One killed, 10 injured in 'international concert' stage collapse in Thailand

webfact

One Killed In 'International Concert' Stage Collapse
By Khaosod English

13946960381394696084l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- One person has been killed and at least 10 injured when a concert stage collapsed before its scheduled performance in Udon Thani province.

Police in Mueang district received reports of the incident at around 00.30 this morning, which took place at Vessuwan event site in Nakhon Udon Thani Municipality compound.

Rescue workers and police officers arrived at the scene to discover that the entire right-hand side of the concert stage has collapsed, along with a large projector mounted on the metal structure. 11 people were trapped inside the wreckage at the time the police arrived, one of them severely injured.

The rescue workers eventually managed to extract all wounded victims from underneath the collapsed structures, but one of them later passed away at hospital.

Mr. Pachanapan Sornjai, 36, identified himself as the manager of concert stage construction under AV System company and told police that his team was preparing the stage for an international music event called MTV Exit Live In Udon Thani, which is due to open its door on 15 March.

The event, unrelated to a US-based music corporation with the same name, was slated to feature many famous Thai bands such as Body Slam, Slot Machine, and Kala, along with guest rock and pop musicians from neighbouring countries, including Malaysia and Laos, according to Mr. Pacharapan.

The manager told police that over 20 staff were perched on the concert stage structures to install lighting equipment when some metal joints moved away from their locking spots, causing the entire structure to collapse by enourmous weight of the giant projector and other equipment.

Mr. Pacharapan said he would consult with the company executives whether to postpone the concert.

The police did not immediately press charges against anyone, stating that a further investigation is needed.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1394696038

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-13

• Like 1

"over 20 staff were perched on the concert stage structures to install lighting equipment"

Might be a clue as to why it happened??

The structure is supposed to handle this. Do you know how much one 1200W moving head weighs? 50kg+. Sometimes, 20 or more are mounted on a 10 meter truss. The 50x50 trusses. I don't remember their carrying capacity, but it is a lot.

My guess is the staging foundation shifted.

• Like 1

This is tragic. My wife has worked with AV system many times and they are very professional.

I do wonder what happened. This kind of thing has happened once or twice with the other lighting companies.

No liability, no accountability, and baht justice. There's your very professional

my thoughts to the dead and injured seen a little of this type construction all to temporary not locked in very tightly lots of swaying and creaking going on but hey who would believe it i would

I have been to around 1.000 concerts here with stages like this and can honestly say I have never seen any swaying or creaking, Thais really are not stupid when it comes to putting these things up, accidents really can happen anywhere, even in Thailand!

Sorry but didn't you know Thailand cannot have accidents.

>>an international music event called MTV Exit Live In Udon Thani, The event, unrelated to a US-based music corporation with the same name

Pure coincidence the name is the same and it was thought up here, but in no way did they mean to infer it was related to MTV, righttttttttttttt?

• Like 1

"over 20 staff were perched on the concert stage structures to install lighting equipment"

yup. seems like more than 1000kg of people.

A tonne is a large weight for scaffolding, but I'm only guessing.

I've been involved in a lot of events in Europe and have frequently been surprised by the sub standard materials used in stage-building and several other aspects of H&S in major public events. considering the number of events Thai people organise, I would have thought that they would have become experts in this, but some of the stuff I've seen has been pretty frightening.

Regulation and inspection in UK and Europe is pretty strict, I somehow doubt that it is so thorough in Thailand.

Edited by wilcopops

Thousands of stages like this are put up in Thailand every year, it's very rare for any problems or accidents to occur with them and those erecting and dismantling them are skilled at the job.

Looking at health and safety standards in Thailand, I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often.

In fact it probably does, only they wouldn't bother reporting it in the English/National press unless it kills someone.

This is tragic. My wife has worked with AV system many times and they are very professional.

I do wonder what happened. This kind of thing has happened once or twice with the other lighting companies.

No liability, no accountability, and baht justice. There's your very professional

After talking with my wife about this, she said that not everyone is just as professional. I have seen this, too. If it were Baan Rig doing this, maybe it would bot have happened.

They sometime don't bother with the clips holding the pins in the trussing joints. If you know trussing you know what I mean.

This time they paid for it. Many times these lighting and trussing crews don't bother with safety harnesses either. It does happen a boy falls 10 meters to the concrete floor. Then someone has to go to Isaan and explain to the family why their boy didn't bother to wear the harness (sometimes) provided.

I expected better from AV system. The boss can be a bit of a "hot-head". Hates foreigners...

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

What has "international "got to do with it?

" To understand Thailand, you have to understand its soap operas first." The best English speaking tourist copper in a bigger city in lower northeast is always referring people like us as "International people"

Or the wise words: "Phutt Passa Farang",as most people here believe that English is spoken by all foreigners here.

Sad accident for all involved. Hope the injured ones will have a speedy recovery. I don't think that they have an insurance, and if so, they would not cover everything, so also a big problem for the company.

I'm always wondering how they keep big concerts running, using so much electricity, plugged in an extension.....

Seems they forgot some important bolts to put in. Time for a visit to a monk now to ask for a new day.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Not really. There are often many more than 20 working on construction of large stages in Australia and Europe.

I've been involved in a lot of events in Europe and have frequently been surprised by the sub standard materials used in stage-building and several other aspects of H&S in major public events. considering the number of events Thai people organise, I would have thought that they would have become experts in this, but some of the stuff I've seen has been pretty frightening.

Regulation and inspection in UK and Europe is pretty strict, I somehow doubt that it is so thorough in Thailand.

The opening night of Pink Floyds Pulse concert at London's Earls Court. A section of the seating collapsed, injuring many. Concert was cancelled. Floyd visited the Injured in hospital.

jb1

" when some metal joints moved away from their locking spots, causing the entire structure to collapse by enourmous weight of the giant projector and other equipment."

Those pesky metal joints, acting under the influence of evil spirits probably. Certainly no question that anyone was at fault.

• Like 1

" when some metal joints moved away from their locking spots, causing the entire structure to collapse by enourmous weight of the giant projector and other equipment."

Those pesky metal joints, acting under the influence of evil spirits probably. Certainly no question that anyone was at fault.

It is a peculiar Thai cultural thing that when bad stuff happens, inanimate things can move, or break or fall.

I will never ever forget my brother in law explaining how his car hit another car. The car did it, and it was absolutely impossible for him to say, he did it. Impossible. It is an important distinction. Just imagine if your farang family member called you on the phone to say THEY had had an accident.

How absurd would it sound "Dad, the car just had an accident".