Is thailand comparable to england for food costs

2008bangkok

In Scotland last Summer I payed 6.80 for fish and chips!!

(340 baht)

Best place in the UK for ''Fish and Chips'' for sure...., further north, even better..

Best place in the UK for fish and chips is Grimsby.

Actually ''Scarborough'' too... down at the beach front...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share.

That is the de facto way that Thais eat - in groups.

Gin khao khon dio mai aroy!

Meals eaten alone don't taste good.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share.

Yes and if you make good mashed potato's or fried ones the Thai will love it!

My two best friends are Thai and they both own restaurants. The only time they eat potatoes is at Christmas. I think your idea of Thai food is not what Thais think is Thai food.

Thai food is very cheap and tasty, I love it. Took the missus out for a crayfish (lobster) dinner and paid nearly double what I would in OZ. 3400 Baht per kilo. But you should of seen those heads turn when the beast was delivered to our table. Talk about face !!!

I remember 10 years ago on the beach on Samui they were 5-600 a kg. Yes now they are expensive.

We were in a famous fishrestaurant with the company of my wife last month and i was amazed how busy it was and how expensive. If a restaurant has good seafood then loads of rich guys show up and order whole loads of it. If you like crab/mussles/oysters/lobsters/clams/prawns then Thailand has great food for you. If you want good fishfillets/steaks you have bad luck.

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share. Some karaoke places have great food and are perfect for those mini-party's.

I mean places like this one: http://www.watersidebkk.com/

This one doesn't have spectucalar food though (just okay) but it looks great and has a good atmosphere. There are loads of them.

This one has great food: http://www.bangkokkaraokecity.com/2012/

But this thread was about prices in the UK and Thailand.....This is better info than fish and chips talk though.

Live lobster last Sunday 700 baht a kilo. That is an increase of 100 baht in ten years.

How many people eat lobster on a regular basis?

Yes and if you make good mashed potato's or fried ones the Thai will love it!

My two best friends are Thai and they both own restaurants. The only time they eat potatoes is at Christmas. I think your idea of Thai food is not what Thais think is Thai food.

Why would they eat potatoes at Christmas ?

I have adapted to the local climate and shopping opportunities since retiring here to the LOS. My vegetable and fruit intake has increase dramatically and animal protein consumption has likewise taken a downward turn.

While I do enjoy the occasional "meat fest" at the local western buffet, i do this less and less and feel better and suffer a fatter bank account as a result.

Imported foods are nice and a treat for me, which I enjoy when I do eat them. However, my waste line and the desire not to become a physical wreck, has encouraged me to watch what I put into my mouth.

All in all, if I eat as I did back home, I would pay the price and have less for the travel that I enjoy so much.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

Thai food is very cheap and tasty, I love it. Took the missus out for a crayfish (lobster) dinner and paid nearly double what I would in OZ. 3400 Baht per kilo. But you should of seen those heads turn when the beast was delivered to our table. Talk about face !!!

I remember 10 years ago on the beach on Samui they were 5-600 a kg. Yes now they are expensive.

We were in a famous fishrestaurant with the company of my wife last month and i was amazed how busy it was and how expensive. If a restaurant has good seafood then loads of rich guys show up and order whole loads of it. If you like crab/mussles/oysters/lobsters/clams/prawns then Thailand has great food for you. If you want good fishfillets/steaks you have bad luck.

I like Thai food though but the best way to eat it is in a group of people and order loads of dishes to share. Some karaoke places have great food and are perfect for those mini-party's.

I mean places like this one: http://www.watersidebkk.com/

This one doesn't have spectucalar food though (just okay) but it looks great and has a good atmosphere. There are loads of them.

This one has great food: http://www.bangkokkaraokecity.com/2012/

But this thread was about prices in the UK and Thailand.....This is better info than fish and chips talk though.

Live lobster last Sunday 700 baht a kilo. That is an increase of 100 baht in ten years.

Red Lobster 700 restaurants and many other steak and lobster restaurants in the USA. 600,000 whole lobsters landed in the USA yearly. The trade amounts to about 2 billion US dollars a year.

Red Lobster 700 restaurants and many other steak and lobster restaurants in the USA. 600,000 whole lobsters landed in the USA yearly. The trade amounts to about 2 billion US dollars a year.

