DMCA Complaints and Thai ISPs

HardenedSoul

A few friends of mine back in the UK have been banging on recently about their ISPs sending them notifications of DMCA copyright infringement complaints.

One or two have even had their VPN providers pulling them up and suspending their service until such time as the offending material has been removed from their network and/or computer.

My question is, has anyone had that kind of thing from a Thai ISP or is it likely Thai ISPs wouldn't give a monkey's?

I doubt it. Seems to me that the only thing that works well regarding the Internet in Thailand is bit torrent

I have never had it throttled and have had most of the ISP's that are available here over the years

A walk through Panthip in Bangkok, or Tukcom in Pattaya will show that Thailand isn't much worried about copyright rights no less DCMA ( Digital Millennium Copyright Act ) especially since it is a US law

• Like 1

I've never known anyone to have such a notice even in UK or USA. What are your friends publishing?

blink.png

You haven't been paying attention then

A LOT of ISPs receive complaints from agents hired by copyright owners.

The onus is placed on the ISP to contact their customer and warn them against using their connection to download copyrighted material

I've never known anyone to have such a notice even in UK or USA. What are your friends publishing?

blink.png

The onus is placed on the ISP to contact their customer and warn them against using their connection to download copyrighted material

I know people have been getting DMCAs. I just don't know anyone personally who's got one, like you do. So I'm just wondering what your friends are up to. If you publish your own material then there isn't a problem. If someone steals someone else's work, then of course someone will come after them.

blink.png

I know people have been getting DMCAs. I just don't know anyone personally who's got one, like you do. So I'm just wondering what your friends are up to. If you publish your own material then there isn't a problem. If someone steals someone else's work, then of course someone will come after them.

Well a couple of them told me their ISPs were sent notices by agents for HBO for downloading True Detective, a popular crime thriller.

One of them uses a VPN when he downloads and was quite surprised since he thought that provided him with a degree of anonymity.

blink.png

Well a couple of them told me their ISPs were sent notices by agents for HBO for downloading True Detective, a popular crime thriller.

One of them uses a VPN when he downloads and was quite surprised since he thought that provided him with a degree of anonymity.

I think someone using a VPN would be very easy to trace. People usually pay for the service and give their details. You need to be logged on, so super easy to know who you are.

• Like 1

A few friends of mine back in the UK have been banging on recently about their ISPs sending them notifications of DMCA copyright infringement complaints.

What on earth is a British ISP doing following American law? It's not like Britain is an American colony. (Last time I checked it was the other way around.)

What on earth is a British ISP doing following American law? It's not like Britain is an American colony. (Last time I checked it was the other way around.)

The British ISPs are following British law. Where do you get the idea that they are following American law?

The British ISPs are following British law. Where do you get the idea that they are following American law?

The reference to DMCA - an American law, not a British one.

What on earth is a British ISP doing following American law?

Why do you sound so incensed? They follow those laws for the same reason they abide by US patent and trademark laws. Because they want to have reciprocity, and it's the right thing to do. A country that thumbed its nose at US IP laws would soon find itself on the priority watch list (I'm looking at you, Thailand).