UK immigration desk queries for approved UK spouse visa

Hi all hope you are well,

My wife spouse visa for the UK was granted in February, and I am going to get her this week. We will take a holiday in Thailand first, before both arriving to the UK at the end of this month J

My question is there anything specific I should be doing for the moment she gets to the immigration desk? I presume I can go through with her to the non EU part in case she gets any questions about me.

I was going to take the documents folder we used for the successful application just in case, but I guess she was granted a visa in the first place so should be no issue?

Many thanks!

Somebody else will be able to confirm but I *think* you can both go through the EU bit together. You won't need the entire documents from your wife's application, but my wife always carries her TB and wedding certificates just in case. She hasn't been asked so far but has only been through UK immigration twice (solo).

Edited by TCA

You can go through either line if travelling together. I would chose the shorter line! The non-EU line may run faster because sometimes there are more staff working!

TB certificate should be carried (we forgot!) but it really should be a quick and easy process. By all means take the marriage certificate but that has already been presented with the visa application. I doubt she will be questioned much if you are present!

Ahh the TB certificate is now out of date! It was completed sometime in August, and we handed over our documents for approval in November....returned in Feb!

I was led to believe that the 6 month validity is only needed for the application process...shall we get another one done on our way through Bangkok?

Worst case scenario would be a delay while arrangements are made for a fresh X-ray to be taken. I doubt the Immigration Officer would consider it worthwhile as long as someone looks fit and well!

On paper at least the TB certificate must be up to date at the time the application is made not on entry. They only ask for it if you have made the mistake of packing it in the suitcase as they did for my wife. She was not required to have a follow up X-ray!

"Immigration Rule A39. “Any person making an application for entry clearance to come to the UK for more than six months from a country listed in Appendix T Part 1 must present at the time of application a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner listed in Appendix T Part 2 confirming that they have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that this tuberculosis is not present in the applicant.” (“at the time of application” means at the time you submit your visa application or, in legal terms, at the time you pay your visa processing fees)."

My wife returned with me to the UK last April and we both went through the UK/EU passport line and were processed together. This was my wifes sixth visit to the UK, previously she had passed through immigration after just a few rudimentary questions and even on one occasion by a friendly immigration officer. On her last visit however it was a very different experience, the immigration officer was rude, abrupt and made us both feel like we had done something wrong. She insisted on seeing my wifes return plane ticket and wanted to know were we would be staying, where I work and what my wife would be doing whilst in the UK. After a few minutes we were allowed through, begrudgingly, my wifes passport almost thrown back at. We both kept our cool, smiled a lot and were polite, rather than cause a fuss and make things worse.

You probably won't have any problems, but would suggest have basics to hand such as your wedding certificate.

Sadly the experience at the Immigration officers desk can be variable. It is a shame they don't universally show a degree of good manners. It is the first experience of the UK that many people get and it can leave a lasting impression.

They are not there to be your friend but should never be rude or unpleasant. My wife has had some really nasty experiences but also been treated with great courtesy!

Visitors may be grilled a bit more than settlers to convince the IO they are genuine visitors (which makes sense) but it can all be done pleasantly (unless the IO receives 'attitude'!).

I suppose any job offering scope for the exercise of power over another will inevitably lead to conflict. There are rules but quis custodies custodet?

If anyone experiences what they perceive as rudeness, disrespect or sheer bad manners then they should approach the shift manager and make a formal complaint.

Incidentally,there is no requirement to carry a TB certificate.