meet the people involved as well as visit the University. And I can tell you one thing that is an absolute certainty: the decision shouldn't be made based upon speculation and rumor from an Internet discussion forum.

Edited by brucetefl

Well, if I have to pray and go to the dang temple and give 20 baht each time, hoping that the student does not leave within the 3 years allotted, then it is not worth my time and effort to recruit said lazy bastard to be in this program.

Other programs with the similar scheme you mention pay %100 once the student signs, leaves a deposit. That is the end of that recruitment. That gives the recruiter time to continue searching, introducing, talking, begging for the next 20k.

Just sayin'. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Somtamnication
  • Like 1

"Other programs with the similar scheme you mention pay %100 once the student signs, leaves a deposit."

Somtamnication, do you have any links for these kinds of places? No reason to wait for a start up when jobs might already be available.

Shouldn't be any reason someone couldn't recruit for several places if their programs are dissimilar enough.

Bruce, as mentioned earlier, the tuition cost is very reasonable. Maybe too reasonable. It's less than some programs already here that use foreign teachers that don't have to be sent here from the US.

Terry

35-45k baht a semester is typical for International University programs some higher but they carry bigger names so overall the price is fair but not great. I guess the real issue would be the accredidation of the joint schools. A well known local program is bertter than a no name western uni. I think the problem with recruiting for me would be to recommend a program to students that trust me when the program is unknown. I probably could get 20 students tomorrow to join a good program but if I recommend something that isn't up to standard, my rep. would be ruined.

Overall 20k a student is reasonable however I do get closer to 50-60k baht a student for sending them to American Schools but if there is more interest then the workload would be easier. As stated should be paid in full after student has registered and paid for first year.

Good luck with the program and if it does materialize please post again. Coordinating joint programs with different schools is a nightmare. I have been directly involved with 2 such ventures that went under after only a few years.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK good to know. Maybe we will decide to go that route instead.

Wouldn't TVF members be the best possible candidates for the teaching/headhunting positions? An honest question.-biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

TVF is probably the forum with the most members and visits. And a forum is only as good as its moderators. I do not come here very often but I find the moderators here very fair and professional. Well done!

"Other programs with the similar scheme you mention pay %100 once the student signs, leaves a deposit."

Somtamnication, do you have any links for these kinds of places? No reason to wait for a start up when jobs might already be available.

Shouldn't be any reason someone couldn't recruit for several places if their programs are dissimilar enough.

Bruce, as mentioned earlier, the tuition cost is very reasonable. Maybe too reasonable. It's less than some programs already here that use foreign teachers that don't have to be sent here from the US.

Terry

I have been exploring a US university partnership for quite some time. There were several options but this one was by far the most flexible and affordable. Thats why I chose it!

35-45k baht a semester is typical for International University programs some higher but they carry bigger names so overall the price is fair but not great. I guess the real issue would be the accredidation of the joint schools. A well known local program is bertter than a no name western uni. I think the problem with recruiting for me would be to recommend a program to students that trust me when the program is unknown. I probably could get 20 students tomorrow to join a good program but if I recommend something that isn't up to standard, my rep. would be ruined.

Overall 20k a student is reasonable however I do get closer to 50-60k baht a student for sending them to American Schools but if there is more interest then the workload would be easier. As stated should be paid in full after student has registered and paid for first year.

Good luck with the program and if it does materialize please post again. Coordinating joint programs with different schools is a nightmare. I have been directly involved with 2 such ventures that went under after only a few years.

I would disagree a bit here. I know a lot of Thais who went overseas and paid big bucks to study at a "non name" US university. Getting a US degree is quite prestigious in Thailand, but also very expensive--total cost is 2 million baht but can also be much more. It is limited to the hi so crowd.

And that is why this program will be so different. We will target middle class Thai. Of course you can get much more for sending kids to the US, but there simply are not many kids who can afford to go and have the English ability. So from a recruiting perspective, send one to the US and earn 40k or send 20 to our program and earn 400k.

