Non B - Expire soon - Re-entry Emergency

Hi all.

Due to a death in the family last night, I have to return to the UK asap.

I currently hold a Non-Imm B visa tied to a work permit. The visa expires on the 29th March, so I won't be able to get a re-entry permit.

The visa was going to be renewed as per usual in the next few weeks, but I can't wait until then to return. I don't want to return here on a tourist visa then have to go to Laos, as that is a huge pain in the arse (and I will be quite busy after I return here).

I don't really have much time to search through this forum or go to immigration to discuss my options right now as I have so many other things to sort out. Which is why I am appealing to you all for advice.

I'm guessing I might be able to apply for a non-imm B over in the UK if I have the right documents right? What would I need and how long would it take as I don't want to be in the UK for very long (1-2weeks at the most)?

If I appeal to the immigration officer's better nature, do you think I would have a chance at getting a re-entry? I expect not, but has it been done before or is it a strict requirement to have at least 1 month left on the visa?

Thanks in advance.

You can still get a re-entry permit that would be valid until the 29th. There is no minimum time period to get one.

If you are only going to be gone for a week or 2 you would be back in time to do your extension.

You could possibly get a single entry non-b with your work permit and company documents while you are in the UK. See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

If you will be flying out of Bangkok you can get a re-entry permit at both airports on departure 24 hours a day. You don't need anything other than 1200 baht and your passport because they do the photos and copies.

Unfortunately this problem has become more complicated.

I will have to be in the UK around the 20th - 24th. This means that I will probably not be back here in Thailand until 29th at the earliest.

This will not leave me enough time to apply for the renewed work permit before the visa expires as it takes (in reality) 8 working days where I live to get a new work permit.

I guess that this means that getting a Non-Imm B extension is impossible, and I would have to leave the Kingdom and apply for a non-imm B at the embassy in London before I return. However, my work permit would have expired by then, so I would have to apply with a letter of a new job offer and the proposed contract, then I can apply for a new work permit once I arrive in Thailand. Is that right?

Is there a more painless way of doing this as getting to London in the time period will be difficult (and rather annoying).

Unfortunately this problem has become more complicated.

I will have to be in the UK around the 20th - 24th. This means that I will probably not be back here in Thailand until 29th at the earliest.

This will not leave me enough time to apply for the renewed work permit before the visa expires as it takes (in reality) 8 working days where I live to get a new work permit.

I guess that this means that getting a Non-Imm B extension is impossible, and I would have to leave the Kingdom and apply for a non-imm B at the embassy in London before I return. However, my work permit would have expired by then, so I would have to apply with a letter of a new job offer and the proposed contract, then I can apply for a new work permit once I arrive in Thailand. Is that right?

Is there a more painless way of doing this as getting to London in the time period will be difficult (and rather annoying).

Your employer should use form WP5 (TT5 attached below) to apply to renew your WP before the 29th March, explaining that you are outside of Thailand and will return with a new 90 day non 'b' visa/entry shortly after the 29th.

You take your WP5 Filing Receipt, a copy of your WP (and the original if Labour will let you take it) plus all the non 'B' application papers with you to the UK, you then apply for a 90 day single entry non 'b' whilst there, see link below for required papers:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Return to Thailand, get the 90 day non 'b' stamp and use this to pick up your renewed WP.

Another somewhat easier option is to apply to renew your WP before you leave Thailand then go to Immigration to file for renewal of your extension - if all is ok you will get a conditional approval for 30 days from the 29th March, get a single re-entry permit to do your trip to the UK, then return to immigration before the 28th April to get the one year balance of your extension.

If you will be flying out of Bangkok you can get a re-entry permit at both airports on departure 24 hours a day. You don't need anything other than 1200 baht and your passport because they do the photos and copies.

------------------------

That's correct as ubonjoe usually is.

But just check in for your flight early with enough time to get your re-entry permit, because I understand they want you to be checked in before you get your permit.

I've never actually got a re-entry at the airport, I've always done mine before at immigration in Bangkok.

And a single permit is 1200 because it's 1000 for the permit and 200 for the photo and the copies of your passport done right there at the airport,

At least that's what I've been told.

That's great, thanks for the quick and detailed responses. smile.png

So, I will go to the labour office tomorrow to see if they can get the wp renewal process started. Then I'll go to immigration (presumably with some kind of proof that the WP renewal process has begun) and see if they will grant me a conditional visa extension and re-entry permit based on that.

Edited by TehBen

Unfortunately, the immigration officers here will not extend a non-b based on an unfinished WP renewal; they want to see a finished renewed work permit. I don't know what the law states, but they say that it is not possible.

Apparently, however, I can apply for a 60 day extension as I am married to a Thai citizen.

To do that I need copies of my passport, my wife's ID card, a TM7 form and a copy of a tabien ban. However, since I do not have a tabien ban, and my wife's tabien ban is for her mother's house in another province, I'm still not sure what to do...

Unfortunately, the immigration officers here will not extend a non-b based on an unfinished WP renewal; they want to see a finished renewed work permit. I don't know what the law states, but they say that it is not possible.

Apparently, however, I can apply for a 60 day extension as I am married to a Thai citizen.

To do that I need copies of my passport, my wife's ID card, a TM7 form and a copy of a tabien ban. However, since I do not have a tabien ban, and my wife's tabien ban is for her mother's house in another province, I'm still not sure what to do...

If you want to go with the 60 day 'Visting Spouse' extension, do check with Labour first as in my area (Phuket), Labour will not issue/renew a Work Permit if you have this particular class of extension.

Interesting what you have posted re immigration wanting to see the renewed WP, as normally Labour want to see the new one year extension first before they will complete renewal!

You do however have to have all your other 'ducks' lined up before Labour will give you the WP5 receipt, which immigration want to see before they will issue you with a new extension.

Edited by digitalchromakey