claiming benefits if I take my Thai children to the UK

marty827

Hi all,

My Thai wife would like me to take my two boys to the UK for a year so they can experience the English language and culture. Can anyone tell me if I would be able to claim benefits while I'm there. I am a 53 year old British citizen. My one year old and two year old boys have both been registered as British citizens. The eldest has just returned from a holiday there with me. I am working here in Korat as a teacher and can quite easily take a year off and return to my school here in Thailand. I'm not sure if I would be able to work in the UK as I will have to look after the boys, so will need some support to live on.

Any help will be appreciated.

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been paying National Insurance while you have been away? If not, answer is probably no. You may be able to get child tax credits though - may. You would be able to get family allowance though as they are British citizens (once you are at home). Think you would need a job of finances though really - can family over there help during the day?

Have you been paying National Insurance while you have been away? If not, answer is probably no. You may be able to get child tax credits though - may. You would be able to get family allowance though as they are British citizens (once you are at home). Think you would need a job of finances though really - can family over there help during the day?

No, I haven't been paying contributions, but am looking into it for topping up my pension. I don't really want to claim as I've never claimed before, but my wife was intrigued to see what freebies the UK offers that seems to attract people from all around the world. I can probably leave the kids with family and work. But thanks for your helpful friendly advice. Unlike other people on this forum.

A question for you. kindly explain what the British tax payer should fund a jolly for the three of you?, suggest if you can't afford it, don't buy it !

Thanks for your unhelpful suggestion. You obviously have nothing better to do than to moan on forums.

• Like 2

Simple answer, no. you will fail the test as you have been living overseas.

You may be able to claim JSA but you will have to be actively looking for a job to get it, about 70 quid a week & you can get child benefit for the 2 kids, 82 a month for the first & approx 65 for the 2nd.

A question for you. kindly explain what the British tax payer should fund a jolly for the three of you?, suggest if you can't afford it, don't buy it !

<deleted post/troll thread>

Edited by evadgib

Simple answer, no. you will fail the test as you have been living overseas.

You may be able to claim JSA but you will have to be actively looking for a job to get it, about 70 quid a week & you can get child benefit for the 2 kids, 82 a month for the first & approx 65 for the 2nd.

Thanks for your help Boo. I think I will end the discussion there, as people on this forum speak as if I'm a benefit scrounger although I had paid tax and national insurance for over 30 years and had never claimed a penny in my life. All I wanted to know is what my options were so thanks for your help.

Just how exactly is a 1 and 2 year old going to taker in any British culture while you are there ? How will they experience anything different from here. They go to sleep, wake up, get fed several times and then go to sleep again. All they will experience maybe is being cold.

As said why don't you go home first for a few years till they are old enough to actually benefit from a trip to the UK. Work for those years to pay to bring them to see the UK and to be able to afford to treat them to a holiday they will remember. not stuck in some crap accommodation living from hand to mouth ?

You know, if the OP's children were say 8 & 9 and he wanted to take them to go to school for a year to find out what it is all about (education) I would no doubt feel a little sympathetic rather than angry.

• Like 1

Thanks for your unhelpful suggestion. You obviously have nothing better to do than to moan on forums.

And pay British taxes

Life on benefits in the UK is not something I would enter into voluntarily..

These, by the way, are benefits that you are perfectly entitled to as a British Citizen.

They are, however, not enough for you and your children to really experience life in the UK. They are enough to just about scrape by on.

If you were already there, and things took a turn for the worse, then they would be enough to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

You'd be existing, not really living.

I'd have a bit of a re-think if I were you.

Thanks for the advice Bifftastic. To be honest, I don't fancy the idea of going back to the UK anyway. It was just a conversation between the wife and me over a few drinks after my son and me returned from holiday that prompted me to ask the question.

• Like 1

No problem mate :) maybe when the kids are a bit older, with a bit of money behind you, it would be something they would benefit from. If only to discover that they're better off where they are now ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I believe the short answer is no you wouldn't get anything,

,I pay NI contributions but have not lived in the UK since 2008

.I went back last August and whilst i was waiting on my job to start i asked for JSA and was refused.

I was also refused any form of benefits regarding rent.

I had no money in the bank and the 400 i had to tie me through till the job started was finished within 3 weeks.

Take them there when they are older ,,,,,,still has a lot to offer

He 2 wonderful children with a Thai wife and yes the British tax paper should and will give you about 5,000 pounds a month

Because he is wonderful

Fact if he brings Mother in Law and others of wife family they will all get free money

the government, quite rightly IMHO, have tightened up on benefits. as i understand it unless you prove you are actively looking for employment then you will only qualify for minimal benefits - and you will be expected to take any suitable/reasonable employment opportunity offered to you or you will lose all your benefits.

if you want to see what life on benefits is like in the UK these days download a recent channel 4 four part documentary 'benefits street'.

the days of an easy life on the dole are over.

You can claim everything.

Best to return to the same area you were living in the UK.

1. Claim you had to return due to not enough money for a Thai VISA to remain in Thailand.

2. Tell them your wife was unable to return with you as you couldn't meet the financial requirements for her UK VISA.

It is essential you make those two claims as often and as loudly as possible.

So essentially you have been made a single parent family by British Immigration.

Your local authority will understand and be very sympathetic to you plight.

Emergency housing will be provided immediately, you will be put on the emergency list for long term housing (queue jump).

With two children you will be provided with two bedroom accommodation.

No NI payments or anything else required.

Remember, everything is for the benefit of the two children, you will get a free ride along with them.

You and your two children are victims of UK immigration.

Single man gets nothing.

Single parent family gets the lot.

Oh, as a single parent family with two children you are entitled to a minimum income of 15K/year + childcare costs.

This is as long as you can show employment of 16hrs a week, even if that is self-employment earning almost nothing.

Child credit will top you up to 15k/year + childcare costs.

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

I filled in the questionnaire for you, assuming you earned 5,000GBP as a teacher last year.

And were self employed working 16hrs a week.

You would get paid 677GBP/month. (+childcare +housing, plus a few other odds and ends)

Good luck!

You seem to know a lot about it ???