3bb Blocking Port 443?

SNGLIFE

It is quite odd. Further testing confirms I am unable to unblock port 443 except by running my VPN service client directly from my machine. Running OpenVPN on my router doesn't even open the port (caveat: DD-WRT does have known port-forwarding problems, anyway).

So, I'm going to test setting up a RRAS virtual server, running the VPN service client on that, and then see if that solves my problem.

This surprised me as I hadn't realised that an ISP would block a common port like 443. I don't have 3bb but I do have both TRUE and TOT and I tested those with strange results.

Both connections are using routers with identical versions of DD-WRT and both have ports 80, 443 and 1723 open.

Checking with GRC and Checkmyports show those ports as open for the TRUE connection. However TOT shows 1723 as open but both 80 and 443 as closed.

As expected I'm able to successfully connect to my server on all 3 ports using the TRUE connection. However with the TOT I can't connect on 443 but can on 80. Strange!

Why would an ISP like 3bb or TOT block port 443? Maybe they want to discourage their customers from running web servers?

This surprised me as I hadn't realised that an ISP would block a common port like 443...Why would an ISP like 3bb or TOT block port 443? Maybe they want to discourage their customers from running web servers?

Indeed. I've often wondered why the latency when using a VPN service while in Thailand is so high and the speed reduction so great (-80% of normal speed). Putting my conspiracy hat on, that would be consistent with a MITMA perpetrated by some government (USA, Thailand, or both, or other). There's no such thing as borders in cyberspace. It's all just a 1 and 0 mush. Even SSL can be spoofed if one has the resources and computing power...

Ah, well. It is what it is...

• 1 month later...