Baking Potato

ThaiBob

Where can I buy a medium to large size baking potato here in Pattaya? I just purchased a nice size potato at Makro but it is not the kind of potato I like. It was a little yellow and much too sweet. Ideally I am looking for an Idaho russet potato. The potatoes at Villa looked the same as Makro but I could be wrong.

The variety of table potato grown here is called Spunta. Not sure, but I think it originated in China. You're not going to get the classic varieties that we get in our respective Faranglands. I don't think the temperatures and general growing conditions are suited to them - even up north.

It would be nice to find some King Edwards, Ilam Hardy, Jersey Benne or Russet Burbank....but it ain't gonna happen.

The local spuds are a bit on the sweet side but are great when mashed - just add a little milk and don't add any butter. Sour cream and salt dulls down the sweetness of a roasted spud for me.

My wife gets pots from the local market ,large and delicious when baked ,she makes the best i have ever tasted.

We are still talking about putting a whole potato in the oven and then taking it out again once it is cooked, right? How has your wife improved this process?? :)

My wife gets pots from the local market ,large and delicious when baked ,she makes the best i have ever tasted.

We are still talking about putting a whole potato in the oven and then taking it out again once it is cooked, right? How has your wife improved this process?? smile.png

First she microwaves the potato for 5 mins ,then gets tinfoil puts olive oil over the potato and rubs in sea salt covers it with the tinfol and bakes in the oven ,the last part she takes the potato out of the foil and contiues baking untill outside crisp ,bloody wonderfull i like tuna and cheese as a filling.

• Like 1

We are still talking about putting a whole potato in the oven and then taking it out again once it is cooked, right? How has your wife improved this process?? smile.png

First she microwaves the potato for 5 mins ,then gets tinfoil puts olive oil over the potato and rubs in sea salt covers it with the tinfol and bakes in the oven ,the last part she takes the potato out of the foil and contiues baking untill outside crisp ,bloody wonderfull i like tuna and cheese as a filling.

That does sound pretty good actually! I'd swap the tuna for beans though. b

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Villa Aree / Idaho Russets, with US dirt still on them. Delicious!

Got'em at Villa Market at the the Avenue. Thanks for the tip. They are small but I'll just double up. Been awhile since I have shopped there. Much more organized with high shelves.

• 3 weeks later...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM l ",large and delicious when baked ,she makes the best i have ever tasted." where does she bake them????

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM l ",large and delicious when baked ,she makes the best i have ever tasted." where does she bake them????

see above.