Could You Live in a 30 SQM Studio?

Stubby

Hi folks,

The last two condos I've lived in have been one bedroom units (two rooms) with nice west facing views of the Doi. The first one was about 72 SQM and cost 9,000 THB/Mo. The second one is about 54 SQM (or thereabouts) and also has a nice view and plenty of space. This unit is currently 8,500 THB/Mo. The biggest condo I've rented was in Bangkok and over 250 SQM, although that was a bit too large to be honest, so downsizing to a one bed unit around 70 SQM was no big loss in comfort. But how small is too small?

Condo Prices Rise in Chiang Mai

I am thinking about moving on again anytime soon, and the choice of accommodation out there is just incredible compared to the same time four years ago (when I moved into my current joint). However, I'm guessing that despite so many new units coming onto the market, the demand for decent accommodation is outstripping supply because rental prices have risen - a lot.

I say that because I haven't come across anything yet that has the space I currently have at the price I pay. In fact, it seems like one bedrooms units in newish buildings will be smaller than what I have now and cost an extra 5,000 Baht compared to just a few years ago. I also notice that some people advertise one bedroom condos that are actually studios, and if the size isn't mentioned it can be a bit misleading.

The High-end Studio Boom

I can't believe how many tiny studio condominiums are out there for rent now. In the new buildings, most are asking 10,000 THB/Mo and more, for around 30 SQM of living space. Some are very well laid out for a small pad, but it is still a single room, and it is still only 30 SQM.

Do any of you guys live in rooms of around this size, and if yes, how do you find it? I'm not sure that I could live in such a small space, but having everything brand new does have some appeal. I have found a few large studio (apartments) with nice views, but the buildings are old and tired looking, and that doesn't appeal to me, not as i get older and demand a bit more comfort.

Cheers,

Stubby

There may be something very obvious that I'm not seeing, but why not just get a house and get 4 times the space at half the price?

Good point WTK, but some people prefer the convenience of the condo lifestyle. A mate of mine rented a house and it started leaking in the rainy season. He called the landlord - who lived over 100 KM away - and asked if he could go ahead and get someone it to repair it. The landlord told him not to do anything (other than place some buckets around catch the drips) until he could get over there and sort it out himself in a week or so.

If you have a problem like that in a condo, you just pop down the office, and 5 minutes later your maintenance man is standing at the door with his bag of tools. Pools, gyms, minimarts, restaurant, laundry service, and a few other creature comforts, are often part of a condo complex too. So although the space of a house can be nice, it depends on the lifestyle requirements of the individuals I guess.

That said, I have been looking around at houses, but haven't found anything that grabbed my attention to be honest, many of which were a bit on the shabby side.

Cheers,

Stubby

• Like 2

30 sq m is hotel room size. It could only be for temporary stay.

You're probably right CNXBKKMAN.

But I have to say I've been impressed by the architects clever use of such small spaces in some of these new buildings. But at the end of the day, it's still only 30 SQM, but it doesn't look as tight as it might do. Take the new dCondo complex on Suthep Road (I went to see these units yesterday), even has a kitchen area separated from the main living space.

But a 12 month contract? Hmm! I'm not so sure if I could downsize to 30 SQM, but the location and newness of some of these modern buildings has got me ticking boxes in both the Pros and Cons columns.

Cheers,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Everyone is different. of course. If you like to use you laptop outside, go for walks, exercise a ton, and just need a bed to sleep. should be good. If you love to cook, stay inside a lot, or have some ailments, you might be mentally better off in a little bigger place. When you are young and work a lot, you only see you bed. Then MUCH older, I believe you are more sedentary. just get a big TV, internet, books, etc.... Ok, on a more practical note, I'm sure it comes down to who else lives there. Is there the crazy person who knocks at 3 a.m. every night? or the psycho who lives next door and does this and that. I wouldn't do a condo for the potential of crazy neighbors. maybe look for 1 roommate in a bigger place where you only have to deal with their weirdness. I have lived in a tiny place decades ago, and it was fine as i worked a lot. it was freeing for a bit. but you get embarrassed bringing people back to such a small place. that might wear on you. all good, good luck.

There may be something very obvious that I'm not seeing, but why not just get a house and get 4 times the space at half the price?

Exactly. Our place is at least 250 m2 and for 6 years we paid 6K THB per month. We just had an increase to 7K.

For a short while I lived in an appx. 32 m2 flat in Europe and it was like being in a prison cell. I walked up a stairway to where my bed was but could not stand up. From the stairway I had to fall on to the bed. How could anyone live that way?

As far as a condo is concerned - I don't think I've ever actually been inside one in my life, but I could not imagine not being able to sit in the garden in the morning having my coffee and reading the paper. I couldn't stand to have other people being so close to my living space.

Edited by elektrified

As far as a condo is concerned - I don't think I've ever actually been inside one in my life, but I could not imagine not being able to sit in the garden in the morning having my coffee and reading the paper. I couldn't stand to have other people being so close to my living space.

