Came off me bike yesterday, Tuk Tuk won!

Lokie

Well it had to happen...,

overtaking a Tuk Tuk yesterday on the Klong back rd from the where they had blocked Pissit Koranee (the road that take you down and eventually pass the Fire station and joins the dirt track part of middle rd) I am happy to have walked away from it, in UK I think I would have won, but I aint in UK, Cop was there in like 30 seconds?? Damage to TUK TUKs offside bumper, paint etc, my bike is hardly marked (prob as it looks like I took it on my left ribs by the feel of it. Helmet done its job and I had jeans and shoes on or I reckon I would of had a few problems, any way here is how it panned out-

I still don't know how he managed to hit me as I was nearly passed him when he just took me clean out, hitting my back wheel, happy he never ran over me. I picked myself up, and seen not much damage to my bike, Cop asks for licence, no probs officer - gave him it, he talks to Tuk Tuk;

(At this point I remember a friend of mine who after an argument over a bump with a Thai guy ended up locked up and threatened with a 20k bhat fine (think he was DUI at time though) anyway I thought I am ok on whole, face, hands grazed and my pride and my ribs hurt like hell, but I thought I am going the 'be nice farang' option on this... Cop told me to follow him to Police sta,

They were actually spot on with me, got me some first aid sorted out asked if I wanted to go Hospital (I declined) Told not Tuk Tuk fault, my fault, how much I can fix? Sit down Mr relax first make sure you ok... after 5 mins they call me, ok 500Bhat for accident and talk with Tuk Tuk driver, that worked out at 8000B (Which I was happy with) payed and on my way so after 7 years of riding in Patong I suppose I broke my cherry? Just thought I would share the fact that I reckon I was dealt with fairly, as said in UK would have claimed but here, 8k? not worth the aggro... as my US mate said' its not a matter of if, but when?

Wear your Helmets! (and steer clear of yellow Tuk Tuks on the back Klong rd)

p.s. have a lovely imprint of my divers watch on left wrist (thats is US also after 6 years, face smashed and refuses to tick)

• Like 1

Don't understand what happened.

You were overtaking a Tuk Tuk and your bike collided with the it's off-side. Unless he swerved in order to deliberately hit you, the collision was of your making.

Even so, 1000THB would have been the maximum amount to repair the damage described.

Jerry

Aaah ... but you did not factor in the loss of income compensation while the Tuk Tuk is being repaired.

• Like 2

Your post is not very clear, you overtook a tuktuk, he made you fall, and you were happy to pay 8000 thb for damage worth 500thb, and you are happy with this fair treatment? That doesn't make sense at all.it

Sorry man for me it certainly make sense! rolleyes.gif

For I understand what OP feels or felt at the time, plus not only had happened with a Thai-man, BUT wit a Tuk Tuk driver, sad.png so I guess OP is not happy AT ALL to pay 8,000 Bahts he is happy he was not OBLIGED to pay much more, correct me if I'm wrong OP !

• Like 1

Your post is not very clear, you overtook a tuktuk, he made you fall, and you were happy to pay 8000 thb for damage worth 500thb, and you are happy with this fair treatment? That doesn't make sense at all.it

Sorry man for me it certainly make sense! rolleyes.gif

For I understand what OP feels or felt at the time, plus not only had happened with a Thai-man, BUT wit a Tuk Tuk driver, sad.png so I guess OP is not happy AT ALL to pay 8,000 Bahts he is happy he was not OBLIGED to pay much more, correct me if I'm wrong OP !

Probably happy he's not dead or very seriously injured.......in which case 8,000 baht can sound cheap.

• Like 1

You got to love some of the posts on this website. The OP crashes his bike which can easily happen in Thailand and he get slated for it. Okay he has had to pay 8,000.00 Baht, but he was in a situation were he didn't really have a lot of options. Best off to pay the 8,000.00 Baht and get the problem resolved then and there. Its easy to hide behind your keyboard and take the mickey.

I bet all these posters taking the mickey would have ran down to the ATM and withdrawn the 8,000.00 Baht immediately.

