Crackdown On Drug Dealers Rather Than Buyers

Jai Dee

Deputy Royal Thai Police Commander: Drug dealers in 28 provinces will be wipe out

The Royal Thai Police Deputy Commander, Police General Priewphan Damapong (เพรียวพันธุ์ ดามาพงษ์), said after a meeting with Mr. Wan Muhamad Noor Matha (วันมูหะมัดนอร์ มะทา), the Director of the National Center for Drug Suppression, that related agencies have been assigned to speedily wipe out narcotics.

He said the officials will concentrate more on suppressing the drug dealers rather than the buyers, especially in the 28 provinces of Thailand. Police General Priewphan also referred to the news claiming that the amount of narcotics have increased, saying that he has no idea about the source of the news. He said concerned officials and the Office of the Narcotics Control Board could arrest only a small amount of narcotics.

However, he has admitted that the officials will do their best and that it is difficult to totally demolish narcotics in the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2006

I do hope it will be a cleaner operation than the last. I was editor of a newspaper during the last crackdown and what I got on my desk every morning was NOT a pretty site. I also know for a fact that thousands were killed uneccessarily.

Dreadful stuff

He said the officials will concentrate more on suppressing the drug dealers rather than the buyers, especially in the 28 provinces of Thailand.

28 provinces? :o

I always thought Thailand had 76 provinces.

Anyhow, this is the same bullshit like always. It seems that for political purposes Thai specific studies of the drug trade are again ignored. Most visible dealers are also buyers, and the most heavily addicted buyers. And in every ring are at some point cops themselves involved, who are not beyond eliminating their lower level dealers to protect themselves.

Wiping out drugs? Ridiculous.

The only truth of that statement is that drugs are again on the rise.

He said the officials will concentrate more on suppressing the drug dealers rather than the buyers, especially in the 28 provinces of Thailand.

28 provinces? :o

I always thought Thailand had 76 provinces.

Anyhow, this is the same bullshit like always. It seems that for political purposes Thai specific studies of the drug trade are again ignored. Most visible dealers are also buyers, and the most heavily addicted buyers. And in every ring are at some point cops themselves involved, who are not beyond eliminating their lower level dealers to protect themselves.

Wiping out drugs? Ridiculous.

The only truth of that statement is that drugs are again on the rise.

Very well written.

The only town I ever heard of where dealers were afraid to work was a small one where the mafia boss (not involved in the trade) declared all drug dealing must stop or... That night the head of the police was removed from a nightclub by gunmen never to be seen again. At that time apparently drugs were very dificult to come by in the town.