Ford Ranger 3.2 Wheel/tyre upgrade options

Having just waited nearly 18 months I have just picked up my new shiny white 3.2 WT.

I can only say what an absolute pleasure it has been to deal with the highly efficient staff of Ford Pattaya, makes you actually wonder how they manage to sell any cars.

Anyway rant over, I am looking for advice on upgrading my wheels/tyres from those that have already done so.

In particular I am looking for what size to ride comparison you may have experience off, being that most of the driving will be on Pattaya city roads or motorways.

I am not looking to upgrade suspension at present and just wondered what sensible sizes other members have experience on.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Yes - non standard running gear is VERY likely to void all or part of your warranty.

Remember too that larger overall diameter of the wheels will change the torque characteristics and brake wear, plus put extra strain on bearings and bushes etc.

just fitting larger tires may also incur clearance problems - both bodywork and the chassis. You might goggle a site that lists the options that will fit on your model.

Edited by wilcopops

Yes - non standard running gear is VERY likely to void all or part of your warranty.

Remember too that larger overall diameter of the wheels will change the torque characteristics and brake wear, plus put extra strain on bearings and bushes etc.

just fitting larger tires may also incur clearance problems - both bodywork and the chassis. You might goggle a site that lists the options that will fit on your model.

Hi thanks and yes I am aware of the potential warranty issues but it is hard to define if the warranty is actually worth anything in Thailand and in particular with Pattaya Ford.

Having dealt with them on previous occasions in regards my wifes new focus and most recently with the TSB regarding the gearbox software upgrade I question whether I would actually believe anything they say in regards to most things.

In regards to bearings/brakes etc I am aware having been a boy racer of cars in a previous life but not on trucks.

Thanks again and any relevant info welcome.

Any dealer should honour the Ford Warranty, not just the dealer you purchased from. If you don't like Pattaya Ford, go to another dealer.

Your WT probably has 265/60R18 now? The Diameter of these is probably around 775mm.

If you want larger wheels, 20" rims with 265/50 tyres are virtually the same diameter as OEM. This is a common fitment to pickups.

If your Ranger can accept a slightly larger diameter and wider tyre,

- 285/50R20 would be about 793mm diameter, (+2%) or

- 275/55R20 would be about 810mm diameter, (+4.6%). Increasing diameter above 3 - 4% may need other mods to brakes etc.

BTW, Yokahama Parada Spec X are very good tyres in these sizes.

Another TV member, Spoonman had a Ranger with bigger wheels. He may be able to give you some advice on the clearance issues if you send him a PM.

Blacknight, hope you enjoy your white Ranger. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jitar

Hi black night, my hi rider is currently on 275 /50/20 on the fuel hostage rim and it drive like dream. I reckon this would be the maximum for the rim thou I have Thai friends going up to 22" rim with bf AT on it but would definitely need to lift the truck in order for full turn.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Any dealer should honour the Ford Warranty, not just the dealer you purchased from. If you don't like Pattaya Ford, go to another dealer.

Your WT probably has 265/60R18 now? The Diameter of these is probably around 775mm.

If you want larger wheels, 20" rims with 265/50 tyres are virtually the same diameter as OEM. This is a common fitment to pickups.

If your Ranger can accept a slightly larger diameter and wider tyre,

- 285/50R20 would be about 793mm diameter, (+2%) or

- 275/55R20 would be about 810mm diameter, (+4.6%). Increasing diameter above 3 - 4% may need other mods to brakes etc.

BTW, Yokahama Parada Spec X are very good tyres in these sizes.

Another TV member, Spoonman had a Ranger with bigger wheels. He may be able to give you some advice on the clearance issues if you send him a PM.

Blacknight, hope you enjoy your white Ranger. thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Hi thanks and yes I am aware of the potential warranty issues but it is hard to define if the warranty is actually worth anything in Thailand and in particular with Pattaya Ford.

Having dealt with them on previous occasions in regards my wifes new focus and most recently with the TSB regarding the gearbox software upgrade I question whether I would actually believe anything they say in regards to most things.

In regards to bearings/brakes etc I am aware having been a boy racer of cars in a previous life but not on trucks.

Thanks again and any relevant info welcome.

I agree with Jitar!

Following the recommendations of IMHO, as soon as I first collected my new vehicle, I replaced its O.E.M 16" wheels and tires with a set of 20" Yokohama Parada Spec-X - you also get a discount for your your new factory wheels and tires. These are top rated, reinforced tires and ride comfortably and handle and brake very good! I have had these Parada's, now, for about 23k and I plan to replace them with another set of Paradas whenever these wear out. There is barely any noticeable tread wear at this point - I have them aligned at least every 10k and the tire pressure has always been consistent.

These tires do cost a little more but they are most definitely worth it, IMHO - of course!

And, no problem what-so-ever with so-called warranty violation issues at any of my scheduled warranty service appointments.

Enjoy your Ride!

Edited by thailoht

Having just waited nearly 18 months I have just picked up my new shiny white 3.2 WT.

I can only say what an absolute pleasure it has been to deal with the highly efficient staff of Ford Pattaya, makes you actually wonder how they manage to sell any cars.

Anyway rant over, I am looking for advice on upgrading my wheels/tyres from those that have already done so.

