Charter court accepts EC, ombudsman petitions: February 2 election

webfact

ELECTION
Charter court accepts EC, ombudsman petitions

CHANIKARN PHUMHIRAN
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE CONSTITUTIONAL Court yesterday decided to accept for review the petitions submitted separately by the Election Commission and the Ombudsman that might lead to annulment of the February 2 general election.

Before the resolutions were announced, Pheu Thai legal expert Singthong Buachum petitioned the court to drop the two cases as well as the petition lodged by anti-government protest leader Thaworn Senneam concerning the legitimacy of the caretaker government. The court yesterday dropped Thaworn's case.

The petition forwarded by the Ombudsman on behalf of Thammasat University law lecturer Kittipong Kamolthamwong claimed that the election process was flawed because it was unfair. The EC's petition posed three questions to the Constitutional Court to rule on.

The first was whether the EC could go ahead and announce the opening of candidacy registration and a date for rerunning the balloting in 28 constituencies.

The second question was whether the EC had the mandate to issue such announcements or needed another Royal Decree to amend the decree dissolving the House of Representatives, which was the prerogative and responsibility of the prime minister.

The third was whether the new Royal Decree, if it is allowed, would need to be issued for only the 28 constituencies or for all constituencies, as the Constitution requires an election to be completed on the same day nationwide.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-13

Talk about the courts painting themselves into a corner, hit-the-fan.gif

The EC seem not to know what their obligations are,? blink.png

They seem not to know if they need a royal decree to amend a royal decree, to dissolve the house of rep's which NOT their responsibility but the PM"S and they know it...whistling.gif

The constitution requires the election to be completed on the same day,

well we all know just WHO is responsible for blocking that from happening now DON'T WE,,, YU'P your hero Suthep, So why is he not being charged for breaching the constitution??? You yellows love to have a cry that Y/L is breaking the law, NO double standards now,,,w00t.gif

How about they try this one on,,, SUTHEP HAS BROCKEN THE LAWS AND HIS GUARDS ARE NOT "PEACEFUL PROTESSERS". AND PEOPLE INVADING BUILDINGS ARE NOT PEACEFUL, as the precedents have been set so why have a police force at all as they have been ruled redundant if you say we are "peaceful protesters", but we can do anything we like... and the cop's can't touch us hahahaaha1zgarz5.gif

Or How about they try this one on,

Clean up this mess

Put a Nuteral caretaker into power while they clean up this mess

and hold new election

Yingluck does not want this as it throws out the chance her her to give her brother a Get out of Jail free

My Thai wife says that many thai people like to bury there heads so if the can not see the truth it does not exist

My friend you have adapted well to this culture

Or how about try this on, If your hero respected the peoples right of choice and freedom to vote, then this "mess" would not be here now, also my friend, Suthep and his "peaceful protesters" would never fly in OZ now would it, GET YOUR head out of the sand.

• Like 1

They seem not to know if they need a royal decree to amend a royal decree, to dissolve the house of rep's which NOT their responsibility but the PM"S and they know it...whistling.gif

The EC already know very well what the laws are, however the Govt has not accepted one word they have said and questioned every single statement/decision, hence the reason why it now goes to the "courts" to produce an unarguable final position/decision that the Govt can no longer object to or question. It's not difficult to understand if you stop believing all the pro-Govt propaganda.

Do you seriously expect him to understand this!!! I think that is way too deep for him to comprehend.

Understanding and comprehension are NOT the strong points of a large proportion of the posters here as has been evidenced. There's a corollary here in a lot of instances with how many uppercase letters there are used in their TVF "name" I believe.

• Like 1

well we all know just WHO is responsible for blocking that from happening now DON'T WE,,, YU'P your hero Suthep, So why is he not being charged for breaching the constitution??? You yellows love to have a cry that Y/L is breaking the law, NO double standards now,,,w00t.gif

How about they try this one on,,, SUTHEP HAS BROCKEN THE LAWS AND HIS GUARDS ARE NOT "PEACEFUL PROTESSERS". AND PEOPLE INVADING BUILDINGS ARE NOT PEACEFUL, as the precedents have been set so why have a police force at all as they have been ruled redundant if you say we are "peaceful protesters", but we can do anything we like... and the cop's can't touch us hahahaaha1zgarz5.gif

Clean up this mess

and hold new election

Yingluck does not want this as it throws out the chance her her to give her brother a Get out of Jail free

My Thai wife says that many thai people like to bury there heads so if the can not see the truth it does not exist

Or how about try this on, If your hero respected the peoples right of choice and freedom to vote, then this "mess" would not be here now, also my friend, Suthep and his "peaceful protesters" would never fly in OZ now would it, GET YOUR head out of the sand.

if this was in Australia all the ptp would be in jail for corruption and never be allowed to stand for elections ever again, the reds would also be locked up, the ptp voters would be charged with accepting a bribe to vote(along with the rest of the country) and we would be having totally free and fair DEMOCRATIC elections with not bribes/vote buying and parties like the ptp would never even get close to being elected because the voting public would all know the truth. Trouble is this is Thailand and the opposite is true.