• Like 2

You got to love some of the posts on this website. The OP crashes his bike which can easily happen in Thailand and he get slated for it. Okay he has had to pay 8,000.00 Baht, but he was in a situation were he didn't really have a lot of options. Best off to pay the 8,000.00 Baht and get the problem resolved then and there. Its easy to hide behind your keyboard and take the mickey.

I bet all these posters taking the mickey would have ran down to the ATM and withdrawn the 8,000.00 Baht immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay to make it all go away as well, with full knowledge of the fact that I was being extorted.

All I said was why not haggle over the amount of the extortion. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

I did attempt to haggle guys, just didn't want to bore you with the details, he went in at 8k I said ohh me no have big bhat - 5k? he said no you can see damage and repair cost he went in a 8k, I said 6k? (remember I was in agony with my ribs at the time) he was not budging at 8, I thought, well I;m happy to walk away at that... I have no probs with peoples comments on it, just thought i'd share what went down. Some of the above members who are expert thai police/tuk tuk negotiators may like to post how they scored big time when they next have a bump then, I was happy with the outcome anyway and thats all that matters

I see a few are on my wavelength with it

Thanks guys!

I did attempt to haggle guys, just didn't want to bore you with the details, he went in at 8k I said ohh me no have big bhat - 5k? he said no you can see damage and repair cost he went in a 8k, I said 6k? (remember I was in agony with my ribs at the time) he was not budging at 8, I thought, well I;m happy to walk away at that...

That's when you say, no problem, my friend has the tuk-tuk repair shop, he'll do for you no problem. Like this only 3,000 he'll do. If you want 4,000 now okay, you do it yourself.

You ride here without First Class Insurance? huh.png

How many motorbike riders do you think have first class insurance?

For the bike - zero. But some will have first class personal accident insurance.

I would presume very few. I'm not sure, but where I come from that would cover own damage, not damage to other goods/persons, liability insurance is required for that.

Also health insurance would cover own medical expenses BTW, depending on exclusions of course, e.g. motorbike riding allowed and/or valid DL required.

Edited by stevenl

also look at getting a K-Bank debit card, 500b per year and a very easy accideny insurance for any hospital in Thailand.

Covers the first 5k baht I think.

was enough for the ambulance, x-ray, medicine and follow ups in Rama 9 hospital for my friend.

also look at getting a K-Bank debit card, 500b per year and a very easy accideny insurance for any hospital in Thailand.

was enough for the ambulance, x-ray, medicine and follow ups in Rama 9 hospital for my friend.

Nothing to do with first class insurance though.

BTW, better think about this insurance, 10% of the maximum pay-out insurance premium? And with such a low pay-out, there really is no point at all in this insurance. If those numbers are correct.

Edited by stevenl

You ride here without First Class Insurance? huh.png

Westerners?

Every bike rider I know here.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mine was 6k baht last year and 4k baht this year.

You must be in a very different social class if you and the Westerners you know don't or can't pay that.

Every bike rider I ride with has First Class insurance here. Would be stupid not to, really.

Sharp.

Westerners?

Every bike rider I know here.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mine was 6k baht last year and 4k baht this year.

You must be in a very different social class if you and the Westerners you know don't or can't pay that.

Every bike rider I ride with has First Class insurance here. Would be stupid not to, really.

Just ask the question here on the forum, and you'll see: nearly nobody has this, see also LiK's answer.

BTW, better think about this insurance, 10% of the maximum pay-out insurance premium? And with such a low pay-out, there really is no point at all in this insurance. If those numbers are correct.

Maybe not so sharp after all.

It's also for piece of mind.

If in an accident and suddenly there's Ambulance lads carting you off to a hospital, the last thing you want to be thinking of is are they gonna be ripping you off.

I wouldn't expect a real live life on the edge adventurest like you to want it though. I mean 500b, that's like over ten bottles of Lao Khao right. Never mind Steve, get back to sweeping out the leaves and dirt from the porch. ;)