That's 0.002 lobsters per USA person per year. Again - how many people eat lobster on a regular basis?

• Like 1

My HP sauce 'aint on that list, cost twice as much (or more) in LOS.sad.png

The thread is about British or Thai food.

HP sauce is Dutch.

wink.png

HP sauce is now owned by a Dutch company. HP is a sauce developed in Nottingham (England) at the end of the 19th century wink.png

That's 0.002 lobsters per USA person per year. Again - how many people eat lobster on a regular basis?

Ah a pendant porridge again eh? Steak and lobster became a national trend in American Restaurants in the 1960's

Red Lobster branched out to just seafood. I believe Darden restaurants which owns 700 Red lobster full service restaurants is the largest chain of full service restaurants in the world. In the world. Suffice it to say lobster is a very popular dish in America. It is one brand name of the largest chain of full service restaurants in the world. I would guess the typical affluent American eats lobster a couple of times a month.

Dear Mr Pendant, I mentioned the price of lobster because another poster said it used to be cheap at 600 baht 10 years ago. So, it makes no difference to anyone except a pedantic poster how many people eat it as the price now is only 100 more than it was 10 years ago.

See, that is the point. Prices have not gone up much in 10 years in Thailand among lobster eaters.

Edited by thailiketoo

My HP sauce 'aint on that list, cost twice as much (or more) in LOS.sad.png

The thread is about British or Thai food.

HP sauce is Dutch.

wink.png

HP sauce is now owned by a Dutch company. HP is a sauce developed in Nottingham (England) at the end of the 19th century wink.png

...and now manufactured in the Netherlands (possibly in windmills).

Southern Thais do them pretty regularly - have a Massaman (mussleman -> muslim) curry sometime.

Yum, love that kao moek gkai (yellow rice with garlic chicken and cilantro sauce), crabmeat kaeng kari (yellow curry), sate sticks.

All for 30-80B a plate less than 20 yards from my front door.

Thai food is more expensive than in the west MY FOOT!

Edited by wym

Food comparisons always come to the same problem, if it's just nourishment for the body so you don't croak, or a source of pleasure.

I'll never understand people who have no taste buds, so I'll just go with the answer: good feed is always the price worth.

If you can subsist on munching rice and rabbit food, Thailand is probably better.

It always amazes me that someone could come here to live and only eat western food ,i have a friend who has been here 20 odd years and never eats "Thai Rubbish" amazing ,when i am back in the UK i miss Thai food so have to take some with me .

as for the prices ,from what i see many poor westerners eat crap packet food full of e numbers and god knows what ,at least poor Thais eat good fresh food.

Yes Thai food is great. But what food do you get if spending 1500 baht a week for 7 people ;)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by larsjohnsson

There are loads of bakery's in thailand, also the thai like to eat bread. The breads are different though, you can eat them straight away, they baked the fillings into the bread allready.

But to answer the question, yes it is cheaper in the UK.

On the market i bought a big carrot last week, 20 baht. In the Royal Project shop i can buy 3-4 organic carrots for that price.

On the market you have no idea what carrot you get or what is sprayed or done with it, the organic one tastes much better as well.

Thai don't eat much vegetables. They also eat meat from the markets, go have a look there yourself to see the conditions. Many restaurants also buy their ingredients on those local markets. They might be contaminated with formalin though.

Thai don't eat much vegetables ;) what thai dish can you order that don't have any vegetables?

He said 1500 Baht a day with 7 persons. That is a little bit more than 210 Baht a day or 30 per person. Your examples are for one meal and why is rice and veggies free?

Do you believe Mama noodles or khaow man gai is proper healthy food? And where do you live that rice costs 5Baht (here near CM it is 10 in the fresh market)? No fruits no sweets that is existing but not living.

You better buy glasses dude! He wrote per week. thumbsup.gif

Let's try it this way - my household of 7 gets by on under B1,500 per week.

That's a new Cheap Charlie record.

I don't get it why people here are bragging about how cheap and boring food they can eat with their families?

• Like 1

He said 1500 Baht a day with 7 persons. That is a little bit more than 210 Baht a day or 30 per person. Your examples are for one meal and why is rice and veggies free?