How about sitting next to the condo's clear blue saltwater pool or garden area, reading your paper as the restaurant downstairs knocks you up a nice breakfast and brings it over to you and places it on the table under your poolside umbrella? Despite what a lot of people think about condo lifestyle, you rarely get to see your neighbors (unless you want to), and most people wouldn't even be able to tell you who lives next door, or across the hallway. The same can't be said for those living in a Moo Baan where everyone knows everyone else, which is fine if you want the "neighborly interaction". My mate lives in a detached house in the country, and people are always popping in for a "cup of sugar" and to chew the fat.

I think the biggest downside to living in "older condos" in particular, is that foreigners are always snapping them up and renovating the units. The rules usually state that no noisy work, i.e. jack hammers, hammer drills, lump hammers, chain saws, etc., can be carried out before 10 AM and must stop by 5 PM, but that's not much comfort to those who don't got to work during the day.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

If all you need is a place to sleep and shower I suppose 30 square meters is liveable. If you want a defined work area with a good size desk, one or more bookcases and file space, and perhaps a separate computer desk, and a relaxation area with a sofa in front of a TV, a kitchen and area to eat, and a separate bedroom, then obviously you need bigger.

New condos are overpriced in Chiang Mai. Fortunately some of the older condominiums have nicely refurbished rooms, and not all of them are constantly filled with noise. Shop around and see if you find something you like.

I couldn't do it. I need 30 sq meters just for my toys.

With a large desktop monitor and several external hard drives, three free-standing sets of drawers (one for camera equipement, one for tools and hobby gear, another for electronics and electric stuff,) plus a half dozen small drawer units for other odds and ends, printer, laminator, several large plants, there is barely room to walk, much less lay down. I need some counter space for a good size oven and induction cookers, hot-water maker, microwave, as well as prep surface for cooking, a table and chairs for 4 to eat at, and a comfortable couch or recliner to watch a movie or two. Oh... and a bedroom! I can do this with 80sq meters, but not 30. Finding a good one-bedroom place was difficult, but it was worth the wait.

I think that it all depends on the person. I've always been very comfortable in a typical hotel room, but some people can't stand them.I suspect that the OP is one of them.

When I first came to Thailand, I always got the cheapest rooms available and as long as they were not too hot or TOO tiny, it was never a problem. Of course, back then, most places did not have air con and there was no English TV and such luxuries available.

After the first year, I rented a house for one year out in the boonies, but almost never moved out of the bedroom and ended up coming in to town twice a day, because I was so bored out in the village. I moved back into town, got a small room with a TV, VCR and fridge near Thapae Gate and have been very happy with that kind of situation ever since, but now, I can't live without air conditioning and the Internet.

• Like 1

It is up to each person. Thais have no problem with it and many farongs have no problem with it.

There are of course those who need the space for outside interests. Or are running some kind of business from it.

Also there are those who are claustrophobic. People who are afraid of other people. If you fall into those categories you are best off in a large house in a remote area. Also the down side to a Condo of any size is your neighbor may play the drums.

To each there own and it is up to them to find what suits themselves. I have done the urban house thing with the picket fence upkeep flower garden lawn thing for 64 years I choose not to anymore. If you want to entertain of course you are going to need a larger place.

give it a try and make your own decision.

The very fact that there are so many of them out there tells you it is possible. Quite often I will browse through travel sites and 20 sq. meters seems to be an acceptable size in nice hotels or resorts. If you go for the larger ones be prepared for a lot of cleaning time as maids are not that easy to find here in Chiang Mai.

Remember what ever choice you make you can always change your mind if it doesn't work out for you. Don't try to be like the Jones unless that is what you really want.

Sure it's liveble I live like that before and now in a 45sqm apt with a big balconny, kitchen everything i need, 3 pools, hot tub sauna and a gym for sure I am not complaining as I work a lot so this size is perfect for me.

be carefull with new buildings of small rooms as the walls and quality of everything is down, I visited some places before I had my current one and sometimes you can hear your neighbours walking.

I live in a 15 yo refurbished one and never heard anyone out here

Ha, ha LOL :) Now an 8 SQM condo deservers a thread all on its own HooJaa!

This building has 890 units of 8 square meters. Now that really is pushing the boat. Then then go on to say:

"Those needing more space, such as families with children, can opt for the 3-bedroom, 24 square-meter units, or the 31 square meter penthouse for just Bt20 million."

After living in something like that, there's a risk that upgrading to 30 SQM studio could result in the resident suffering from agoraphobia!

Stubby

As mentioned, it is an individual taste and acceptability. The first year I was here I lived at a hotel as I got my bearings and job hunting though was out a large part of the time. Then moved to a condo, studio size maybe a bit larger than 30sqm, with attached bathroom and balcony. We did the cooking on the balcony. I had no problem with it as I was out a lot there also.

After getting married a couple of years later we, well actually my wife, went looking for a house. She found one and when we went to look I thought it was a bit large and extravagant but after moving in was really happy with the space. The condo was 4000/month and the house 7000/month for 3+ bedrooms and nice yard.

Now we are in another house even larger where the master bedroom (4 bedrooms total) is nearly twice as large at 55sqm as the OPs topic with attached bathroom and doubles as my office. I could never go back to a condo that small as I would feel like being in a jail. The privacy and flexibility is my biggest issue I would say when it comes to a house versus a condo/apartment.

There are serviced apartments in CM that you could rent out for a month at a time to see how it feels to you before committing to any long term leases.