He probably wants to see Thailand dragged into the gutter by thaksin so he can feel superior to Thai people and gloat that Australia is much better than Thailand.

There can be no other logical reason.

The EC already know very well what the laws are, however the Govt has not accepted one word they have said and questioned every single statement/decision, hence the reason why it now goes to the "courts" to produce an unarguable final position/decision that the Govt can no longer object to or question. It's not difficult to understand if you stop believing all the pro-Govt propaganda.

You are joking aren't you. The EC have been the ones vaccilating since the beginning, Somchai doesn't know his A from his elbow. The CC will now come up with an "unarguable final position/decision" which to most sensible people will be surreal.

• Like 1

Clean up this mess

and hold new election

But this ain't OZ, the difference being that OZ is not run by a convicted criminal who skipped the country after ripping untold millions if not billions out of the country and who now has a puppet in his place and still trying to cream off as much as he can for himself and all this brown-nosing hanger-on's.

So, maybe you should place your head back in the sand until such times as you understand what is going on here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Do you seriously expect him to understand this!!! I think that is way too deep for him to comprehend.

Understanding and comprehension are NOT the strong points of a large proportion of the posters here as has been evidenced. There's a corollary here in a lot of instances with how many uppercase letters there are used in their TVF "name" I believe.

Oh dear!! I think that I violate this practice somewhat with a 100% failure rate. LOL!! I want to claim that I accidently flicked the caps button on before registering (in true 'red excuse' mode) but will be honest instead in denying that this was the case.

However, I think my understanding and comprehension of situations and facts is better than any red posters, otherwise they wouldn't be supporting the red's stance, would they!!

• Like 1

you are 100% correct, every time the EC made a decision it was challenged by the government, the EC was refused meetings before the elections were held - they simply referred the issues to the courts as they were contested at every point in the process by a bunch of baffoons who cannot have anyone else telling them what to do - the EC should have stood their ground and told the CT Government to abide by their decisions and back off - but we don't know what threats etc were going on in the background - I suspect the EC were being intimidated from all sides and as in the case with judges were most likely worried about their own safety and lack of protection - I don't think the police (controlled by the government) would have been interested or motivated to do their duty

Eloquently put!!

You are joking aren't you. The EC have been the ones vaccilating since the beginning, Somchai doesn't know his A from his elbow. The CC will now come up with an "unarguable final position/decision" which to most sensible people will be surreal.

And the Govt has completely ignored procedure, the law and pretty much everything else over the last few years. They were notified before they started the election protest that they were going about it in the wrong way and they chose not to listen (yet again) and now find themselves in a position where their standing depends on the courts and other independent bodies, who after all the complaining and threatening the Govt/PTP have done, don't like them very much.

We can argue til the cows come home as to whether these courts and bodies are truly independent, but it doesn't really make a lot of difference at this stage, as they are the ones that have to be worked with and within the framework of the laws and the constitution that is currently in place.

As always, when something doesn't go in their favor however, the Govt/PTP always dismiss it as being unfair. Well, you've had quite a few years in charge now to change these unfair systems and processes (in a legal manner) but no, it was all tried to be done in an underhanded, illegal way. The rewards of which are soon to be felt.

The only thing that is surreal is that you and other Govt/PTP supporters still believe that they are doing things "for the people" rather than screwing everyone over and pocketing as much cash as they can in the process.

The anti-Govt side of things are far from being perfect themselves, however I'd trust them far more than I would trust anyone within the Govt/PTP.

• Like 2

Oh dear!! I think that I violate this practice somewhat with a 100% failure rate. LOL!! I want to claim that I accidently flicked the caps button on before registering (in true 'red excuse' mode) but will be honest instead in denying that this was the case.

However, I think my understanding and comprehension of situations and facts is better than any red posters, otherwise they wouldn't be supporting the red's stance, would they!!

Well, I did say there were "a lot of instances", not implying "all", just "many".

Nice to see how a herd of extremist here is bullying someone for express his opinion... That can be right or wrong, but did not offend anyone.

I am posting less and less because those keyboard Rambos. facepalm.gif

Opinions are no problem, but when you give absurd assumptions on which you base your opinion, you're bound to get some comments.

IMHO

Nice to see how a herd of extremist here is bullying someone for express his opinion... That can be right or wrong, but did not offend anyone.

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion here, but if you say something stupid in a public forum, you'll get picked up on it regardless of who you support.

Opinions are no problem, but when you give absurd assumptions on which you base your opinion, you're bound to get some comments.

IMHO

I agree with you, but someone here have the "easy offence" mode on. Reason for what, I am posting rarely now.

Let the forum be habitat of these keyboard fighters...

IMHO

I agree with you, but someone here have the "easy offence" mode on. Reason for what, I am posting rarely now.