Do you believe Mama noodles or khaow man gai is proper healthy food? And where do you live that rice costs 5Baht (here near CM it is 10 in the fresh market)? No fruits no sweets that is existing but not living.

Rice is from the family farm and free. Vegetables are from the year round garden across the street and almost free.

The only thing we pay for is chicken, fish and pork. Mama noodles are a starch so yes when mixed with vegetables and protein they are fine. Cow men gai is rice and chicken and soup with root vegetables in the soup. It's fine. What is a hamburger or fish and chips? For four people for one day I would spend 80 baht for a chicken and the rest is close to free. Rice porridge for breakfast. Pork soup with noodles and spinach for lunch. Roast chicken with rice and vegetables for dinner. My cost less than 200 baht for 4 people. Good balanced meals.

Rice noodles soaked for a few minutes in hot water: 5 Baht. Boned out chicken thigh: 10 Baht. Couple of hands full of fresh vegetables: free mostly. Small amount of garlic and ginger: Free mostly. Couple of slugs of oyster sauce and or Soy, fish sauce. 3-4 Baht? Half a lime and a couple of chillies: Free. Tiny amount of oil for stir frying: 2-3 Baht? 22 Baht all in and half that for a vegetable only stir fry. Healthy and balanced lunch for one.

Where can I get all that free food? I have to pay for my food.

You compare prices eith UK. And then you say it's free here!! Yes sure ;)

Go out with the lads after work to the pub for a pint. How much?

Somchai goes out with his buddies after work to granny the moonshiners who has two 18 year old Trade School

senior grandaughters who help her with the customers at her small family store. Somchai and friends spend 5bhat per shot drinking Thai whiskey eating granny's home made pork meatball soup and chasing about with beautiful young Thai girls in blue and white school uniforms. They get drunk and ..... conversation for under 100 baht. How much do you spend?

Yes it's a lot cheaper here. But comparing prices at the pub in UK with moonshiners here is ridicilous

Organic Jasmine rice all you can eat, Free. The family provides.

Chili powder. Free. The family provides.

Beer Free. The family provides.

Whiskey Free, the Family provides.

Vegetables for soup. Free the family provides.

Water and energy for cooking. Government subsidy, might as well be free.

Chickens, fish, pork raised on the farm. Pay for feed. The chickens eat almost anything. They like bugs.

Lobster 700 baht per kilo.

Who privides the free house?

Organic Jasmine rice all you can eat, Free. The family provides.

Chili powder. Free. The family provides.

Beer Free. The family provides.

Whiskey Free, the Family provides.

Vegetables for soup. Free the family provides.

Water and energy for cooking. Government subsidy, might as well be free.

Chickens, fish, pork raised on the farm. Pay for feed. The chickens eat almost anything. They like bugs.

Lobster 700 baht per kilo.

So you're a leech, is basically what you're saying?

• Like 1

Let's try it this way - my household of 7 gets by on under B1,500 per week.

That's not sweets, snacks or fizzy drinks or even fruit juice, just wet-market fruit & veg, very low on animal protein other than eggs, lots of rice of course (25 kg couple times a month) supplemented by local street market for dry goods.

The equivalent in the US - assuming a location with decent stores not too far away - is at least USD $150 a week, food stamps will cover much more than that, but few poor Americans actually cook many meals, mostly eat factory-prepared junk food.

So any poor people from the UK with experience able to contribute a ballpark comparison?

My food costs here (live alone) work out at roughly 100 Baht a day though I do get the occasional hit every so often with things like olive oil and tomato paste. I tend to eat a lot of fish which is very cheap on Samui as is duck and chicken, pork not so much. When I go to the UK and stay with my sister's family (3 people) I buy pretty much all the food and pretty much cook every meal. Cost would be in the region of 200 bucks a week.

100bt a day .... lol , that's not enough to feed the dog. I bet that's all great quality stuff bought from Lamdin market coverd in free shit from a host of 1000 flies. Jesus Christ , cheapy charlie or what ... lol

This Article says it all... i would PAY any price..... for Healthy Natural Food...

