Teen suspect 'confesses' to shooting his family in Pathum Thani

webfact

Teen suspect 'confesses' to shooting his family
Panor Chompusri,
Wattanaphon Matcha
The Nation

30228995-02_big.jpg

Police say closed-circuit system showed boy, 19, turning off 8 security cameras

BANGKOK: -- A 19-year-old boy has allegedly confessed to shooting dead his parents and younger brother after he tried and failed to pass the blame on to the dead sibling, according to police.

Pol Colonel Sunthorn Himarat, a superintendent at Pathum Thani Police Headquarters, yesterday said the suspect made the confession in the face of solid evidence.

"Recordings from a closed-circuit TV system show the suspect turned off all eight security cameras at home where three blood-covered bodies were later found," Sunthorn said.

Poor academic records

On Sunday, the 19-year-old boy initially told police that his younger brother had poor academic records, had been berated by his parents, and got angry.

Sunthorn said the suspect also tried to convey that he was not involved in the murders and that his younger sibling killed the parents before turning the gun on himself.

"But from the spot where the gun was found, it was impossible for the younger boy to have shot himself," Sunthorn said.

He said police started having doubts about the older boy's claim after available records showed the younger boy was a good student. "We then examined the older boy's academic records and found the suspect had study-related problems himself. From there, we found so many pieces of evidence against him," Sunthorn said.

According to the ongoing police investigation, the 19-year-old boy has now admitted he was angry his parents had failed to buy him a car and seemed to love his brother more than him.

Over the weekend, he put a soporific drug into the food eaten by the parents and younger brother. Then, after they had gone to bed, he allegedly shot them.

While the shocking murders have prompted public condemnation, his relatives hold no grudges against him.

"We are forgiving," a 58-year-old woman said at the funeral for the three victims.

The relative said there was no point in directing anger at the boy as she believed what he needed was moral support.

"In fact, this was a warm family of four. His dad always brought his family along when he visited his relatives," she said.

She said her in-law was quite strict with her children. The mother had always instructed her children to behave well and not be a burden to others.

"For example, when we offered our nephews cash gifts during the visit, the mother would advise her sons not to take the money," the relative said.

As of yesterday, police sought court permission to take the teenager in custody.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Rajanagarindra Institute's deputy director Dr Wimonrat Wanpen said this case should remind everyone of the need to take good care of one's family.

"When such violence happens, often family factors are involved," she said. She pointed out that spoiled and physically or verbally abused children could resort to violence.

Wimonrat said when raising children, adults should use both love and rules. "Balance the two well and things should be fine," she said.

Mental Health Department deputy director-general Panpimol Wipula-korn said her department had already contacted police to provide assistance in the 19-year-old murder suspect's case.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-12

How long a person is a teen in Thailand? I would not call a 19 year old a teenager.

I find this 'forgiving' attitudes and 'moral support' appalling. Personally I would like to see him hung high.

Seems in this country any lame excuse goes.

• Like 2

"While the shocking murders have prompted public condemnation, his relatives hold no grudges against him."

I'll bet they don't. They are queuing up to reap the benefits of all those policies Dad had.

Exactly my thoughts! Its a shame how they intend to benefit from such tragedy by trying to cover this behind "moral standards". I doubt any of the profiteers of this crime will ever visit him in prison or a mental institution.

^ How do you pronounce nineteen then? Should answer your question.

In my country 18 year old is an adult and one is fully responsible of his actions when 16 according to the law.

I call this murderer as a young man. Or are you feeling for him?

"The relative said there was no point in directing anger at the boy as she believed what he needed was moral support."

No doubt the Corrections Department will be happy to provide this over the next few decades.

"The relative said there was no point in directing anger at the boy as she believed what he needed was moral support."

No doubt the Corrections Department will be happy to provide this over the next few decades.

You are missing the point and a lesson in life.

There can be no healing without letting go of some basic emotions. Of course the relatives are angry, and saddened. Her point was that anger would achieve nothing and that the kid is obviously troubled and in need of support. Mentally stable kids do not kill their families. If the accused was subject to a mental health exam, I'm pretty certain, the result would be that he was a few cards short of a full deck.

One of the admirable qualities of the Thai culture is the ability to forgive and to retain a sense of inner peace. I doubt I could forgive this guy, even if he was deranged.

• Like 2

There can be no healing without letting go of some basic emotions. Of course the relatives are angry, and saddened. Her point was that anger would achieve nothing and that the kid is obviously troubled and in need of support. Mentally stable kids do not kill their families. If the accused was subject to a mental health exam, I'm pretty certain, the result would be that he was a few cards short of a full deck.

One of the admirable qualities of the Thai culture is the ability to forgive and to retain a sense of inner peace. I doubt I could forgive this guy, even if he was deranged.

Perhaps the relatives can forgive but I think the government will treat him the same as all other murderers in their care.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Where loss of life is involved, you are correct that forgiveness is in abundance. Unfortunately, where loss of finances are involved, the same forgiveness is not seen and grudges are held indefinitely. To me, this "quality" is less about "inner peace" and more about the materialistic nature and low value placed on life in Thai society.

Edited by phosphorescent

Don't forget those life insurances,that money will sure help with that "inner sense of peace"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Perhaps the relatives can forgive but I think the government will treat him the same as all other murderers in their care.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Leave them out on bail and let them take holidays abroad as long as they promise to return ;)

There are enough words wasted on this piece of crap. He has confessed after questioning and tried to hide the fact before. No more witnesses required. Quick trial at the weekend, execution by Monday and they can all be buried together as a 'warm family'.

^ How do you pronounce nineteen then? Should answer your question.

In my country 18 year old is an adult and one is fully responsible of his actions when 16 according to the law.

I call this murderer as a young man. Or are you feeling for him?

He is a teenager simply because of his age.... from thir"teen" until nine"teen"... all of this time a person is a teenager... not what I feel or you feel... its just language.

A very sad event for all involved.. RIP the deceased...

welcome to the explanation for so many absolute mental cases here in the land on smiles

now lets learn nothing and continue down our path of foolishness, greed & ignorance

Chai-Yooooooooooo!!!!!

Reminds me of the bleeding heart liberals in the UK, where they treat criminals better than they treat their victims.

• Like 1

How long a person is a teen in Thailand? I would not call a 19 year old a teenager.

Generally as long their age ends in the letters t-e-e-n. The same as the rest of the World where English is being used.

You know, thirteen, sixteen, nineteen. There's probably a few others too.

if the entire nation was subject to periodical mental health checks, im pretty certain that the results would show that we simply dont have a full deck among us...

I find this 'forgiving' attitudes and 'moral support' appalling. Personally I would like to see him hung high.

Seems in this country any lame excuse goes.

Nine TEEN. Same as every country in the world. Having said that we have laws redarding ages when you are responsible for your actions.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Generally as long their age ends in the letters t-e-e-n. The same as the rest of the World where English is being used.

You know, thirteen, sixteen, nineteen. There's probably a few others too.

Well wasn't the ferrari driver twenty nineteen or was it thirty oneteen? He must have been as so many referred to him as a 'kid'.

I see the relatives are the most magnanimous of all. They forgive, they don't hold a grudge and they 'understand', because the boys mother was always strict whistling.gif . I only hope they will be just as magnanimous when, as sole beneficiaries to the 15 life insurance policies they will donate all the proceedings to a charity for the victims of domestic crime and abuse..........I won't hold my breath!