Welcome to the world of forums. Mind you TV is moderated 'reasonably'. If you're already in withdrawal mode here you wouldn't last long in some other forums I've looked at.

IMHO

Welcome to the world of forums. Mind you TV is moderated 'reasonably'. If you're already in withdrawal mode here you wouldn't last long in some other forums I've looked at.

I did not complained about moderators, they are doing a great job here.

I just expressed disappointment towards who has offense as a tool for "debate", really not big contributors anyway, and they are always the same ones...

The Constitutional Court's ruling yesterday on the unconstitutionality of the 2 trillion baht bill was the first in a series of highly seminal decisions that could lead to the dissolving of Pheu Thai. The Constitutional Court's ruling yesterday now sets the stage for possible impeachment proceedings on the basis of that alone. Yesterday's decision of the Constitutional Court also to accept for consideration the charges regarding the legitimacy of the February 2 election is also seminal. And of course, there is the NACC investigation of the rice scheme, which carries impeachment powers. And in addition to that are two other key things - the Constitutional Court's view of Articles 7 and 108, and 127, although these will very likely be tied into their ruling regarding the election. And one more - the one before the Constitutional Court that considers the dissolution of Pheu Thai on the basis on the Senate bill, which was deemed unconstitutional.

The Constitutional Court's ruling yesterday on the unconstitutionality of the 2 trillion baht bill was the first in a series of highly seminal decisions that could lead to the dissolving of Pheu Thai. The Constitutional Court's ruling yesterday now sets the stage for possible impeachment proceedings on the basis of that alone. Yesterday's decision of the Constitutional Court also to accept for consideration the charges regarding the legitimacy of the February 2 election is also seminal. And of course, there is the NACC investigation of the rice scheme, which carries impeachment powers. And in addition to that are two other key things - the Constitutional Court's view of Articles 7 and 108, and 127, although these will very likely be tied into their ruling regarding the election. And one more - the one before the Constitutional Court that considers the dissolution of Pheu Thai on the basis on the Senate bill, which was deemed unconstitutional.

Not looking so good for them now, is it!!!

That's the thing with lying and cheating - it catches up with you eventually.

Thaksin was right about something - The Dem's are clever and have all these academics behind them - compare this to what the PTP has ie: Yingluck, Chalerm, Kittirat, Tarit, Plodrasop and the rest of the useless retards!!

Thaksin was right about something - The Dem's are clever and have all these academics behind them - compare this to what the PTP has ie: Yingluck, Chalerm, Kittirat, Tarit, Plodrasop and the rest of the useless retards!!

The measure of a person is in their character and actions, And SICHONSTEVE, using an abusive term such as "useless retards!!" show's the level of your character quite clearly!!! how many other abusive terms have you leveled at people? or is that the limit of your cerebral prowess?

I still stand by my comment, and I HAVE NOT ONCE CLIAMED THE EC IS THE COURT, as some people have tried to say I have done. whoever ineloquently put.

I was attempting to comment that the courts have set a precedent by ruling that the protesters are peaceful and the police can not touch them, which some yellow supporters can admit that there most certainly are a large number that are NOT PEACEFUL...

The next time a large group of PT protesters gather and blockade roads, invade buildings, intimidate and threaten staff, cut power, water, destroy and steal government equipment and records, shoot and bash people, 9 "peaceful protesters (guards or not) assault a loan woman (detain) and interrogate her, threaten to kidnap (detain) the PM and ministers with threats to their wives and kids, As this is the courts ruling, and that is why so many people are very angry with the courts.

Or will this ruling be overturned if a PT protest movement gather in the next weeks and do these very same things???.

I can hear the (RED THUGGS, throw them in jail) cry now.

The measure of a person is in their character and actions, And SICHONSTEVE, using an abusive term such as "useless retards!!" show's the level of your character quite clearly!!! how many other abusive terms have you leveled at people? or is that the limit of your cerebral prowess?

I still stand by my comment, and I HAVE NOT ONCE CLIAMED THE EC IS THE COURT, as some people have tried to say I have done. whoever ineloquently put.

I was attempting to comment that the courts have set a precedent by ruling that the protesters are peaceful and the police can not touch them, which some yellow supporters can admit that there most certainly are a large number that are NOT PEACEFUL...

The next time a large group of PT protesters gather and blockade roads, invade buildings, intimidate and threaten staff, cut power, water, destroy and steal government equipment and records, shoot and bash people, 9 "peaceful protesters (guards or not) assault a loan woman (detain) and interrogate her, threaten to kidnap (detain) the PM and ministers with threats to their wives and kids, As this is the courts ruling, and that is why so many people are very angry with the courts.

Or will this ruling be overturned if a PT protest movement gather in the next weeks and do these very same things???.

Good grief!

That term wasn't directed at you so why are you so upset about it. If you think that people like Kittirat and Plodrasop are intelligent people then that's up to you. I don't share this view about these individuals and deem them dangerous individuals and damaging to Thailand's economy!!!