Deaths of Quebec women in Thailand may have been caused by pesticide
Audrey and Noémi Bélanger died mysteriously while on holiday in 2012

By Julia Sisler, CBC News

QUEBEC: -- A highly toxic pesticide used to control bedbugs in some holiday hotels in Asia may have caused the mysterious deaths of two Quebec sisters travelling in Thailand as well as several other tourists, according to new evidence from a joint investigation by CBC’s the fifth estate and Radio-Canada’s Enquete.

Audrey and Noémi Bélanger set off on a trip through Thailand in 2012. Days after they arrived at the popular tourist destination of Phi Phi Island, a maid found the sisters dead in their hotel room. Both were covered in vomit, with their fingernails and toenails tinged blue.

Now, for the first time, a Thai official is admitting that the sisters were probably killed by pesticide.

“The most likely explanation is the acute intoxication and it is intoxication from the chemical that belong to the pesticide group,” Dr. Pasakron Akarasewi, with Thailand's Ministry of Health, told the CBC/Radio-Canada investigation.

At the time, local authorities suggested several possible causes, from food poisoning to drugs. The Bélangers requested that the Quebec coroner do an autopsy on their daughters. Almost two years since the autopsy was performed, the results have not been released. They are expected to be made public in June.

The CBC/Radio-Canada investigation received a tip about what may have killed the sisters that points to a lethal pesticide called aluminum phosphide. [read more...]

I too find these kind of comparisons ridiculous because they are searching only western food soucres in foreign countries. I can get all of the same ingredients here that I would buy in the US. With the exception of Milk and good beef everything is cheaper here. I don't buy packaged foods or prepared things so my costs are always going to be cheaper.

Whoever said Thais don't eat vegetables or potatoes must not go to the markets. A large percentage of the population is vegetarian so what do they eat? As for potatoes you are right that they are not traditional but often used in Masaman, Hin lay, Kao Mok, and many other dishes. Also if you ever introduce mashed to any Thai, they will be addicted to it. Not to mention fries.

I love how these threads always become about western diet versus Thai diet. You can use ingredients grown in Thailand to make western foods. First of all you can eat a very balanced, varied diet without breaking the budget. If you want to eat cherries, grapes, speficic apples, pears that are imported of course they are going to be more expensive than back in the UK or any other countries.

For breakfast we drink fresh squeezed OJ (tangerine) 120 baht 10 kilo bag, 160 in off season. Fresh fruit including, pineapple (20-30baht), watermellon or canteloupe (25-40 baht each), mango (25-45baht/kilo in season) Papaya (25-45 baht each). With a little yogurt for 3 of us it comes to about 100 baht a day.

Lunch eat out or something light about 150 baht for 3.

Dinner I cook a different meal each night of the week. (3 times a week usually a salad or steamed veggies with some steamed fish. I usually won't eat the same meal two times in a month. 50-200 baht meal depending and always have leftovers.

Subtracting baby formula from the equation we spend less than 10k baht a month for a family. We often spend a lot less because we harvest our own things from time to time and trade with other people.

• Like 1

Western brands seem so costly in BKK supermarkets...marmite/instant coffee/tea/oats/pure virgin olive oil etc. about 6-10 times the cost in NZ, but there I live on cheap lean pork/chicken/fish/fr + veg at a lot less. Always lose weight and feel much better without butter/white flour stuff etc. but have got stuck into the spicy hot cross buns with lashings of butter where it's cheap again.

Food was pricy when living in London in the 60s, but that was before the common market setup.

Also if you ever introduce mashed to any Thai, they will be addicted to it.

Don't know about Thais, but I introduced the Chinese GF to mashed potatoes, she introduced her family and now they're all addicted.

They don't add enough salt for my taste, but that's easy to fix. They do love the butter, which they never ate before.

OMG, I'm going to hell, aren't I?

On a side note, you eat lunch out at 150 baht for 3? I can't eat out near the office in BKK for 150 baht for me, unless it's in a food court and then I always feel like crap that entire afternoon. Point being that the food budget depends a lot on where you plan to live in Thailand, whether you have the time (and desire) to cook your own, whether the food vendors around you are catering to Thais or tourists, and whether you trust them to listen when you say "not spicy" or "no MSG".

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1