This university has been operating in China for nearly 15 years now and have their systems down. And on our end, I and my team will run things. I am sure there will be hiccups but I am confident the partnership will succeed.

Terry

None at the top of my head. I read about this for years now. Nothing new.

One of the news sponsors here pays commission for recruiting interns overseas to work at hotels here, also.

• Like 1

A middle of the road US university is better than every university in Thailand, probably Asia. And studying in the US at any US university will probably cost about 1.5 million baht minimum. But that is not my reason for this thread.

You did not ask a question. You incorrectly stated that the BA TESOL had not yet been approved by the MOE.

If you want to ask and discuss in a civilized manner, I am happy to discuss. If not just go troll somewhere else.

Wow, that's possibly the most delusional statement I have heard in a long while. Asia has over 50 universities within the top 300 in the world. Thailand only has 2 in the top 300 but within those are subjects which score within the top 50 in the world.

• Like 1

Yes I posted it already.

ALTHOUGH no Thai universities appear in the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings top 100 this year, at least two are ranked just outside the top 200.

The two institutes are Chulalongkorn and Mahidol universities.

"All other Thai universities, including Thammasat University, are ranked outside the top 400," Phil Baty said in his capacity as editor of the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.

Edited by brucetefl

I think people might doubt the credibility of this setup when students are accepted without even showing a reasonable IELTS score of 5 or 6 to study in the first year, which would be the bare minimum to get a passing understanding of the subjects they will face in English instruction. And when two universities agree to turn a blind eye when insisting the students have a reasonable level of English ability on entrance, I have to wonder how much more they are going to compromise when it comes to actually giving students a true education. You asked for opinions, and mine is that there is too much of a chance that people will see diplomas issued from these universities as ones equivalent to Khao San Road University degrees or those ordered and delivered solely on "experience", i.e. bogus ones.

• Like 1

I think people might doubt the credibility of this setup when students are accepted without even showing a reasonable IELTS score of 5 or 6 to study in the first year, which would be the bare minimum to get a passing understanding of the subjects they will face in English instruction. And when two universities agree to turn a blind eye when insisting the students have a reasonable level of English ability on entrance, I have to wonder how much more they are going to compromise when it comes to actually giving students a true education. You asked for opinions, and mine is that there is too much of a chance that people will see diplomas issued from these universities as ones equivalent to Khao San Road University degrees or those ordered and delivered solely on "experience", i.e. bogus ones.

From what I've read, I do not clearly understand it OP is looking for teachers to provide grade 12 students for a BA, or people who are interested in upgrading their educational background to a Master's in Education.

Please see other post. I can only assume that the OP isn't quite sure about his goals right now and in a phase of orientation .There's just too much theory about other universities.

Thank you very much for clarification, brucefefl.

pay English teachers are recruiting fee of 20,000 baht for students they can bring in.

How would this affect their work permits?

Good point! It would very likely be in breach of their work permits as work permits are issued with very defined restrictions about what you can do and where you can do it, right down to an address. The only way I can see it being totally legal is if the OP arranged work permits for every fee earner he uses, and that would be unlikely, at the best.

I can see some people agreeing with you. Of course, the readers of this forum are not really our target student base. And you ignore the fact that this can be a bilingual degree, with 50% of content in Thai and the fact that the IELTS or TOEFL are required, but not until after year one.

Because this degree has a bi-lingual option, the IELTS or TOEFL are not required until after year one, but they are required to go on to year two. I see this as a massive benefit. Because, lets face it, 95% of Thai students who finish M6 are not going to get a score high enough right out of school. But after spending a year with substantial English content they might very well be capable of getting a high score.

English programs can be intimidating for Thai students. This "soft start" will lessen the anxiety and make far more students capable of enrolling.

For me, I couldn't care less how well they speak English when they start. Its how they finish that matters.

And before someone calls me on the "95%" figure, its just a guess.

Edited by brucetefl