2 Million Baht’s worth of counterfeit branded items seized at South Pattaya Mall

webfact

Hmmm how about seizing fake police officers. Fake as in not genuine, fraud, inferior product purported to be genuine, bogus, misrepresentation of quality, etc etc. Will we get follow photos of cops destroying these items? Don't hold your breath.

If you are in the country where the original goods are manufactured it is likely that you are buying over-run or slightly substandard goods.

The hysteria comes from the brand-name owners who don't want to lose 700 or 800% profit.

I lived in Hong Kong and bought Versachi shirts at 3 for 10UKP. They were manufactured on the same production lines. by the smae operators using the same fabrics and accessories so to all intents and purposes they were not fake or copies. The only difference was price 3.33UKP in Honk Kong .... 105.00UKP in UK.

Naturally Versachi claimed they were low quality fakes.

If they were low quality fakes why do they still look almost brand new and crisp after 15 years?

I think you mean ''Versace'' ???

If you are in the country where the original goods are manufactured it is likely that you are buying over-run or slightly substandard goods.

The hysteria comes from the brand-name owners who don't want to lose 700 or 800% profit.

I lived in Hong Kong and bought Versachi shirts at 3 for 10UKP. They were manufactured on the same production lines. by the smae operators using the same fabrics and accessories so to all intents and purposes they were not fake or copies. The only difference was price 3.33UKP in Honk Kong .... 105.00UKP in UK.

If they were low quality fakes why do they still look almost brand new and crisp after 15 years?

I thought that the brand name was versace !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Perhaps this is why they were so cheap ?

Edited by finnomick

Piracy and counterfeit goods may be cheap but they are not confined to shirts, bags, tennis shoes, etc.

How would you like yourself or a loved one to be the proud recipient of a counterfeit heart pace maker or fake blood vessel shunt? How about a knock off master brake cylinder or timing chain on your expensive car? How about fake heart medications? Would anyone like counterfeit fire detection equipment in your home, business or hospital?

Fake tires on aircraft? Bogus thermal-fuses? Dodgy computer software that shares your personal information? Counterfeit passports?

The list goes on and on. Those that poo-poo the seriousness of pirated, counterfeit goods and the theft of intellectual property need to look beyond the monetary consequences.

....how do 5000 pieces of fake goods add up to 2 million baht.....???

Very easy, average retail price 400 baht. But if you bothered to read the report properly it was not 5,000, it was over 5,000 items

Still failing at going after real criminals? It's ok..maybe next time.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Counterfeit sellers ARE 'real criminals'.

They are also under the control of huge counterfeit networks organized by Chinese snake head style gangsters and they own the police and customs.

There are many rival networks and if you operate outside of their network in their area, they will take you out by one means or another.

These police are acting on behalf of a rival gang... trust me, I know. My wife's aunt fell foul of the gangsters when she was selling fakes on a market surrounded by many other fake sellers and she had a visit by a couple of very scary Chinese guys who threatened her to buy their stock at a higher price than she was paying another supplier. She stupidly refused and was singled out by a police raid who totally ignored all the other fake sellers.

She lost everything and made to pay a massive 200,000 baht fine. It ruined her.

Obviously the vendors at Mike's were not buying their gear from the right people.

2 million baht? I guess it depends on who your selling it too... Maybe to farang customers its a 2m thb loss, but to Thais & those chinese negotiators it was probably only 100,000

I guess not. More than 5000 items mean an average price of about 350-400 bath per item, which is actually what they usually make.

If some items are sold to thais, they still in almost every case have a last price of 200 bath, so we are at least talking about 1.5 mill bath in total, no less than 1.2 mill.

100.000 bath is just way off target. This is Mike Mall, and not a random place around.

Edited by thaibreaker

I have bought lots of clothing in thailand, no doubt copies. There are varying degrees of quality, one must shop carefully. But I have bought many polo style shirts of one famous brand. Difference between the two, if I buy carefully? Price at macys/nordstroms: 72 - 92 dollars. Price in THailand? 3 - 4 dollars. Some of these I have been wearing for several years, they have not fallen apart nor lost their shape. Some of the lower quality ones, yes, they do deteriorate, I just use them for work shirts, but they still don't fall apart. Yes, I voluntarily make the choice NOT to buy the same shirt at a 2000 percent markup. Silly me, I guess. And by the way, what does a t shirt have to do with jet engines or heart valves? Nothing.

• Like 1

It's called capitalism. Producers have the absolute right to protect their goods, sold by their company, in their stores or authorised outlets.

It is up to the producer to decide on the different prices for different markets, whether or not you think profits are excessive. If people think they are excessive, they will not buy the goods.

You seem to suggest that counterfeiting is fine.

Would you be happy flying on an aircraft with a counterfeit turbine fan?

Would you be happy paying $100 for a football shirt that cost $1 to manufacture in Cambodia? Many people do. It's called capitalism.

Someone missed some payments.

Still failing at going after real criminals? It's ok..maybe next time.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We could all save some time and effort if, when a police arrest "news" item is published, they'd just add on the same childish comments.

1. "Missed payments." Ha Ha Ha. Very clever comment.

2. Establish Thai Visa hierarchy of acceptable crimes for arrests and ignore everything else.

MjAxMy0zMTQwN2EwYWYzODA0NjU2.png

So, fix the problem? Don't shoot the messenger. Maybe you will come up with your 'retort' the next time (yet again, and it will happen) after another fatal van/bus crash or some other frequently repeated activity based on corruption or carelessness.

I bought a ( Supposed) fake Versachi shirt in 1977, all these years later, i still have it

in the UK we have the 'crime stoppers' hot line where you can anonymously phone in to report crimes and on occasion following the bust receive a percentage of the take.

if they had such a scheme here i'd be a very rich man... just going for a walk down KSR followed by a trip to pantip then yawarat and an evening visit to patpong...

Until someone beats you or shoota you and you understand that in Thailand you are not the law.

Edited by thailandbeachisland

I would suggest that this 'Crackdown' means a couple of things.

The new Boss needs a Public Lift in his Profile.

The Govts. of Australia ,USA and UK are about to check to see that there a genuine attempts in Thailand to stop the 'Counterfeit' Market before they Contribute a Few more Million Dollars to the Thai Govt. to help in the 'fight'

I M O

coffee1.gif

if it was "Versachi" the price of £ 10.- is justified and they couldn't have fetched more in Uk. but if we talk about "Versace" then...

by the way, this story of "same same but different manufactured goods" exists in half a dozen versions and countries and makes those who have heard some of these versions (years ago) yawwwwnnnn...

coffee1.gif

in the UK we have the 'crime stoppers' hot line where you can anonymously phone in to report crimes and on occasion following the bust receive a percentage of the take.

if they had such a scheme here i'd be a very rich man... just going for a walk down KSR followed by a trip to pantip then yawarat and an evening visit to patpong...

One could make a fortune reporting dole scroungerfs in uk,there is a number to phone also.Not that i have done it before,i have great respect for criminals