In particular I am looking for what size to ride comparison you may have experience off, being that most of the driving will be on Pattaya city roads or motorways.

I am not looking to upgrade suspension at present and just wondered what sensible sizes other members have experience on.

Thanks in advance

Its already worth half what you paid.

Fords are worthless here

Edited by computerguy

My Experience was its a waste of money. All i got out of it was increased road noise, bigger bills at tyre changes,and had to fit fancy U.S. adjustable Shocks to stop it hopping about..Never thougt it out at the time,Son and Daughter Pressure ,never give in to it.!.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

just remember any changes will void your warranty here.

Does anyone have any evidence of this or is it just scare mongering?

There is a very high percentage of vehicles in this country with non standard wheels / tires.

just remember any changes will void your warranty here.

There is a very high percentage of vehicles in this country with non standard wheels / tires.

I planned to modified a Nissan under warranty and was told it would void some or all of my warranty depending on what I did. In the end they excluded cover for the suspension, bearings etc.

YES! there is a large number of vehicles with mods to their running gear, I imagine that many are unaware of potential problems or others just risk it.

Edited by wilcopops

I have 22's with a +30 offset(285/45 tyres), there is no clearance issues.

Shortysteps_zps3a44a356.jpg

Its already worth half what you paid.

Fords are worthless here

Whilst my opinion of both Ford and their vehicles is known by many due to the issues I have had the vehicle is worth well more than half I paid for it according to the offers I have had using it for a trade in.

My wheels were never mentioned when my engine warranty was voided.

But your warranty was voided eh...........whistling.gif

Yes but the reason was not attributed to the wheels, infact the root cause of the engine failure is still unknown however they claimed it was water ingress (could not tell me where or how the water entered) they pulled out the Ford Policy which states water ingress = engine warranty void.

Yes but the reason was not attributed to the wheels, infact the root cause of the engine failure is still unknown however they claimed it was water ingress (could not tell me where or how the water entered) they pulled out the Ford Policy which states water ingress = engine warranty void.

Sure, and if your trans had failed they would have pointed to the non-standard wheel dimensions. rolleyes.gif

Anyone who fools around with stuff when their ride is under warranty is daft.

Sure, and if your trans had failed they would have pointed to the non-standard wheel dimensions. rolleyes.gif

My Ranger does not have a trans and it has not failed so your point is meaningless unless it can be substantiated.

FWIW people in Australia have failed transmissions with their vehicles fitted with bigger than standard wheels and the transmissions have been replaced under warranty so for it to happen here it would be a Thailand specific policy.

Also to add my tyres are not actually that big in that they are only 1 inch bigger in rolling diametre.

Edited by Spoonman

It is a fact!!!

Over the years I've had 3 accidents ( minor ) in 3 different vehicles ( all with after market rims ) with 3 different insurance companies and at NO time was the insurance NOT paid, any explanation for this?

With many things Thai looking for ANY reason not to honour something I find it surprising that people claim this to be true.

I ask AGAIN for first hand evidence that this is, as you state, a fact.

If the diameter of your wheels is over the manufacturers recommended size, then you ae changing several characteristics to a greater or lesser extent.

Torque is decreased and strain on the drive chain (inc diff) is increased as is lateral strain on the running gear and shocks. This may well show itself as rapid wear ad tear which can lead to manufacturers parts running out before there life expectancy but not due to any manufacturing or fitting fault.......this would then be regarded as outside the scope of the warranty.as for changes in diameter - this will show itself most clearly in changes in your speedo accuracy. If you want to find out exactly how much, there are plenty of websites that will show such things as speedo readings against real speed. One vehicle I had fitted with oversize tires showed an11% difference and a marked change in low gear performance.

Edited by wilcopops

My Ranger does not have a trans and it has not failed so your point is meaningless unless it can be substantiated.

FWIW people in Australia have failed transmissions with their vehicles fitted with bigger than standard wheels and the transmissions have been replaced under warranty so for it to happen here it would be a Thailand specific policy.

Also to add my tyres are not actually that big in that they are only 1 inch bigger in rolling diametre.

do you mean diameter or circumference?

anyhow do the math (involves pi and and torque calculations) - you might be surprised at the difference in forces involved.

do you mean diameter or circumference?

anyhow do the math (involves pi and and torque calculations) - you might be surprised at the difference in forces involved.

I mean diametre.

THere's quite a difference there in mass and the forces involved. This site is an example of the kind of place that deals with the changes in speedo readings you'll experience.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/speedometer-calibration/

as for warranty, you'll probably fid the manufacturers have a range of wheel/tire sizes that they regard as acceptable for each model; outside that range you may find that they reduce or void warranty.

In many countries alloy wheels are frequently not acceptable due to safety concerns - e.g. performance on impact - I've never see anyone show any concern for this in Thailand, but of course the manufacturers are aware of any safety regulations in just about every country in the world. Big low-profile rims i particular are a problem. Anyone who does a lot of unmetalled (4WD) roads or long distances will tell you they avoid alloy rims too.

E.G. in the UK a friend of mine went for a roadworthy test in his VW (about 3 years old) and was told the alloys wheels were unacceptable...even though they were fitted option by VW.

Edited by wilcopops